Kinda big news

Whatsittoya

Flying Dutchman's Sock
lol

The tweet verbatim said "believe it or not, the models are exactly the same as they were in Season 3, but every artist handles them a little differently"

Meaning that the model hasn't changed, it never has. SpongeBob's "new look" from Season 4 onwards is just a result of new artists. The model sheet never changed after Season 3 in the first place. Wouldn't make sense for them to go back to an old model again anyway tbh

Read the tweets below.

With sherm and other onboard we won't have the expressionless stiff rectangle that we had before

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Whatsittoya said:
Read the tweets below.

With sherm and other onboard we won't have the expressionless stiff rectangle that we had before
I think what Jibbix meant was the reason SpongeBob looks "stiff and expressionless" was because of different interpretations from new artists, but the models have not been changed since season 3.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Guys, i have a question. Did Tutor Sauce and Lost in Bikini Bottom already air? Or is it airing later?

The Drifter

Some person.
Season 3
SpongeBob_Season_3.png

Season 9
SpongeBob_Season_9.jpg

CatDogBryat said:
Ok, But I did ask him if he was really here, since members *coughDifftercough* Don't believe it is him.
Wow, that Diffter guy must be a dick.

The Drifter

Some person.
Doowop said:
When you show it like that, it does look like it's the same model used by different artists.
Exactly, SpongeBob's model never changes. It's his art style that change. Jibbix's right folks.

Whatsittoya said:
Season 9s is off in a way. Can't explain it.

Small eyes? Big nose? Small face?
His head is much square and shorter. But his model is still the same.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I'm just happy that the show is still using Hand-Drawn animation (One of the last shows on nick left to do so) and not being animated in CGI or in Flash.

GuyWithThePie

Floating Shopping List
Good, I hated modern SpongeBob's tiny faced boxy design with huge cheeks.

EDIT: "expressionless stiff rectangle" is how I would describe modern SpongeBob's design too.

Kululu

Imitation Krab
I'm digging this. I'm interested to see how things change now that new storyboarders are being added.

Back