Kelpy Ranks Season 8

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Yeah, yeah, I know people have done this before. But you know? It looked fun, so I wanted to take my own stab at it. Since I've been seeing a lot of Season 8 lately, it's the season I decided to go with. Without further ado...

KELPY RANKS SPONGEBOB SEASON 8

#47.
tpfOOgE.png

Alright, so kicking off the list is "Demolition Doofus," my least favorite Season 8 episode. Where do I begin? First of all, it's just dry. There's hardly a point where I laughed, and it was a very light chuckle at most. Keyword here is very. However, that isn't what puts it at #47 on this list, since there's hardly any laughter out of me for the next two choices as well. The thing that puts "Demolition Doofus" at the absolute bottom is the implications. I'm not sure if there's a single character that I like in this episode. I mean, Mrs. Puff literally wants SpongeBob dead! Of course, SpongeBob isn't much better, joking about crippling Mrs. Puff and saying she looks better that way. The doctor, while a more minor character, isn't really that funny either, seeming to find enjoyment from the pain of his patients. "Demolition Doofus" is overall one terrible episode that I wish I could forget. I wish.

HINT FOR #46: All around me are familiar faces. Horrifying faces.

Pinhead Larry

The Fountain of Squidward
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern I
I like these reviews, in depth and of a decent enough length. Hoping to see Face Freeze and Fiasco absolutely savaged.

Not to ask for attention, but could you check out my S5 one, I would like people to look at everyone else's countdowns and see what they think.

WayslideCool

Wellp, you guys guessed it.

#46.
X1yXPJy.png

"Face Freeze!" probably had fewer half-hearted chuckles than "Demolition Doofus," so why is it above? Well for one, "Face Freeze!" does not come with the horrifying implications of the other. The biggest sin commited is SpongeBob and Patrick trying to scare everyone with their "funny faces," and even at the end they learn their lesson. Aside from that, though, "Face Freeze!" is a pretty half-hearted episode full of several somewhat disturbing "funny faces," and no real plot to allow it to flourish. I'm okay with episodes that don't have heavy plots, but I don't think "Face Freeze!" even really has a plot. I'd bet about half the episode consists of SpongeBob and Patrick making their "funny faces" and showing them to everyone in town. I bet the animators had fun, because I will admit some of the faces do have interesting appearances, but it doesn't really allow for a pleasant experience towards the audience. "Hooky" and "Two Thumbs Down" have some similar aspects to this episode, but both do it much, much better.

HINT FOR #45: While most consider this episode bad, this episode I'd rather have resting in peace makes it surprisingly low on my list.

WayslideCool

HolographicMeatloaf said:
Are you Happy Now?
Not quite.

Jack M Crazyfish said:
Glove World R.I.P
You got it!

#45.
qYObbbZ.png

At one point in time, this was actually my least favorite episode of the entire series. Judging by the fact there are two below it in Season 8 alone, I suppose you can tell that's no longer true, though making it this low is a pretty bad thing to say the very least. This episode is also very dry in terms of humor, and gets rid of a pretty fun location, just to reintroduce it. I suppose I can put it ahead, because it has no unfortunate implications, like "Demolition Doofus" is original, and actually has a plot, unlike "Face Freeze!" However, "Glove World R.I.P." remains a very boring episode, with a fair amount of filler (see the "glove pun" part) and nothing really funny to help it out. Aside from the Glove Drop, I don't remember chuckling at really anything in this episode, and it definitely deserves a pretty low spot on my list. Doesn't help that it's paired with #46.

HINT FOR #44: Aside from a fair amount of Squidward Torture, the only thing this episode has is catchy title card music.

(half an hour passes with no one guessing. I didn't realize two posts in a row would attach together whoops)

No guesses, I suppose? These forums seriously could use for activity.
Anyway.

#44.
ShOvhDJ.png

Alright, so now we're moving out of the "Atrocious" episodes and into the "Terrible" episodes.

Yay?

Anyway, if I said there was an episode where the title card music was the most appealing part, would you believe me? Well there is and it is named "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom." This episode has a tendency to stick around too long at some parts, which really doesn't allow other parts to flourish as much as they could. Unlike the past three, this one actually has jokes! (Yay!) But not very many. I liked the "Lucky loser" sequence and some of Kelpy's dialogue, but otherwise, "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom" doesn't have much to offer. Aside from a jerky Patrick and some good ol' Squidward torture. Oh yeah! This episode is a two-in-one! Patrick's stupidity in this episode is extremely grating when he eats both SpongeBob and Squidward's backstage passes as a plot device. Plot devices are usually bad, and so is jerky Patrick. But jerky Patrick as a plot device? Squidward also endures a fair bit of pain, but hardly any of it is funny, and he has no reason to justify it. I think my biggest gripe with "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom" is that it has a good concept. You see, a bad episode with a bad concept, say "Face Freeze!" is bad, but there's not many ways it could be done right. Something like this episode, however, which has a brilliant concept and terrible execution? Just ends up kinda disappointing. It's not my least favorite of the season, but it's still a pretty bad one.

HINT FOR #43: Watching this episode certainly wasn't my happiest memory.

Baloo

I GAVE YOU A JOB!
Demolition Doofus: Agreed. This is terrible largely due to how Spongebob and Mrs. Puff act in it.
Face Freeze!: Just a dull forgettable episode to me.
Glove World R.I.P.: Somewhere between meh and bad for me.
Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom: Agreed. It's pretty much just Patrick being annoying and unneeded Squidward abuse

Next is Are You Happy Now? So far, I'm liking this list.

WayslideCool

Maybe you guys are good, or perhaps my hints are just too obvious. Either way.
#43.
6YWUHVs.png

"Are You Happy Now?" is a different kind of bad than the past four. I mean, it's still dry and humorless, but that's aside from the point. "Are You Happy Now?" seems to try to tackle the issue of depression. It actually is pretty accurate, I must say. The problem? The show is SpongeBob. Usually when I want to watch an episode of this show, I want it to be something that can cheer me up, and this episode is seriously a downer. It's probably one of the most depressing episode of the show, if not the entire season. Of course, it does have other problems. It has a bit of Squidward Torture, though it is somewhat necessary to move forth this episode's plot, and it's still not very funny, which is a problem with many of these bad SpongeBob episodes. The suicide jokes are also a bit tasteless, but I'm pretty sure enough people have talked about those. I don't know what else to say, really. Fortunately, it is paired with a really good episode, which I'll be talking about much later on the list.

HINT FOR #42: Let's stay on the track of memories, shall we?

WayslideCool

Your siding was right!

#42.
8rGedbc.png

Ah, memories. I have memories about this episode. Mostly bad ones. In fact, this is the first episode I strictly remember disliking, which is strange indeed suggesting "The Splinter" came out long before it. But I digress. Unlike some of the other episodes I've listed thus far, I can give this one props, since it felt like it was trying to be good, and I see the effort put into it. Heck, some later episodes on this list seem to try less than this one. However, it's #42 on a list of 47 episodes, so obviously it's still pretty bad. Unlike some of these other episodes, say "Demolition Doofus" and "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom," this one's concept isn't that good to begin with. During spring cleaning, Patrick convinces SpongeBob to become attached to his garbage. This alone isn't a great idea, and this episode doesn't do much with it, since it's pretty dry throughout. Squidward has some funny moments, ("Touching, creepy, but touching.") but overall this episode seems to stink more than all the garbage surrounding SpongeBob's house.

I will admit though, SpongeBob crying while wearing garbage as clothes while Squidward just looks at the audience disapprovingly was my desktop background at one point. It's funny out of context.

HINT FOR #41: This Patrick-themed episode would likely be the spot where "Glove World R.I.P." is on most people's lists.

WayslideCool

You keep on guessing right!
#41.
yBDc93E.png

Admittedly, the first time I saw this episode I didn't find it nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be. That being said, "Pet Sitter Pat" is most certainly not a good episode. It has a few funny gags, putting it ahead of some others, and I will admit, I actually didn't mind the flamethrower gag much, and I'd probably still say "A Pal for Gary" is worse, since at least everyone feels mostly in character in this one. Really, a lot of these episodes I won't have much to say about aside from "it's not very funny," since really that's the main flaw with so many of these episodes. This episode is a pretty bad Gary Abuse episode for sure, though I still say there are worse examples. "Pet Sitter Pat" is simply a bad episode that probably just gets a little more hate than it deserves. I dunno. It's still pretty bad.

HINT FOR #40: A Boating School episode with little to do about boating, and a similar problem to #41, albeit in lesser amounts.

WayslideCool

#40.
6MT8M1T.png

You guys are too good at guessing. That or I'm too obvious with my hints. Either way, this is another of those just... mediocrily bad episodes. You know, where it's bad and stuff, maybe aside from one or two funny jokes, but really the only thing that makes it bad is how unfunny it is. This is the hard part of reviewing because, what do I say? I mean, not gonna nitpick and take stuff like improper use of the "itis" suffix against this episode. But you know? It's just a plain bad episode. Patrick is sort of a jerk. At first it starts off mildly entertaining but it gets old around the time he prepares the treadmill and doesn't really get better from there. "Oral Report" is just a bad episode, with nothing else to really say. Not the worst Boating School episode of the season as long as "Demolition Doofus" exists, and not the worst jerky Patrick one since "Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom" and "Pet Sitter Pat" are both already on. Just a flat-out bad episode.

Hint for #39: All I'll say is that it's paired with one of the other episodes I've already talked about.

Jack M Crazyfish

I'm back, I guess.
House Sittin' for Sandy, Also I'm glad you're so dedicated to do this. Others that I have seen do this get lazy and don't get it finished, you however are flying through this ranking so props to you!

WayslideCool

Yep!

#39.
N1hunOW.png

Alas, we've gotten another episode pair out of the way, this time the 165 pair of Smoothe Jazz and this episode, "House Sittin' for Sandy." This is a fairly boring episode, where SpongeBob simply has to look over Sandy's house until everything goes wrong. Patrick shows up, but he's had worse appearances in this season. "House Sittin' for Sandy" has a few laughs, but not enough to really warrant anything I could consider "good" or even "meh." Plus they forgot to animate SpongeBob's helmet until like half the episode. I still question why they forget that so much in some of the episodes in this season. However, this is the only one not to really have a reason for it. Anyway, "House Sittin' for Sandy" isn't really anything new. "Wormy" has a similar concept and is miles funnier, perhaps because this episode just doesn't really have anything that makes it funny. Perhaps it would be a funnier episode if the destruction happened earlier on, and SpongeBob tried to hide it from Sandy when she came home. I dunno. This is just another plain ol' bad episode.

HINT FOR #38: A vacation episode sharing a primary problem with many other episodes lower on the list.

Back