Show News "Kamp Koral" SB Prequel title greenlit by Nickelodeon!

The idea of a SpongeBob prequel spin-off just seemed like a bad idea to me. The main characters act like children quite often, so making them younger doesn't really change them. Also, what's the sense of making a prequel series to a show with pretty much no continuity?

But what really turned off this show was the circumstances surrounding it. Nickelodeon knew that Hillenburg would hate this idea, so they decided to wait until the man died to pull this cash-grabbing move, or otherwise saw his death as an opportunity to make cash. That's just despicable, and I think it might be the final nail in the coffin for me with this awful company. They've done scummy things over the years, but this really takes the cake.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
I'm not up on Nickelodeon's corporate politics or even any of their current shows (beyond SpongeBob), so I'm sure there are some valid points here. Nevertheless, as someone who's gone through the "terrible teens" and "tortuous twenties" and come out the other end with a different perspective, I'm honestly befuddled by all the negativity surrounding announcements like this.

I learned long ago to simply tune out what I don't enjoy. There will always be silly/stupid people making silly/stupid decisions. So long as the mass destruction of society is not at stake, I tend not to worry about it anymore.

That's not to say we can't voice our opinions. Express yourself how you wish (as I am doing here), but I hope nobody loses sleep over this sort of stuff. It's just not worth it. ;)

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
After watching the PIEGUYRULZ video, I'm more on the negative side about this. I totally understand the frustration with this being disrespectful to Stephen Hillenburg with how quickly they went through with this after he passed. I also understand people thinking this show could be good, don't get me wrong, but the talk about "multiple spin-offs" is what really irks me. Spongebob is already not the kind of show that demands spin-offs with its simplistic world and characters, so that sets off a big red flag for me that they plan to put quantity over quality. I'd have to watch the show to fairly judge it, but I'm weary of the warning signs right now.

BobCarotte

meep
Do you think this is going to be dumb like those two January episodes?
if you're talking about nitwitting and filthy muck then yes (more like the former since that one is bottom 25 tier). it's not only that but nick's situation. even paul tibbit said it's a bad idea and lacks respect for steve hillenburg since he never wanted spin-offs. also, they announced it after he died so that makes it even worse...

BackToSpongebob

Floating Shopping List
After watching the PIEGUYRULZ video, I'm more on the negative side about this. I totally understand the frustration with this being disrespectful to Stephen Hillenburg with how quickly they went through with this after he passed. I also understand people thinking this show could be good, don't get me wrong, but the talk about "multiple spin-offs" is what really irks me. Spongebob is already not the kind of show that demands spin-offs with its simplistic world and characters, so that sets off a big red flag for me that they plan to put quantity over quality. I'd have to watch the show to fairly judge it, but I'm weary of the warning signs right now.
I agree completely. I think there could’ve been a possible interest if the supposed spin-off focused on background characters or side characters, but this is totally not a good idea. Multiple spin-offs are not what the show needs. The show needs focus on itself and not on other versions that will never reach the same popularity. I really hope they figure this out and cancel any future plans for spin-offs.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
God this makes me so angry. It is so blatantly disrespectful of Hillenburg's wishes for the show, and it almost feels like Nickelodeon waited for him to die. I was against the show before I saw PIEGUYRULZ's video, but after watching it it is so much easier for me to put my distaste into words. Also, the idea just feels really boring. When Nick announced they wanted to do spin-offs, I was hoping they were going to be about background fish or a different character or something. But no, we just get child SpongeBob (as if he doesn't already act like that). This show isn't really going to bring anything new to the table. Though, I am going to hope that it is animated well and written well. I'm probably not going to watch it (legally) though.

YouDontKnowSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
SpongeBob and Patrick should just have their story arcs told with in the main series. Kamp Koral could have easily just been a mini series with in the main series without aging down the characters and no CGI. Yes, summer camps for adults do exist. Spin-offs should just be used for supporting characters.

Back