Is there anyone who does not hate One Coarse Meal?

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I'm really considering rewatching this episode and try to maybe look at it from a different angle. Maybe it won't be as bad as how I remembered it. "A Pal for Gary" I still hate a lot.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
I used to hate it so much that it was my 2nd (and later most) hated episode, but now that I've watched it again recently, it's actually pretty debatable. Not to say that I like the episode, as I still think's it's pretty awful, but there are a few things that make it debatable for me.

One, the first half of the episode (before Mr. Krabs starts using the costume on Plankton) is actually really good. Plankton going through with his plan is actually really entertaining and cool, and there are a few funny moments there. Also, while I don't appreciate Krabs' sadism, I kind of like the nightmare scene. I like darker imagery, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the nightmare interesting.

Two, although I hate what Mr. Krabs did to Plankton (which was horrible, by the way), Plankton isn't exactly an angel here. In fact, there are some cases where he's JUST AS BAD as Mr. Krabs! He adores death and destruction. He's perfectly comfortable with murder and torture. He manipulates and lies to people, and is even willing to go as far as to cruelly betray and traumatize others. And he's feels almost NO sympathy for others (the only ones that I can tell he would feel the slightest bit of sympathy for are Karen, as well as his family. I would say Mr. Krabs, but THAT's still up for debate, considering New Leaf.). F.U.N., Walking Small, Sleepy Time (he slept comfortable dreaming about destroying a city, killing a lot of people, and almost crushed Gary), Welcome To The Chum Bucket, The Spongebob Movie, New Leaf, Spongicus, and Walking The Plankton are perfect examples of this! I still hate what Krabs did, but I can't say that Plankton is totally innocent. (Neither of them are, really)

And three, the ending is actually okay. Even though Mr. Krabs didn't get all that much comeuppance, Spongebob actually acts like his old self and stops Plankton from trying to kill himself. He told Plankton everything, and he even let Plankton have a little fun scaring Krabs. Now, you could argue that Spongebob used the projector of whales to scare him off, but I don't think he had any cruel intention behind that. So after Spongebob let Plankton have his fun, he was just trying to send him on his way. I think he was just trying to be the voice of reason. He was just there with Plankton to stop him from killing himself. NOT to have him torment someone. Knowing Plankton, Spongebob knew that he wouldn't stop tormenting Krabs, and while I think Krabs deserved to be scared stiff, I'm not angry that Spongebob used the projector on Planky-poo. Heck, think of it this way! Maybe Plankton hid in his house for a few hours, reluctantly stepped outside, and felt relieved at the fact that there are no whales to eat him! And he already knew that "Demon Pearl" was Krabs all along, so I don't think he would've IMMEDIATELY sunk back into his suicidal depression.

So that's why my opinions have changed a little on the episode. While I do think it's pretty awful, there are some things that cause me to debate upon whether it should be hated this much or not.

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
I actually feel pretty neutral about the episode. It's not good at all, and the suicide scene wasn't that bad. But the episode is boring and not that funny or anything, so that's why I don't like it.

I personally hate Are You Happy Now? more, too.

Supmandude

Squog
Yeah, I like it. :) I seriously can't believe people think the suicide scene was a joke. It wasn't, it was a plot device to show both the viewer and SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs has gone too far. It wasn't like he was going to kill himself out of depression anyway, he just thought he was going to die and wanted to get it over with. Not funny either but again, not a joke. Mr. Krabs wasn't the good guy in this, they were both in the wrong and SpongeBob was the good guy in the middle who cares about the best for both of them.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Supmandude said:
Yeah, I like it. :) I seriously can't believe people think the suicide scene was a joke. It wasn't, it was a plot device to show both the viewer and SpongeBob that Mr. Krabs has gone too far. It wasn't like he was going to kill himself out of depression anyway, he just thought he was going to die and wanted to get it over with. Not funny either but again, not a joke. Mr. Krabs wasn't the good guy in this, they were both in the wrong and SpongeBob was the good guy in the middle who cares about the best for both of them.
I'll have your take on the episode in mind next time I see it. That's probably most likely what they were going for and how they wanted the audience to interpret that scene. I think Krabs laughing when SpongeBob told him about Plankton's situation made it feel much worse than it actually was. It's not the kind of characterization that I'd like to see from him.

GordokTheMad

Stealing food is WRONG!
Supmandude said:
Yeah, when I saw Plankton attempting to get run over, I never saw any hints that it was supposed to be comedic. So I don't know where these people are getting hints that it was supposed to be a joke. =/

Mr. What Zit Tooya

Moby Dollar
I don't think it's the worst of S7 (APFG and SITW are much worse than this), however it's execution is what ruins it

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I do think it's one of the worst episodes of the season.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Yeah it's definitely pretty bad. The worst episode of the show? Definitely not (Stuck In The Wringer I'm looking at you). But it's wayyyy too mean-spirited and it isn't funny enough to work. I think now that it's been a few years since the worst of the modern SB hate, I can say I feel a lot more mild about the episode than I used to.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
nah, it is not a good episode because of how mean spirited this episode is, but I don't hate this episode.
I hate episodes mostly because they are boring, and that's not the case here. Yes, this episode is pretty bad in the execution and darkness, but I don't think it's boring but more like a meh in term of entertainment.
So, I think it is a bad episode(writing and execution) but I don't hate it(it's not boring).

SPNGBDDY

Resident SpongeBob Fanatic
Not a great episode, but I do agree the way SpongeBob acts like voice of reason does help the episode.
This is a bad episode, no doubt, but It's not bottom of the list for me. "What ever happened to SpongeBob" is in my opinion WAY worse.

Last edited:
Back