Is Tentacle Acres racist?

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Last time, I watch a YouTube channel The Things (I don't watch it that much), I heard them talk about a season 2 episode Squidville. They referred to the scene (see transcript below):

TA Guard 1: (pointing to SB and Pat): Were sorry, but you're kind isn't allowed here.

In your point of view, do you think Tentacle Acres is racist to other aquatic creatures in Bikini Bottom?

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Yeah it's pretty explicitly racist, or I guess species-ist.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Yes and so is Squidward himself

This episode is probably what prompted that debacle last year where University of Washington professor Holly Barker accused the show of propagating racism & colonialism

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
As part of the point, yes. There is no undertone in the episode saying that it's good or acceptable to discriminate. In fact, the implied moral of Squidville is how boring life would be if you were only surrounded by people like you 24/7.
I’ve always found it interesting that all the octopus’ there were seemingly like Squidward. Does that mean that most octopus’ are all boring and jerkish and “cultured” like Squidward? Or were they all like that because they lived in a place where everyone had the same VIEWS? Also, why is it called Squidville? Sure, it has a nice wring to it, but that just adds to the belief that Squidward is a squid and not an octopus. I get that the episode isn’t supposed to be taken too seriously, but it still raises questions.

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
I think you're looking too far into this, Spongebob and Patrick need a reason for it to be hard to enter tentacle acres for the plot be intresting and progress.

Back