Is Spongebob strong or weak?

Peterson

ʎlʇɔǝɹɹoɔ ƃuıdʎʇ ɹoɟ looɔ
Stuck in Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, England for
Spongebobs strength varies so much throughout the series it's hard to determine his true strength. Examples:

Strong:
Employee of the Month: He can pull an anchor.
You Don't Know Sponge: Rugged biceps...yet delicate eyelashes.
Karate(various episodes): He's just as good as Sandy when they fight.

Weak:
MuscleBob BuffPants: Can barely lift anything, even a stick with marshmallows.
Way of the Sponge: He was almost useless in the Karate parts(excluding the Krabby Patty fight scene)

Really, it's a matter of opinion. What do you think about Spongebobs strength?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
He's weak for the most part, but strong if they need him to be for a gag, such as hauling the anchor in "Employee of the Month". Similarly, the rugged biceps comment in "You Don't Know Sponge" was just part of a joke (rugged biceps being the manly opposite of delicate eyelashes), since he clearly doesn't have huge muscles the rest of the time. We've seen that he struggles to open mayonnaise, ketchup and tubes of toothpaste.

His standard strength level is "little peanut worm".

Old Man Jenkins☣

A Real Bon Vivant
27f.jpg

HarryPotterLives

Jaehee is Baehee
Why does everyone seem to think SpongeBob and Sandy are equal in karate? The only episode that shows them being equal is Karate Choppers, every episode before and after that shows Sandy being better.

Anyway, his strength varies depending on the episode, usually just for the sake of a gag. I think we're meant to think of him as weak, though.

Cha

I love SBM
Motivation can give you the strength to do just about anything y'all. That with it being a gag at the time like DadMom said. Sometimes Patrick can say really intelligent things, but does that mean he's smart all the time? No, not at all. It's just a gag.

Well maybe like for the episodes that he is weak he didn't work out enough. and In the episode he is not weak he worked out a lot.

I bet his absorbing rates affect how strong he is at times. That's why he can lift a car just 5 minutes after he's unable to lift an effin soda can. XD

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
I'd say that hes mostly weak, but at times, they give him a bit of strength for quick laughs and such.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
Physically, he's one of the weakest guys on earth.

But he is mentally superior. He has that "mental fortitude" that drives him to do things he normally couldn't do. He physique can be easily motivated to develop as fast as possible. For example, most of his "irrational strength" moment came in segments where he is driven to do something really 'in the need'.

1. In Employee Of The Month, he is able to drive an anchor because he desperately want to beat Squidward.
2. In SpongeGuard On Duty, he is able to lift a car with one hand because Patrick is drowning fast and he needs to save him.

But when he tries to use his strength to do rather optional things (showing off, doing small things, etc.) it's back to basic.

Of course, this analysis is by the point of view where SpongeBob is a real guy. In terms of cartoon logic, his strength varies since it's played for laughs.

Peterson

ʎlʇɔǝɹɹoɔ ƃuıdʎʇ ɹoɟ looɔ
Stuck in Center Parcs Whinfell Forest, England for
Sadly, motivation fell short as he tried to lift the anchor in MuscleBob BuffPants. He was really motivated and wanted to prove he wasn't weak, but the whole thing blew up on his face. Although, that's interesting to hear about motivation having an effect on SB's strength

11th

Moby Dollar
It's a typical case of "if you think about it, it won't work" in my mind. Whenever he shows greater than usual strength it tends to be split second reactions. With the anchor in "MuscleBob BuffPants" he was consciously trying to move it, and it didn't work. In "Employee of the Month" he wasn't thinking about the anchor, just trying to beat Squidward.

... But we're talking about a cartoon. P:

Back