Pyreflies of MJ

Imitation Krab
So, I got to thinking. In my previous musings, it would seem I stereotyped SpongeBob. I made the assumption that, because he is so touchy-feely, mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey, stuck-up-your-butt- affectionate, I thought he was probably a romantic asexual. But now that I really think about it again, it actually seems to make more sense for him to be aromantic.

I am aromantic, and I'd say that a negative stereotype that floats about is that we are dispassionate robots, but I 'aint and SpongeBob, well. 'Nuff said.

So I'm actually kinda' appalled that I didn't see this before – it seems there is no reason why SpongeBob couldn't be aromantic. In fact, it doesn't seem like he's ever shown a genuine interest in romance. Relationships are extremely important to him, but romantic ones are off the radar. I know he asked the “Magic Conch” if he'd ever get married, but does that even count!? lol

The point? Well, aromantic asexuals can have these things called “squishes” which is akin to a crush, but...not. It's hard to explain what a squish is, but it's an attraction that's not romantic in nature, yet distinctly different from platonic feelings for friends. I find this relevant because, a lot of people have said they view SpongeBob's interest in Squid as brotherly or hero-worship idolatry, but to me that doesn't quite read right. I think it' accurate to say SpongeBob and Patrick are like bros, and that SpongeBob maybe worships Mermaid Man, rainbow coated spatulas and jellyfish genomes. But Squiddy feels different.

I think that SpongeBob is likely not romantically interested in Squidward, but that he has feelings for him that aren't familial either. It's more like an intense squish, which can excel to “love” in the aromantic sense. It's quite possible to be in love, to fall in love with someone without the romantic nature of love – it's VERY hard to explain this but it's a real thing. It's different from sibling love, paternal love, or love between best friends. I have experienced it myself. And when people who have squishes form committed bonds with the person they are attracted to, it's known as a queer-platonic relationship.

So I think that maybe, canonically, that makes the most sense. Not that Squid would commit to a “bond” with SpongeBob, but that SpongeBob is experiencing a queer-platonic squishy love type thing....for Squidward.

*coughs and scuttles away*

The Drifter

Some person.
Stephen Hillenburg have stated that SpongeBob is asexual.
QayBzAf.png

From the ancient era of 2005: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1021976,00.html

PinkPearl

insert title here
*sigh* Is this debate still going on? He's a cartoon character. There's never going to be romance in the show, and if it's been stated by Hillenburg, that's that. Interesting theory but you're pretty much guaranteed not to see anything happen between Squidward and Spongebob in the show's history.

youraccent

Floating Shopping List
If you wanna be weird about it, SpongeBob is an aromantic asexual, although he does appear to like Sandy a little bit in "Tea at the Treedome" so there may have been a time he had romantic interests

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
If you wanna be weird about it, SpongeBob is an aromantic asexual, although he does appear to like Sandy a little bit in "Tea at the Treedome" so there may have been a time he had romantic interests
Agreed.

He can have romantic interests, just like Sheldon Cooper (who is asexual too).

Back