Is Season 4 still "bad"

Supmandude

Squog
People used to say all seasons after 3 are horrible, but they seem to make an exception for 4. Do most people still think of it as bad?

Will Season 5 ever be an exception? Or 6? 7? 8? 9? 10? 11?

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
season 4 has been getting lumped in with the classic seasons more and more often for almost a year and a half now

it's kind of happening with Season 5 but I really doubt the Season 4 process will fully repeat itself with any season after 4 and before 8. There's just too much garbage in that era to ever really be overlooked

end

Weirdly enough season 5 is also becoming an exception recently. I don't think I've ever heard anyone consider season 6 part of the golden age though. :|

Those people are the exception themselves, anyway. There's still tons of people in social media that consider everything after the movie to be pure sin, if that helps your case. :magicwink:

PinkPearl

insert title here
I definitely agree it's becoming more of a classic. Season 4 has always been a favorite of mine. I doubt it'll keep happening with the older seasons though, especially 6 and 7. A show's classic era won't include every episode.

Bl4zeTMG

Four Twenny Blaze
Season 4 in my opinion stared off quite well. The season wasn't too amazing (except for the obvious Krusty Towers) but it still had a lot to like. The bad episodes weren't too bad (Except for Good Neighbors which is one of the worst episodes ever) so overall it was good at best. People thought it was bad because it didn't have the same feel, season 4 feels very different to seasons 1-3, but if you look deep into it, it's pretty good.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
I remember as if it were yesterday. Everyone and their pet dog hated season 4. I saw so much complaining about it on TV.com back then. Things have significantly changed since then.

People generally don't like drastic changes and it can take years for people to look back and realize that hey maybe there was more merit to this season than I thought there was.

Faux Troll

Moby Dollar
I've always considered Season 4 to be a decline in quality, but not "bad." Many of the complaints have to do with the change in art style and SpongeBob's especially high-pitched voice (more so than later seasons) which can be kinda grating. Not so much with the writing. I have other reasons for not liking Season 4 as much as the previous ones though.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Nope. People are actually re-watching season 4 and admitting it's worthy of being pre-movie. Season 5 is slowly becoming this, too.

No, it is not conventionally bad anymore. Time does that to people.. the effect of nostalgia is beautiful and very scary.
Never forget that many people thought the show started declining in Season 3, a pre-movie season. Never forget.

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
Season 4 was...different. The art style obviously changed and a new crew came aboard. At the time it started airing I'm sure many thought it was bad because the general audience wasn't used to the episodes. The humor was different because the newer writers were-well-new to the show and weren't sure how it worked. It felt like a completely separate cartoon compared to the original. As the seasons went on they moved further in resemblance from 1-3 and compared to Season 5-on Season 4 would have somewhat similar traits to the first 3, and that's why people tend to associate some of Season 4 with the pre-movie.

Spider-man

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I consider season 4 as good, even great, but not "classic" I only consider seasons 1-3 as "classics"

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
The best way to describe season 4 would be to say it was like a semi-awkward puberty period for Spongebob. We had good episodes ("Have You Seen This Snail", "Lost Mattress", etc.) and bad ones ("Funny Pants", "Squid Wood", etc.).

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
All people consider their own "classic seasons." Season 1-3 is the most common one.

Back