Is Nickelodeon deliberately breaking Stephen Hillenberg's rules after his death?

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Stephen Hillenberg (1961-2018) made rules to the creative staff about SpongeBob. For starers:

1. SpongeBob is asexual. He must not have a love relationship, especially shipping with Sandy in the TV series.
2. The series must never have a spin-off, especially Kamp Koral. Not even a crossover, especially the now-cancelled plan for a crossover with The Loud House.

After he died, Nickelodeon is accepting the spin-off called Kamp Koral, and now declaring SpongeBob as a symbol of LGBT.

In your point of view, is Nickelodeon breaking his rules while he's in heaven?

eliugra

On-and-Off SBManiac
I appreciate the gesture toward human rights and awareness of LGBTQ issues.

However, I think making SB in a particular relationship or as an overt symbol of a movement gets in the way of the timeless, "just about friends and fun" themes of the show. Usually it's not a show that takes political or cultural stances.

EM.

Moby Dollar
I don't like how one of the guys working on Kamp Koral lied in his responses, from he doesn't really know what to say, to Stephen Hillenburg absolutely knew and Paul Tibbitt is irrelevant, to then he doesn't really know a whole lot and admitted to lying

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Either that, or they just don't care. They're a stooge company for a corporation that obviously broke both those rules for money. Respect for a creator's wishes is unfortunately not something to expect these days.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Yeah

I know people don't like hearing this but is it possible Nickelodeon might be intentionally sabotaging SpongeBob SquarePants in an effort to rid themselves of the show forever?

The signs are all there...

But this all begs the question:

Why did Nick decide to take a chance on Hillenburg if they never truly cared about him in the first place?

Or if they DID care about him at one point...

What made the executives at Nickelodeon turn against Stephen Hillenburg?

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I mean yes, Nickelodeon is disrespecting Hillenburg's rules, but to your first point, asexuals are part of the LGBT+ community, so Nickelodeon was completely in their rights to make that post about him. People just misconstrued it as them saying SpongeBob was gay (which technically he can be, just in the romantic sense, not the sexual sense).

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
I've been a fan of the show since its debut in 1999. I think it's a very welcomed gesture to announce SpongeBob as an icon of the LGBTQIA+ community, both as asexual and as gender non-conforming. SpongeBob has always broken the mold when it comes to being uniquely himself. Growing up, I always saw SpongeBob as being someone who is unafraid to be himself despite the criticisms of others. I think, for those reasons, I love the idea of SpongeBob being a LGBTQIA+ icon. This goes beyond just sexual attraction (or lack thereof). This is celebrating individual differences and showing the world that is okay to be yourself.

Even with Hillenburg's statement of SpongeBob being asexual, it's canon with the show.

Regarding breaking Stephen Hillenburg's rules - We always knew that some of these rules would go away once Hillenburg was out of the picture... the show must go on... but I think that's where we, as consumers, have the ability to help Hillenburg's legacy continue. Nickelodeon will only make decisions based on where the money goes, so vote with your actions. If you don't support a spinoff then don't watch it. If the spinoff isn't profitable, then they won't continue making it. However, evidence does point toward Hillenburg knowing about Kamp Koral, so I'm probably going to give it a try!

Last edited:

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
I knew that post was about SpongeBob being asexual. Also, didn't they have SpongeBob and Sandy get "married" in Truth or Square? Even then, it was a play, but asexuals still can harbor romantic feelings.

Back