Iris out as the episode's ending

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Lately, the creators really like to end the episodes with the iris out (before this, the only examples of that transition were "Wishing You Well" and "Rodeo Daze"). This really bugs me, because I actually miss times when the BGM could actually end after the fade out (seasons 1-5) or cut to black (seasons 6-8).

FYI, here is the list of episodes which used this type of transition.

Season 9B:
Married to Money
Sharks vs. Pods
Salsa Imbecilicus

Season 10:
House Worming (and Clam Up!)
Plankton Retires / Trident Trouble

Season 11 (a HUGE load):
Stuck on the Roof
Krabby Patty Creature Feature
Bunny Hunt
ScavengerPants
Cuddle E. Hugs / Pat the Horse
Drive Happy / Old Man Patrick
Fun-Sized Friends
Doodle Dimension / Moving Bubble Bass
High Sea Diving / Bottle Burglars
My Leg!
Shopping List
Whale Watching / Krusty Kleaners
Patnocchio
...and then up to the end of the season.

Thank heavenly God season 12 starter didn't end with an iris out.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I guess it’s for that cartoonier effect, but there needs to be some balance in those, simple cuts and fade-outs, though the latter are next-to-impossible for the current editors to do for some reason.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
I miss how in early seasons it would gradually fade to black
The fades to black (and to the title card, actually) stopped after everything went digital since "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob".
fade-outs, though the latter are next-to-impossible for the current editors to do for some reason.
Nowadays, I don't find any animated shows that went into commercials/ended their episodes with fading to black. Perhaps it has to do something with the fact that before 2008, the shows were edited on VHS.

spongebranch

Banished
The fades to black (and to the title card, actually) stopped after everything went digital since "Whatever Happened to SpongeBob".
Nowadays, I don't find any animated shows that went into commercials/ended their episodes with fading to black. Perhaps it has to do something with the fact that before 2008, the shows were edited on VHS.
They can’t be edited on vhs because vhs is made from cheaper magnetic materials that wear out quickly. You’re obviously mixing it up with Betacam which uses much more expensive magnetic materials. Plus Digital Betacam/HDCAM can store digital data and work with computers.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
It might be because the show is more "cartoony" now. But I see what you mean.

It also could be because of the animation quality and budget increasing, which may explain why the title card transitions changed as well.

spongebranch

Banished
Trenchbillies has an iris out at the end (a heart shaped one)

plus SpongeBob You're Fired has a fade out and fade in added to the end of part 1 and the start of part 2 respectively on Nickelodeon USA airings and nearly every Season 10 episode and the first 2 Season 11 episodes have very cheesy fade in/fade outs added at the beginning/end of the intro and episode segments, even killing the light switch gag at the end of "Cave Dwelling Sponge". Same for It's a SpongeBob Christmas (not at the title card though)

spongebranch

Banished
oh and Komputer Overload has a fade to black at the very end and that was from Season 6.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
My favorite type of cut would be the gradual fade to black. My least favorite is the iris out it's too cheesy. I also don't like the sudden cut to black.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Original Raw and Uncut said:
My favorite type of cut would be the gradual fade to black. My least favorite is the iris out it's too cheesy. I also don't like the sudden cut to black.
Cut to black started to become prominent when the episodes started to be edited digitally (since WhoBob WhatPants?), but few notes of the background music or something else were still heard after this (the most famous examples are Suction Cup Symphony and Earworm; I also remember "Marlin March" quietly ending in Bubble Buddy Returns after SpongeBob stops talking or "Friends and Family" fading out in A Day Without Tears). Since the start of season 9 and the transition to HD, however, nothing is heard after the cut to black (the only exception is Squirrel Record, but that was done intentionally).

Back