Interview with Mr. Lawrence, the voice of Plankton

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
From mycentraljersey.com:

East Brunswick native voices SpongeBob Squarepants character

Sheldon J. Plankton, the villainous character on SpongeBob Squarepants, is in a never-ending search for the secret formula in his nemesis’ Krabby Patty recipe. Though Plankton continuously fails in this quest, Douglas Lawrence Osowski, who voices the tiny sea creature on Nickelodeon’s animated series, found the secret formula that led to his own success – animation.

Ever since he was a kid growing up in East Brunswick, Osowski wanted to be a cartoonist.

“Sports didn’t interest me,” he said. “I tried, but it didn’t really go my way.”

His goal was to create a comic strip in the style of Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts. Early on, he learned he had a talent for drawing. After high school, Osowski studied at The Kubert School in Dover, and that’s when he discovered animation.

“I was amazed by it,” he said. “It became an obsession.”

After two years, he felt he had enough of school and moved to California, where he started out doing stand-up comedy. Osowski found work at an animation company, where he wrote, directed, animated and voiced characters on shows such as “The Ren and Stimpy Show,” “Rocko’s Modern Life” and “Camp Lazlo!” But you won’t see his name in the credits. Not his real name, anyway. Using his middle name, he goes by the more formal title of “Mr. Lawrence.”

“I was trying to come up with a comic strip when I was in college,” he said. “I wanted a name like Dr. Seuss, but I’m not a doctor. I started using Mr. Lawrence because it just seemed funny.”

After moving to Burbank and getting more work in the animation industry, Osowski said his agent told him he should stick with using the name “Mr. Lawrence,” so he did.

“Everyone who knows me calls me Doug,” he said. “I don’t make people call me Mr. Lawrence.”

Enter Spongebob

He was working at “Rocko’s Modern Life” when he met Stephen Hillenburg, the marine biologist-turned-animator who later created “SpongeBob Squarepants.”

“I helped Stephen with the story and then I auditioned for SpongeBob,” Osowski said. “I used my Plankton voice, which sounds like a mix of Tony the Tiger and Gregory Peck. It’s actually an imitation of a friend from high school that had a really deep voice.”

Hillenburg wanted someone with a more innocent voice, so Osowski didn’t get the part. He was disappointed, but later was told his voice would be a great fit for the villain.

“The Plankton character was only supposed to be in one or two episodes, but I was a writer on the show and I really liked this character,” Osowski said. “Stephen told me to come up with more ideas for Plankton. I’m not just his voice. I get to create how the character is written and how he evolves over time. You very rarely get that experience.”

Osowski enjoys going to conventions and doing Plankton’s voice for his fans.

“Sometimes the little kids get freaked out,” he said.

Plankton isn’t the only character on the show that Osowski voices. His characters include Larry the Lobster, Old Man Jenkins and a voice in the background that occasionally yells, “My leg!” Osowski has writing credits on 70 episodes and was nominated for a 2011 Emmy Award for Outstanding Short-Format Animated Program.

“Usually, with voices, you do a season or two and you’re done,” he said. “I’ve been doing this for 15 years, working with a great set of people who are very good at what they do.”

Why does Osowski think the SpongeBob franchise has lasted so long?

“It’s a quality show and I think it came along at the right time,” he said. “America wanted something stupid after the insanity of 9/11. The SpongeBob character is a naïve idiot but he also has a heart. He’s a dumb, well-meaning person, like Forrest Gump or Jerry Lewis.”

What surprised him, he said, is that the voice actors on the show are very similar in nature to the characters they play.

“There are pieces of us in all of those characters,” he said.

Osowski said the actor who plays cranky Squidward Tentacles gets annoyed very quickly.

“He’s kind of a curmudgeon,” he said.

Clancy Brown, who plays Mr. Krabs, is an imposing fellow, Osowski said.

“We know him as a movie star,” he said. “He was in ‘The Shawshank Redemption.’ I’m the villain on the show, yet Clancy scares me.”

Self-assessment

When speaking of himself, Osowski admits he often has delusions of grandeur, just like Plankton does.
“I always get disappointed because of schemes I want to pull off or if shows that I want to create don’t work out,” he said.

Osowski , who lives in Burbank, California, with his wife Mary Ann, usually spends one day a week working on SpongeBob, so he has plenty of time to devote to other projects.

“I work on short films and other projects I’m trying to sell,” he said. “I’m always pitching movies and TV shows. I have various development deals around town.”

His work is diverse. Back in 2009, Osowski and musician Rob Zombie co-wrote and co-directed an R-rated animated film called “The Haunted World of El Superbeasto.” He also drew an album cover for parody songwriter Weird Al Yankovic, who he met through a mutual friend. It was a compilation called, “The Food Album,” so Osowski drew a slimy monster eating Yankovic.

“It was a subversive idea and he loved it,” he said.

These days, Osowski is head writer on “Mighty Magiswords,” a comedy spoof of the Zelda video games. The show is an online series from Cartoon Network.

Osowski credits much of his success to his upbringing in East Brunswick.

“The arts were very prevalent in my school,” he said. “The East Brunswick school system was very influential to my career, as well as the parks and recreation department, which let me make two years of live sketch comedy shows in the summer on the high school stage. It was a great place to grow up.”

Osowski’s father, Larry, is owner of Hanco Service, a heating and air conditioning company in South River. His own father started the business back in 1957.

“I knew early on that Doug was never going to do what I’m doing,” the elder Osowski said. “He has been drawing since he was four years old. Whenever he saw an empty piece of paper, he drew on it. We always encouraged him. Doug loves what he’s doing and I’m so happy that he’s doing well.”

No matter what else he does in his career, Osowski will likely be known always as Sheldon J. Plankton, owner of the Chum Bucket restaurant and chief rival of Mr. Krabs.

“I’m going to be Plankton forever,” he said. “It will be on my tombstone, and I’m okay with that.”

Supmandude

Squog
illiniguy34 said:
Nice! Though him saying

kinda rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
I don't see why there's anything offensive about that. I heard in a documentary that one of the reasons the campiness of the 60s Batman was so popular was because of the Kennedy assassination. People tend to want lighter entertainment that isn't serious at all when there are real tragedies going on in the world.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
Supmandude said:
I don't see why there's anything offensive about that. I heard in a documentary that one of the reasons the campiness of the 60s Batman was so popular was because of the Kennedy assassination. People tend to want lighter entertainment that isn't serious at all when there are real tragedies going on in the world.
That might also be why Star Trek was so adored in the 60s. During the living heII of the civil rights movement and the war, people looked to that show for optimism. It showed a very optimistic view of the future, and it had a racially diverse main cast, which was revolutionary at the time. And it was very campy, too.

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
I wasn't offended, just was put off by the use of "stupid".

The Lazy Starfish

Frozen Cephalopod
:| "Stupid after the insanity of 9/11" Wow that dosen't sound too right but the rest of the interview was pretty intriguin.

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
I don’t like how Mr. Lawrence calls the show “dumb” and he calls SpongeBob “dumb” and an “idiot”. I know I’m quoting that out of context, but it is what he says and Hillenburg used to say SpongeBob was just supposed to be naive and Patrick was the dumb one.

Makes me think that he doesn’t really understand what the show is about.

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Scary Mustache Guy
I don’t like how Mr. Lawrence calls the show “dumb” and he calls SpongeBob “dumb” and an “idiot”. I know I’m quoting that out of context, but it is what he says and Hillenburg used to say SpongeBob was just supposed to be naive and Patrick was the dumb one.

Makes me think that he doesn’t really understand what the show is about.
Since you brought it up, I do think I remember Jay Lender (someone most people will agree understands the show well) saying that Derek Drymon and/or Stephen Hillenburg pushed the (pre movie) writers to write in more absurd and stupid ways (and it paid off imo). Mr. Lawrence saying this seems to jive with that.

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
Since you brought it up, I do think I remember Jay Lender (someone most people will agree understands the show well) saying that Derek Drymon and/or Stephen Hillenburg pushed the (pre movie) writers to write in more absurd and stupid ways (and it paid off imo). Mr. Lawrence saying this seems to jive with that.
Yeah now that I think of it Drymon and Hillenburg would probably have no issue with calling the show “dumb” in a loving way, but the use of the word “idiot” when describing SB just felt off to me.

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Scary Mustache Guy
Yeah now that I think of it Drymon and Hillenburg would probably have no issue with calling the show “dumb” in a loving way, but the use of the word “idiot” when describing SB just felt off to me.
I kind of agree, just because SpongeBob in the first three seasons never struck me as being actually dumb like Patrick was. I don't think SpongeBob was ever supposed to be an "idiot" type character, which was what made Seasons 6-8 so frustrating for me.

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
I kind of agree, just because SpongeBob in the first three seasons never struck me as being actually dumb like Patrick was. I don't think SpongeBob was ever supposed to be an "idiot" type character, which was what made Seasons 6-8 so frustrating for me.
Yeah, unlike Patrick who is supposed to be stupid I feel like SpongeBob is just supposed to be naive. I feel like naive is a better word to describe him than an idiot

Neon2500

Floating Shopping List
Yeah, unlike Patrick who is supposed to be stupid I feel like SpongeBob is just supposed to be naive. I feel like naive is a better word to describe him than an idiot
Well to be fair Mr. Lawrence said “naive idiot”, but it’s just weird because Hillenburg used the words “naive” and “idiot” separately to refer to SpongeBob and Patrick respectively.

Back