In terms of animation, Season 5 looks a lot more like modern SpongeBob than pre-movie does.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Anyone notice how season 2-3 look way more different from season 5, than season 5 does from season 12:

This is what a typical season 2-3 episode would look like:
SpongeBob - Sailor Mouth

Here's what a typical season 5 episode looks like:

SpongeBob - Banned in Bikini Bottom

Here's season 12:

File:Breakin' 032.png

Weird. "Sailor Mouth" and "Banned in Bikini Bottom" are only six years apart, and they look like they were animated by two completely different studios. But "Banned in Bikini Bottom" and "Breakin', are 12 years apart, and they still look very simular (Same color palate, similar line thickness), the only difference is the fact that S12 is in HD. Isn't it weird how the early post-movie seasons look a lot more like modern Spongebob than pre-movie. I've heard somewhere that season 2-3 were animated using different software, which is why the show's animation hasn't really changed much since season 5 or so (With the exception of some ugly-looking season 6 episodes).

KalloFox34

Floating Shopping List
Guide to telling what season you're watching:

If SpongeBob is colored with a more pale shade of yellow, it's probably a Season 2 episode.

Anyone notice how season 2-3 look way more different from season 5, than season 5 does from season 12:

View attachment 11691

View attachment 11696

Here's season 12:

File:Breakin' 032.png' 032.png

Weird. "Sailor Mouth" and "Banned in Bikini Bottom" are only six years apart, and they look like they were animated by two completely different studios. But "Banned in Bikini Bottom" and "Breakin', are 12 years apart, and they still look very simular (Same color palate, similar line thickness), the only difference is the fact that S12 is in HD. Isn't it weird how the early post-movie seasons look a lot more like modern Spongebob than pre-movie. I've heard somewhere that season 2-3 were animated using different software, which is why the show's animation hasn't really changed much since season 5 or so (With the exception of some ugly-looking season 6 episodes).
Yep. Season 4 onwards is animated with Toon Boom, while Seasons 2 and 3 are animated traditionally, but then colored with digital ink-and-paint.

What's funny is how SpongeBob has only used one studio for the whole series (Rough Draft Korea).

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish

If SpongeBob is colored with a more pale shade of yellow, it's probably a Season 2 episode.

Yep. Season 4 onwards is animated with Toon Boom, while Seasons 2 and 3 are animated traditionally, but then colored with digital ink-and-paint.

What's funny is how SpongeBob has only used one studio for the whole series (Rough Draft Korea).

Season 4 and season 6 also has pale SponegBob

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0

This is some information I never knew I always wanted! Now I’m going to go research all about Toon Boom and Rough Draft Korea. MANY THANKS!!!:drown:

SpongeyMind

Balloon Traveler

View attachment 11691

View attachment 11696

Here's season 12:

File:Breakin' 032.png' 032.png

i always thought season 5 animation was a lot closer to modern

Back