I'm working to archive as many SpongeBob Flash games as possible!

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
(yay first post)

Hello, I'm apart of a large Flash game preservation project called Flashpoint (http://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/) that aims to archive as many Flash games as possible (plus more) before 2020. So far the collection is at over 6,500 games and its Discord server has nearly 2,000 members. But this isn't what the post is about.

Since I joined the Flashpoint community exactly one month ago (coincidence? I think not!), I've taken interest in archiving old SpongeBob Flash games, many of which are a big part of my childhood. Back in 2017, Nickelodeon revamped their site, breaking the game pages for every single Flash game on the site. Fast forward to 2018, and now the site is misleading users into thinking that those games aren't available anymore, when in reality, [almost] every single Flash game is still fully intact! Therefore, I'm going on a journey through the Wayback Machine and nick.com/games/data/spongebob/ to piece together these once-playable Flash games for future generations to enjoy.

At the time of writing, I've archived a total of 61 Flash games, including all nine ancient Shockwave games. Additionally, I've pieced together a checklist of hopefully every SpongeBob Flash game ever made (which totals up to around 200), along with a Batch script to automate retrieving game data from 10th Anniversary Flash games developed by This is Pop. Each Flash game is structured for submission to Flashpoint (which requires a specific file setup), so if you want to find the actual game data, look inside /[Game]/content/localflash. While some games are playable as standalone SWF files, others require browsers and web servers, so without Flashpoint itself(which simulates a web server to get games to work), playing those games might be a hard task.

And last but not least: The link!

https://archive.org/details/SBSPWebGames

I hope to archive all SpongeBob Flash games before it's too late. But until then, enjoy what I already have!

Thank you for this. Seriously. I've always loved SpongeBob flash games and just flash games in general, and so I really do appreciate the effort you guys put into Flash games being archived. Wishing the best of luck for your project on preserving as much of these games as possible.

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
ghosts_of_all_goblins said:
I just realized that this statement is incorrect. You've been around longer than I have.
I meant Flashpoint, but I should've made it more clear; Sorry about that

ExtraAbsorbent

Moby Dollar
Does this include the UK Where's Gary flash game? I didn't check. http://microsites.nick.co.uk/spongebob/Games/swf/WheresGary/GameALL_30.swf

It's different than the Trail of the Snail game.

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
ExtraAbsorbent said:
Does this include the UK Where's Gary flash game? I didn't check. http://microsites.nick.co.uk/spongebob/Games/swf/WheresGary/GameALL_30.swf

It's different than the Trail of the Snail game.
Oh, thank you for reminding me!

A while back I actually did try to archive this game. Of course, I didn't really understand the fact that some Flash games used external files so it didn't get anywhere, until another member of the Discord server (eientei95) was able to get the game partially working through hacking, but after a "thank you" from me nothing much happened afterwards. I've downloaded the file he posted and I'll get it ready for curation for Flashpoint and for addition to my own collection.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Very awesome. It's too bad a lot of these weren't grabbed years ago when it would have been a lot easier heh
Fun to mess around with the old flash games every once in a while

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
Currently in the progress of moving all the game files outside of the shared folder to make way for some hopefully better-organized versions of those same folders, don't know how long it'll take (75 games and over 500 files!)

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
And in a surprise turn of events, Wumbo archives a game that's not Flash! SpongeBob: Shrink n' Sink Golf, a game I have never heard of before in my life, uses the 3DVia plug-in and will be apart of the archive. Thanks to nosamu at the Flashpoint Discord for providing a link to the installer! (https://mega.nz/#!3WAh1AKa!-LjoQM0BqaXZg6u8_zUtdHpvnhU_AKo55KFPuGaJ6BI) (Installer will download the plug-in for Internet Explorer and old Firefox versions)

And coming soon (if all goes well), the online versions of SpongeBob Saves the Krusty Krab and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie 3D Game!

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
I never thought I'd have the guts to do this, especially in the span of a month, but the collection now consists of one hundred games!

Here's to 100 more! (Literally)

IWumboYouWumbo

Imitation Krab
(I wish I didn't have to triple-post)

I'm glad to say I've concluded the project with a grand total of 192 games! I'm currently in the cleanup process which involves organization by source and making sure everything is complete... hopefully it won't take long

Back