I'm still a long-time SpongeBob fan but my parents still won't shut up about letting me quit the show...

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
I've been watching SpongeBob SquarePants for 16 years now. Me and my friends and younger sister always talk about SB. Unfortunately, the people who doesn't want to hear about SB is my parents. Why? Here are the reasons:

1. The reason why is because I'm already too old for the cartoon. I'm 19 years old now and almost 6 ft tall.
2. My parents blame the show for causing me poor attention spans (especially to my parents and teachers), poor attitude (I'm not always a Squidward in real life) and developmental delay (since I'm mildly autistic).
3. Generally, the conflict of generation (e.g. Gen-x vs Millennials) has something to do with this issue. My dad is a Gen-X and my mom is a Millennial (Gen-Y). I told them that SB has become a cultural phenomenon and they won't accept my excuse, even if it's a sarcasm. I believe that the majority of SB fans are mostly zoomers (Gen-Z) and few are millennials. Nowadays in general, conflicts between Gen-X parents an their zoomer children became common (e.g. Gen-X mom/dad takes away his/her son and/or daughter's gadget just to study).

Just because I'm a fan of SB, my parents still won't shut up about making me quit watching the most beloved Nick TV series. I love my parents, but t's just they won't leave me alone about my personal interests, passions and independence. My mom is way too irritating than my dad.

SpongeBob is literally a cultural phenomenon in the 21st century today. Me and my friends use SB as memes and morals (except one bad moral in Stuck in the Wringer). Unfortunately, only zoomers and millennials (who are born between 1990 and 1996) understand the connection and application of SB in everyday life. My dad doesn't want to talk about SB just because I'm immature. My parents simply thinks that SB is for 5 to 12 yrs old. Looks like Gen-X and boomers generally don't believe in SB applied in everyday life.

If my parents don't want me to watch SB anymore, then what should I watch?

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Watch Caillou.
Well, I did grew up with Thomas and Friends; Pingu and Baby Looney Tunes.

Your parents will be so upset that they might settle for SpongeBob. The risk is that they could send you to a psychiatrist instead, and I wouldn't blame them
Not really. Everytime my mom ruins my to watch SB (especially the premiere of its new episodes), just because of the news; I always lose because my parents keep arguing with me when it comes to SB. If I watch other shows, like Hero Academia or Sailor Moon, there's no problem for that. I'm so sick and tried of arguing with my parents. And I really wish I could live in peace.

Last edited:

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I feel your pain, man. My parents respect and accept my SpongeBob obsession but they’d wish it out of existence if they could, I know it. (Both my obsession and the show.)

I say, keep watching it. It brings you joy at a time in your life where you’ll need it. Like you said, it’s a cultural phenomenon, and it’s also a show you love and grew up with (I assume). You don’t have to watch something different! Not unless you want to.

Maybe your problem is that you talk about it too much? That’s when my parents got concerned and irritated with me. For me personally, it’s so hard to control my fangirl urges. I always have a SpongeBob quote/reference at the ready; I can almost recite entire episodes; my room is full of merch. That doesn’t make my parents any more willing to accept my obsession, if I flaunt it like that.

Just keep it on the downlow...

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Watch Caillou.
Well, I watched Caillou once, and it was very bad than SB. Caillou is a very whiny and selfish brat that made every parents in real life restrict their children watching this whiny children's TV show. However, these boomers Lillard and Christakis (2011) proved that SpongeBob is worse than Caillou in terms of affecting 4-year-old children's attention spans. Assume that the SB episodes used in the 2011 pediapsychological study are from seasons 6 and 7. Good thing Nickelodeon replied that SB is for aged 6 to 11 since those boomers literally don't know TV-Y7 (or rated G for general patronage in my home country). This study is probably believed by my therapists and that's why my parents and few of my therapists want me to stop watching SB. I'm still into SB as of now.

No offense to my parents and therapists. I'm lookin at you boomers (Lillard and Christakis)!

Back