I'm giving up the show after the 3rd movie

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I have realized it's time for me to let go of SpongeBob SquarePants

I need to move on to more adult shows and I feel like I shouldn't be obsessing over how I want Nickelodeon to change (even though I do)

Plus IMHO the series has been getting more and more babyish

I just need to accept that SpongeBob isn't for me anymore

As hard as it is to believe, I may have outgrown this show

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
I have realized it's time for me to let go of SpongeBob SquarePants

I need to move on to more adult shows and I feel like I shouldn't be obsessing over how I want Nickelodeon to change (even though I do)

Plus IMHO the series has been getting more and more babyish

I just need to accept that SpongeBob isn't for me anymore

As hard as it is to believe, I may have outgrown this show

You're not the only one who thinks that post sequel episodes are babyish

Yoh Manta

Moby Dollar
Saitama OK.jpg

I mean, I'm admittedly not into Spongebob like I used to be either, it's just...okay, cool.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
To each his (or her) own. It's okay to move on to other things, so don't feel pressured to stay a fan of something after you've outgrown it. Life's a succession of phases, anyway. ;) Truth be told, I wouldn't have been able to come back to SpongeBob, SBM, and other relics of my childhood if I hadn't left them behind for a number of years myself.

For my part, though I have my favorites and not-so-favorites of SpongeBob, I don't think I'll ever be too old for it. Heck, I still enjoy watching the occasional episode of Kipper or Blue's Clues. I very much believe what C. S. Lewis wrote more than a half-century ago:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

:)

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
The new episodes are more “babyish?” I do not think so. The show is more creative than ever. If you’ve outgrown it thats fine tho. I felt the same way about mlp when i left the fandom a few years ago. I tried to get back into it earlier this year but nope.

Sad to see another person leave this fourm. Seems like there is like nobody left from when i joined in 2016.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
Not having cable has actually been a good thing considering I don't believe Nickelodeon will ever be the almighty great channel of programming it once was when I was growing up. I'll see an episode of Loud House and SpongeBob every now and then just to catch up on what I've missed or see how Nick is doing. To each their own on how they give up, but I don't believe giving up entirely on SpongeBob is the way to go. Giving up on Nickelodeon, on the other hand, I understand.

PS: I do applaud Nickelodeon for doing Double Dare, All That, AYAOTD, and other reboots recently. The complaints about programming from the 90s being more awesome than anything in the last 15 years has been overwhelming and I'm glad they took initiative by listening and rebooting like other networks have. However, better original programming is still a need and it doesn't look like Nick knows how to do that.

Sealand

Imitation Krab
Congratulations, since more older people are moving away from SpongeBob, it doesn't have to be criticized by so many adults, that ruin the show for younger audiences. I might leave the show very soon, as I also agree the show is getting kiddish, at the same time I wouldn't mind watching episodes I grew up with. Well, good luck on the adult side.

Chris

Floridian
I have given up on television but not on this show.

I didn't think about not watching television much. I just did it.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
It's OK. It's good to move on. It's what life is supposed to be.

Well, I'm 18 now. I feel like giving up on SpongeBob, but I still want to watch the newer episodes and not the rerunning of cruel and vile episodes. This year, I'm already prepared to watch the SB Birthday Blowout this July 12 and the SB 2nd sequel It's a Wonderful Sponge. Hope this year gets better than 2009.

Back