If you had to lose one of your 5 senses, which one & why?

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
don't be a smartass by saying 'nothing' -_-

I'd honestly go with taste. I feel hearing, sight and touch are most crucial to actually living, and smell is a big influence on how food can taste. And smell would be a good use for determining whether or not food has gone bad.

Smell cuz i need seeing, hearing and touching the most and i love love tasting good food. I really don't think i'll need smelling. Yes smelling good stuff is great but compared to tasting, it felts inferior, so yeah. Plus i wouldn't have to smell awful stuff anymore :3

OWM

XD
I'd give up taste, considering all those foods that smell wonderful but taste horrible.

SarahGiraffe

Giant Clam
FYI, smell accounts for a large percentage of being able to taste, so you wouldn't be able to taste "better" if you lost your sense of smell; just the opposite, in fact.

As for me, I'd go with hearing, because I think it wouldn't affect me too terribly in everyday life, and I may lose my hearing due to my Osteogenesis Imperfecta someday anyway. Not that I want to, and it may not happen, but it is a possibility.

Tuba95

Dead Inspector
SarahGiraffe said:
FYI, smell accounts for a large percentage of being able to taste, so you wouldn't be able to taste "better" if you lost your sense of smell; just the opposite, in fact.

As for me, I'd go with hearing, because I think it wouldn't affect me too terribly in everyday life, and I may lose my hearing due to my Osteogenesis Imperfecta someday anyway. Not that I want to, and it may not happen, but it is a possibility.
Didn't mean that. I know that smell has a big influence on how taste works, it's just that I view smelling as more of an indicator if food is still edible or not, and allows for tolerance of nutrition I'm not big on. (since some stuff has decent smell but love-it-or-hate-it-taste.)

SarahGiraffe

Giant Clam
Tuba95 said:
Didn't mean that. I know that smell has a big influence on how taste works, it's just that I view smelling as more of an indicator if food is still edible or not, and allows for tolerance of nutrition I'm not big on. (since some stuff has decent smell but love-it-or-hate-it-taste.)
I didn't mean you. I meant some of the other guys posting that if they got rid of smell, it would enhance their sense of taste, which isn't true, lol.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I would say smell only because I've smelled just about everything I want to and know what to eat and what not to eat.

cwn

Porous Freak
Feeling (not being able to feel pain is the ultimate deal-breaker for me, even worse than being blind or deaf) > Seeing > Hearing > Tasting > Smelling
So yeah, smelling's least important to me.

PinkPearl

insert title here
Well you really couldn't live without touch; that would be weird. I'd really miss taste as well, and living without seeing and hearing would be tough to get used to. It's a decision I'd never want to make, but smell would ultimately be the one I got rid of, most likely. Or maybe hearing. I mean, I'd still be able to see things and get around easily, so I could survive.

Back