If the Show was Animated Entirely in North America....

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
Like shows like Star vs the Forces of Evil or Wander Over Yonder, how would you feel about it? Currently the show outsources its animation to Korea. Do you think the show could be more experimental with the animation if they got a studio like Mercury Filmworks to do the animation. Maybe it might even be more cost effective with how they use Toon Boom to animate.

tbh

Frozen Cephalopod
BeanoSponge said:
I would like ToonBoom to do an episode, I like their style.
Toon Boom is a program.

WhoWantsStancakes

They actually WOY and Star in Canada, as far as I know. But anyways, the animation would probably be of higher quality and would have less animation errors. For example, certain sequences in Gravity Falls are animated in the US, and they're a bit more fluid than normal animation in the show.

BrickSponge2015 said:
Didn't SOOW have some ToonBoom animation?
It's traditionally animated, and they scan in the animation and color/composite it in Toon Boom. They might do certain effects in Toon Boom that might be costly or too time consuming in traditional animation.

Supmandude

Squog
They wouldn't be able to meet the deadlines if they did it in-house. I think the only way they could do it in a timely manner would be if they gave it a Flash-y look and I wouldn't want that.

Supmandude

Squog
No, I love the classic cartoon look to the series. Flash is rarely, if never done right.

On a technical aspect, they'd probably use Toon Boom, not Flash, but they'd probably have to rely on using symbols instead of real hand drawn animation to get it done in time. That'd give it a Flash-y look that I wouldn't want.

DigitalDeathstraction

Shut up, bird.
Cha said:
No, I love the classic cartoon look to the series. Flash is rarely, if never done right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_7ou27JwxM
A whole episode of Rick and Morty is done on a 80,000 budget with Flash. Hand Drawn Flash. By Americans in/near Georgia and it has some of the best animation ever, not counting Superjail!

Supmandude

Squog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_7ou27JwxM
A whole episode of Rick and Morty is done on a 80,000 budget with Flash. Hand Drawn Flash. By Americans in/near Georgia and it has some of the best animation ever, not counting Superjail!
That's not Flash, it's ToonBoom. I saw a picture of an animation project on the creators' Twitter. But yes, it is hand drawn, not sure if the SpongeBob people would be given the same schedule as Rick and Morty. Nick probably wants a lot per year so, I think that's what would make it harder for SpongeBob to be able to do.

WhoWantsStancakes

They probably won't use Flash because Flash has a really confusing layout and it crashes constantly. Also, Toon Boom is a bit cheaper than Flash now with it being $15 a month for a subscription package. They'd either rely on puppets (which wouldn't be a bad thing, but it wouldn't look as good as frame by frame animation), or do it somewhat traditionally by frame-by-framing it (which would be basically the same as traditional animation, as well as cheaper to make). Due to time constraints, probably the former.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
I think it would be a lot better, actually.

Wander and Star both have really fluid animation. Spongebob does not. It's flat. If the budget went into adding more keyframes and movement rather than outsourcing it to a hand-drawn company, it would really look fantastic.

youraccent

Floating Shopping List
SpongeBob uses no software inbetweening (aside from a few VFX), unlike most Flash and Toon Boom shows. (aside from Rick & Morty) So I don't think they would do it in America because the cost to pay American animators to do all the inbetweening by hand is too high. Or something like that.

Back