❤️ I Love You, SpongeBob ❤️

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I Love You, SpongeBob

B561CF0E-89D4-4DF2-9B63-9DA97CB0D371.gif

SpongeBob, I love you like you wouldn’t believe. I’ll joke about my feelings for you, how I’m not just a fangirl, I’m your “fanmom”. My family and friends know much I’m obsessed with you and how much you mean to me. But some of them will never get it.

Sure, you’re just a cartoon character, just a television program, just one guy’s idea that became a household name. You’re just a stream of images put together to create the sense of motion. You’re not real.

But that’s okay. I don’t wish you to be real. I don’t love you that much. I like that you’re a cartoon and that I can watch you and imagine 🌈 you. SpongeBob, you’re existence inspires me to create many works. Fanart, fanfiction, and things like YouTube videos. You’re world gives my active mind so much to expand upon. Being obsessed means I get to take that obsession and do creative things with it.

SpongeBob, you allow me to connect with other people through you. Your quotes, your jokes, your references... So many people get them; it’s because you’re so iconic! Sometimes it boggles my mind. I’ll see people with SpongeBob merch or I’ll hear people reference SpongeBob, and I know they’re not as big of a fan of you as I am, but I feel the strong desire to go have super fan-fueled conversation with those people. But I don’t. Because I know I’m a weirdo, and they’re normal. They like you because, well, who doesn’t? (Besides annoying parents and “I’m-too-good-for-this-show” kids.) And I like you because I can’t stop liking you.

I could go on and on about your show, but let me talk about who you are as a character. SpongeBob, I see myself in you. You’re sweet, hyperactive, kind to strangers, silly, crazy, random, and you’ve done some hella relatable things. When you get emotional (in earlier seasons, when you weren’t such a crybaby), I feel for you. It hurts to see my baby cry. In “Dying for Pie”, you were so oblivious to the reason behind Squidward’s intentions, and your actions were so precious. “Knock, knock.” “Who’s there?” “I am.” 🥺 Stop being so adorable.

I look at you and I love your cute little style. Dress shoes with gym socks? A shirt and tie at a job that screams grease stains? Pants that slip on like a box yet fit like a glove? Yep, that’s you. I’ve cosplayed as you before, and I don’t know how you manage to put up with such an outfit all day long, but it’s a nice style you’ve got going on. I also love your facial features. There’s those big, blue eyes, those luscious, effeminate eyelashes, those cute buck teeth, rosy lips, silly nose, and those freckled cheeks I wish I could pinch.

Do I have a crush on you? Not really. I’ve had cartoon character crushes in the past, and this is different. When I look at you, I don’t see a potential partner, rather, I see a precious lil’ thing. And up until these past couple of years, you’d simply been one of my favorite shows/characters, not my “baby”. The feelings got stronger over time.

You see, I’ve always liked you, SpongeBob. I’ve liked you ever since I wasn’t supposed to watch you because you were a “dumdum show”. It took many years for my parents to finally say whatever and let me watch you freely, and during those years, I’d try to secretly watch you when the parents weren’t around. And thus, you’ve always been a part of my childhood, which is why I love you even more. I thought and still think you are so funny! That’s why I always wanted to watch you. Entertainment. You keep me entertained.

You temporarily keep my mind off of the darker things in this world. You allow me to indulge in my happy places. To me, it is such a blessing that God allowed you to be created. Sure, that sounds weird considering that many Christian families are against SpongeBob, but I’m a Christian and I cherish you with all my heart. 💝 I need to work on not idolizing you, but that’s a whole ‘nother discussion.

SpongeBob, sometimes I feel like such a weirdo when I step back and think about my obsession. I look at the SpongeBob pictures on my wall and the SpongeBob plushies in my bed and I wonder how I got to this point. I could (and will eventually) write so much more about my love for you, but I’ll end it here. It’s been a journey with you and I love you so much. You may not be my crush, and you’ll never be exclusively my baby, but you are my Valentine this year.

Happy Valentine’s Day, SpongeBob! ❤
1BCB1CA1-66F9-4423-BAFC-8124D5B474B4.jpeg

Back