How Was SBM Like Back In 2004-2009

ooooooofy said:
SpongeGar
XTShRZc.jpg

Jerry

404 - Jerry not Found
PhilipB said:
It's a bit blurry really. I remember MSN group chats and using the Flash chat to have great big chat parties. As for the threads, I remember there being a lot more tech threads and discussion of technology and software.
What did the flash chat look like?

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Philip, I believe that skin with the "name you cannot remember" was called SpongeBuddy Redux. I have to give credit to one of my high school friends, who went by Carterhawk or just Carter here on SBM, for taking a rudimentary modification of the default IPB skin that I had made, and turning it (literally overnight) into a really snazzy look that stayed with the site for years.

I haven't been a truly daily participant in the forums (or site upkeep) since I began college in 2007. I'm inclined to second Ssj's view. We generally had a core group of members who all pre-dated SBM in the online Spongebob community, and I am sure there were fewer threads with more direct responses. Social media, as it now is, was not really a thing back in 2004. My family did not have internet access in our home until I was 13. My brother and I grew up still knocking on our neighbors' doors to see if our friends could come out to play. I think that socialization, as much as anything else, colored our experiences and what we thought an online community should be. :)

Chris

Floridian
PhilipB said:
Here's another one from the same era, which just coincidentally happens to be a post by our friendly administrator abney317. I guess he liked the word 'moo' a lot at this point.

This is also an example of the classic skin whose name I cannot remember, which was ripped off by lots of other forums and websites (including me)

RA1SlYZ.jpg
Wow that photo brings memories of both Windows and Invision Power Board.

Windows XP was something else and when Invision Power Board looked like that.

Wow!

I remember April 1st 2005 REALLY well on here. That was 13+ years ago. I was in 8th Grade and I was staff at the time. I felt SBM had the best April Fools I've ever seen on a forum.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
Red Hat said:
Wow that photo brings memories of both Windows and Invision Power Board.

Windows XP was something else and when Invision Power Board looked like that.

Wow!

I remember April 1st 2005 REALLY well on here. That was 13+ years ago. I was in 8th Grade and I was staff at the time. I felt SBM had the best April Fools I've ever seen on a forum.
April 1st 2005 is still the best April Fools prank I've ever seen on a forum. It's amazing how well organised and thought through it was and it was talked about all over the Nick/SpongeBob community - it's how I first learned of SBM's existence (I joined the next day). There were still some great April Fools on here in the years after but I think the Aku prank is still the greatest.

PhilipB said:
Here's another one from the same era, which just coincidentally happens to be a post by our friendly administrator abney317. I guess he liked the word 'moo' a lot at this point.

This is also an example of the classic skin whose name I cannot remember, which was ripped off by lots of other forums and websites (including me)

RA1SlYZ.jpg
This image just has an aura of the 2000's. You know this is 2000's as soon as you even glance at it. It radiates of nostalgia! :blinky:

Back