How SpongeBob has Continuity

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
I think that SpongeBob has continuity, but episodes are out of order in the "timeline". So the episode where Larry doesn't know SpongeBob could just be his first time meeting him, and episodes that took place before that where Larry and SpongeBob knew each other just happened after in the timeline.

This could make sense. If I had the time, I would try to put them all in order.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
The Post-Prequel references strengthen the series' continuity, but constant contradicting character traits/attitudes (Compare say Patrick's personality in Ink Lemonade to that of his personality in Bulletin Board. Two completely different characters) completely destroy any chance of the series having a strong continuity. Yes, every episode takes place in the same universe, and the little jokes and references to past characters/episodes do build up a consistent universe for the characters to live in, but no, there is no solid continuity.

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Yeah, SpongeBob is literally built on the fact that it isn't anything to think too much into. The writers already have a hell of a time making new ideas and jokes for those ideas, trust me, continuity is the least of their worries, and piecing together their ignorance towards it will result in a headache.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Like everything in this show, continuty is depending on the writer. And storyboard artsits.
I don't think that this is a bad thing, tho. Because of lesser continuty, easier to ignore god-awful episodes. It's easier to pretend that they don't exist.

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
Like everything in this show, continuty is depending on the writer. And storyboard artsits.
I don't think that this is a bad thing, tho. Because of lesser continuty, easier to ignore god-awful episodes. It's easier to pretend that they don't exist.

On the topic of bad episodes, maybe One Course Meal drove Plankton to write plan Z seen in the SpongeBob movie. The movie is the official end of the series, so it would make sense that Krabs driving him to depression and no one else caring might have caused it.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
SonofMnemosyne said:
On the topic of bad episodes, maybe One Course Meal drove Plankton to write plan Z seen in the SpongeBob movie. The movie is the official end of the series, so it would make sense that Krabs driving him to depression and no one else caring might have caused it.
Ooh I like that theory. It does explain why Plan Z was so dark and demented compared to his other plans.

El Jacko

Call me Jaic
The same place where you are, probably behind you
I think SpongeBob does have some continuity .The episodes are not necessarily in order. For example, Hooky (Season 1 episode 20a) most likely takes place before Employee of the Month (Season 1 episode 12b) because Squidward doesn't know how to make Krabby Patties but in the latter he already knows how. I never understood why Spongebob had bones in some episodes when some episodes tell us he is an invertebrate, though.

SonofMnemosyne

Floating Shopping List
I think SpongeBob does have some continuity .The episodes are not necessarily in order. For example, Hooky (Season 1 episode 20a) most likely takes place before Employee of the Month (Season 1 episode 12b) because Squidward doesn't know how to make Krabby Patties but in the latter he already knows how. I never understood why Spongebob had bones in some episodes when some episodes tell us he is an invertebrate, though.

Some writers don't know sponge anatomy? The world may never know

Tidalpat

Imitation Krab
The Post-Prequel references strengthen the series' continuity, but constant contradicting character traits/attitudes (Compare say Patrick's personality in Ink Lemonade to that of his personality in Bulletin Board. Two completely different characters) completely destroy any chance of the series having a strong continuity. Yes, every episode takes place in the same universe, and the little jokes and references to past characters/episodes do build up a consistent universe for the characters to live in, but no, there is no solid continuity.
youre right. i did try my best to stop everybody always saying "spongebob has no continuity" when shooting down ideas, but this comment speaks the truth. spongebob has a very weak continuity.

Back