Nickelodeon How screwed is Nickelodeon if SpongeBob ends?

greatthing

Bomb-Selling Pirate
With the announcement of the death of Stephen Hillenburg, SpongeBob SquarePants might end or will get season 13. If the show ends, then how would it affect Nickelodeon?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
I’ll personally be mad if the show gets renewed for a thirteenth season, because it’d go against the NickToons’ initial promise of creator-driven animation. However, if Stephen wanted the show to go on for as long as possible, I’d really want to see some proof of that, which most likely doesn’t exist anymore due to his famously private life. It’s a complicated situation, but I was already adament that SpongeBob end with Season 12. Still no word on 13, just continued airing of 12, so maybe SpongeBob will also soon rest in peace.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
The better question is...what will take SpongeBob's place as the next big thing? Nickelodeon has turned down or stopped so many good shows that could've been great (Danny Phantom, for one) and kept going for a few more seasons. They rely so much on SpongeBob that it will be very intriguing on how they handle everything in the next 3 years. That's about how long I will give them before they need to have something else that's huge. I do not think The Loud House is one of those that comes close to FOP (classic not Poof episodes or later).

Chris

Floridian
ssj4gogita4 said:
The better question is...what will take SpongeBob's place as the next big thing? Nickelodeon has turned down or stopped so many good shows that could've been great (Danny Phantom, for one) and kept going for a few more seasons. They rely so much on SpongeBob that it will be very intriguing on how they handle everything in the next 3 years. That's about how long I will give them before they need to have something else that's huge. I do not think The Loud House is one of those that comes close to FOP (classic not Poof episodes or later).
I like the classic FOP episodes more than the later ones for sure.

YouDontKnowSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Season 8 was the last decent FOP season for me. The Poof seasons (before Season 9) felt the same as the early seasons in my views.

But for the main topic, I hope The Loud House doesn't replace SpongeBob as the main mascot. I really hate shows which have more girl characters than boys. Plus, even if the show did end, Nick will most likely keep reruns on the main channel as SpongeBob would be too popular to be taken off the main channel and those who don't have Nicktoons would have to watch the show online if they can't afford DVDs if it was taken off the main channel.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
YouDontKnowSponge said:
Season 8 was the last decent FOP season for me. The Poof seasons (before Season 9) felt the same as the early seasons in my views.

But for the main topic, I hope The Loud House doesn't replace SpongeBob as the main mascot. I really hate shows which have more girl characters than boys. Plus, even if the show did end, Nick will most likely keep reruns on the main channel as SpongeBob would be too popular to be taken off the main channel and those who don't have Nicktoons would have to watch the show online if they can't afford DVDs if it was taken off the main channel.
Just out of curiosity, why is this the case? Are there no funny shows with more girls than boys in it?

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
I hope Viacom creates a Nicktoons app for anyone who wants to watch both old and new Nicktoons on their cellphones, tablets or streaming devices. To sweeten the deal, they should include all 200+ episodes of SpongeBob on it.

EntertainmentFanatic

Part Computer or Something
What they both said.

SpongeBobfan1987 said:
I don't think it'll affect much, since the show has ran its course. I think it's time to pass the torch before the show gets too stale...

Nickelodeon won't be in trouble.

EmployeeAMillion said:
I’ll personally be mad if the show gets renewed for a thirteenth season, because it’d go against the NickToons’ initial promise of creator-driven animation. However, if Stephen wanted the show to go on for as long as possible, I’d really want to see some proof of that, which most likely doesn’t exist anymore due to his famously private life. It’s a complicated situation, but I was already adament that SpongeBob end with Season 12. Still no word on 13, just continued airing of 12, so maybe SpongeBob will also soon rest in peace.

Puppycat

Floating Shopping List
I'm not even sure how long Nickelodeon or traditional cable will be around. Ratings continue to sink to all-time lows. SpongeBob ending wouldn't be the nail in the coffin - they could run repeats till the end of the time. It's everything else going on that will cause their demise sometime in the next decade.

Back