How long would SpongeBob have lasted if the main character wasn't an optimist?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
This whole Coronavirus pandemic got me thinking:

Do bad events in the world actually add more fuel to SpongeBob SquarePants and keep the show popular?

And how different would things be if SpongeBob WASN'T optimistic?

Would people still love this show?

Basically, what I'm asking is:

Is part of the show's popularity due to bad events happening around the world?

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
The main dynamic that made the show interesting pre-movie was the relationship between spongebob, an optimist, and squidward, a depressed, boring introvert. Case in point, Band geeks, and SB-129. So I believe It would not have gotten far If spongebob was not an optimist.

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
That's an interesting thought. I do think that the inner dynamic of optimist in a world of craziness would garner popularity in just about any context, but I'm sure it's even more sought after in times like this. Watching a comfort show or watching someone who is relentless in their outlook on positivity is probably what a lot of people are doing right now.

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Kind of how the original 1978 Superman film (with Christopher Reeve) was such a smashing success. Sure, there were some breakthrough special effects, and the man of steel had never yet been put on the big screen; but culturally, having just come out of Vietnam and Watergate, the American public were hungry for the kind of "aww-shucks" optimism that Clark Kent & Superman provided. :)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
It's a little hard to tell. If SpongeBob wasn't an optimist, but the rest of the writing in the show remained the same (like Patrick being the same, or Squidward still being his pessimistic self), I don't think it would have gotten very far because there wouldn't be any interesting dynamics anymore. No goofy sponge loving his job at a fast food restaurant, no fun interactions with his neighbor who is his opposite, etc. Also, I do think that as a country, we do prefer optimistic protagonists, especially in our children's shows.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
It really does make a LOT of sense since I believe the number 1 biggest draw for people to SpongeBob SquarePants was the optimistic tone of the show!

But...is the show still like that?

Or has the tone changed?

It really does make a LOT of sense since I believe the number 1 biggest draw for people to SpongeBob SquarePants was the optimistic tone of the show!

But...is the show still like that?

Or has the tone changed?
SpongeBob used to be an optimist in a world of pessimists, but now he's an optimist in a world of optimists and it just doesn't work.

Back