How are SpongeBob, Squidward and Plankton able to afford their homes?

Cha

I love SBM
2wozlmb.jpg

Penny pinching jokes from Mr. Krabs or not, they only make like dollars a day at their frycook establishment. And Squidward is able to buy fancy and organic foods like imported cheese and etc. Both SpongeBob and Squidward seem always stocked with everything they need at home and have beautiful, if not expensive looking homes. How does this make sense? Well let's go back to the beginning for SpongeBob where he was looking for a home. Truth or Square to be exact. I believe that SpongeBob payed in front his entire wage for the home that he must have saved for quite a while. I mean just look at that money bag he had. Since the sale's lady didn't seem to enthusiastic when the finally reached the pineapple home for sale. And who would? It was just a pineapple that toppled off some fisherman's boat only moments later before SpongeBob and the lady arrived. Well that solves that. But what about Squidward? Even I'm kinda puzzled at this point about how he makes enough income.

Now let's talk about Plankton. He obviously doesn't make any money off his fast food. I think the clear answer is that Plankton made the Chum Bucket himself using his technology. Plankton usually doesn't eat meals besides his holographic meatloaf or many chum recipes (etc. Karen 2.0). So that solves the money for food issue. How's Plankton able to buy all the stuff he needs to make his invention though? Maybe a couple times a month he has a yard sale on his old inventions? We've seen this before in Move It Or Loose It. (But then again Plankton kinda makes it obvious that he hasn't done this before.)

Maybe I'm over analyzing Plankton's part of this money puzzle. I'm mainly curious about SB and Squidward though.

11th

Moby Dollar
Well, SpongeBob and Squidward are both pretty intelligent. (Albeit, in different ways.) I don't doubt that they know how to save and keep track of what they spend so that they could last for at least a little while, even without a job. Remember: They're only living for themselves. (And occasionally Patrick, in SpongeBob's case. Gary is presumably easy to take care of.) That, or as I've considered in the past, the value of money in the show isn't always meant to match our world, be it exaggerated for a joke or not. They might only be getting payed a nickle or less an hour, but back in 1940 I believe the minimum wage was around 25¢ an hour, and with inflation that would be about five dollars now. That would still make 5¢ low, but not low enough that an extremely savings savvy person couldn't manage. I guess that would make most of Bikini Bottom pretty rich, though, which is kinda' silly. :b

As for Plankton, well, he isn't exactly young. During the time before the Krusty Krab existed he could have worked and saved money that he still has. Or (and I know this kinda' goes against his character, despite being evil) he could just steal it. (That goes for both money and/or the parts to make his inventions.) He isn't against using underhanded tactics to try to get what he wants.

And if everything I've just said is wrong, well, it's still possible that they somehow receive outside help. (Family, etc.)

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
SpongeBob's house is very low upkeep since it can easily regrow, complete with furniture, if it gets destroyed. His parents probably helped him out to begin with since he didn't get a job until after moving in.

Plankton is probably easiest to explain. He barely earns any money legitimately but it is very likely he steals or manipulates people into giving him the things he needs.

Squidward is a mystery. Outwardly, he lives quite a lavish lifestyle, but it's probably more show than real extravagance. Although he'd probably like to attend a lot of concerts and fancy restaurants, in reality he gets most of his culture fix watching public television with a juice box. That still doesn't explain how he affords so many art and music supplies, though.

Let's put it down to the good old standby of cartoon logic.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Squidward is a mystery. Outwardly, he lives quite a lavish lifestyle, but it's probably more show than real extravagance. Although he'd probably like to attend a lot of concerts and fancy restaurants, in reality he gets most of his culture fix watching public television with a juice box.

Let us remember in "Chocolate with Nuts" when he's upset because it's his "only" night to be fancy, implying he couldn't afford that lifestyle on a regular basis.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
I've always had this theory about Squidward; He used to live in a different city with drastic differences in terms of culture and society when compared to Bikini Bottom. Which might explain why his taste of cultural matters are different to other Bikini Bottomites. Back then, he used to sell paintings, statues and you know, the usual artist stuff. So he might be saving the money and when he arrived to Bikini Bottom (where most of the people around him aren't interested to his works, so he got stuck working as a cashier for a cheapskate for a living) he could have used the money to buy his extravagantly fancy appliances. Lastly, perhaps he still has clients from his old town and maybe some more from Bikini Bottom. A customer to his artistic works. This might explain why he refers himself as an 'artist' in many moments.

In SpongeBob's case. Well, he's the golden boy. Perhaps the customers leave tips for the guy. Big tips, as in 10 dollars-per-customer. Maybe Krabs gave him extra cash once in a while. Or maybe he's funded and economically supported by his parents. There are many possibilities.

In Plankton's case, I always wondered whether or not his creations are copyrighted.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
In Home Sweet Pineapple his pineapple grow back with a seed (technically it's his own house). And in Home Sweet Rubble he get his pineapple back with a new pineapple in a tin.

Big Meaty Claws

K I D S
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon

But seriously, I've probably said this maybe 3 times, but it's just a cartoon :P, and a majority of cartoons barely make any sense and are as crazy and slapstick-induced as possible, which makes cartoons fun, they are an escape from real life. :)

Good question though, but the only answer I can come up with is that SpongeBob isn't very logical.

DiabolicalGenius

Mad Scientist/ Evil Genius
Big Meaty Claws said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartoon

But seriously, I've probably said this maybe 3 times, but it's just a cartoon :P, and a majority of cartoons barely make any sense and are as crazy and slapstick-induced as possible, which makes cartoons fun, they are an escape from real life. :)

Good question though, but the only answer I can come up with is that SpongeBob isn't very logical.
Yeah, but it's fun to analyze! (And have something to think about- like just how do they surf underwater at Goo Lagoon?)

Ihavedahswag

Take it to the Top!
For Squidward, he could have had a job before with a non-cheapskate boss.
Spongebob could have saved some money from his parents.
Patrick just lives under a rock with stuff made of sand, so that sounds pretty cheap.

Cha

I love SBM
I just thought of something. Remember in Opposite Day how the sales lady said people buy houses unless they're filled with nematodes or troublesome neighbors? She said and I quote, "I can't tell you how many times I've seen a sell fall through because of bad neighbors". And then I thought of A New Fish in Town. Howard also said he didn't like annoying neighbors that bubble blowed or jellyfished. So maybe Squidward's house was easily sold to him because he lived next to Patrick? (Not SpongeBob because obviously he didn't live next to them yet). This could work, but I've always imagined Patrick to be a quiet and lazy home bond neighbor until SB moved next to them. This would make sense because Squidward didn't even remember Patrick's name in Jellyfishing. Plus Squidward seemed content gardening, going to work and etc before SpongeBob came as seen in Truth or Square. So maybe the house was sold for a low price because of neighbors? Uh, probably not but it's still a theory up there.

Another one could be that since most Easter head islands are located in Squidsville, Squidward got his home at a cheaper price. Real astate is all about location if Karate Island taught me anything. Maybe it's a knock off that's more cheaper because of that?

The Drifter

Some person.
Maybe they lives in a communist state that still allows some degree of free market. And their house is subsidized by the government.

BrickSponge2015

See You Ocean Man...
How does Sandy make money? From TreeDome enterprises.
How does Pearl make money? She steals it from her dad.
How does Gary make money? HE'S BARELY ESCAPED FROM ANOTHER UNDERWATER CITY WITH STOLEN DIAMONDS!
HOW DOES MR. KRABS MAKE MONEY? OPEN YOUR EYES!
AND WHERE DOES THAT MONEY COME FROM? THE SKY!

Rant over.

Back