Honest Slug's Season 6 episodes worst to best

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Hello guys, this will be my first list on fan favorites and I hope that I do a good job. In my honest opinion if season 6 isn't my least favorite season then it is at least near the bottom, it has a lot of episodes I dislike. That said I still want to talk about it as I have quite a few thoughts on it anyways let's begin!

vxdbf8.png

Writers: Luke Brookshier, Nate Cash, Steven Banks & Paul Tibbitt
Storyboard Directors: Luke Brookshier & Nate Cash
Animation Directors: Alan Smart, Tom Yasumi & Andrew Overtoom
Supervising Director: Paul Tibbitt
Creative Director: Vincent Waller
SBM Rating: 5.5/10
Rank in SAS6E: #29

If you are not aware this is my least favorite episode of SpongeBob, however some people like it. So I will try to be open-minded, I'll point out anything good if I find it. This episode actually has a nice intro with some cool stop-motion animation and a decent rendition of the theme song. However it all goes down hill with the Patchy segments. These segments are appallingly atrocious. Not only do they look like they were shot from a DSI, the camera work is sloppy at best and nothing is funny! These segments completely forget the Patchy and Potty dynamic that makes his parts funny. Instead of giving funny sarcastic remarks the guard just says "okay." it's not funny . There is nothing to balance it out. At least when he gets into the office the camera stays still and they actually were able to afford lighting.

The animated segments begin. To be fair they are eons better than the Patchy segments but I still think they're bad. Apparently it is the 117th anniversary of the Krusty Krab. (correct me if I'm wrong) While I prefer the Friend or Foe continuity SpongeBob is a non-continuity series so I don't mind it that much. SpongeBob has a flashback of the first time he went to the Krusty Krab. This is one of the better flashbacks but it is still awkward and pointless. It would've been a lot cooler if they actually played it differently. After that we get my favorite part of the episode comes up, the song, yes it's glorified filler but it's the only segment I get enjoyment out of. Honestly I think it's a great song that sets up the episode for something special. In fact I watched it over and over again. Maybe because it's a really good song or maybe because another Patchy bit is coming up.

Ugh. Now we are back to Patchy. I think PieGuy said enough about the Rolodex clip, it's one of the laziest effects my eyes have witnessed. The next 10 or so minutes are pain. It's a bunch of shameless celebrity cameos. It's similar to the Modern Simpsons effect except far-far worse. If you don't know what I'm talking about many times in modern Simpsons episodes they throw in celebrities and they are pretty much there to say "hey I'm here." Not only are the talks over the phone boring and dragged on WAAAAYYY too long but there is no good execution. If you don't know who they are (which many of them I don't know, god knows what younger kids will think) you can't get any laughs out of. Even the ones I do know are given no materiel. It is pretty much just them talking, no jokes with pay-offs, just the "I'm here!" effect.

The joke with SpongeBob jumping on the customers is stupid. Why would he do that? Doesn't the Krusty Krab have a back door? Wouldn't it be faster to run? Some might find it funny but I don't it feels forced. The moment SpongeBob goes inside the Krusty Krab Mr. Krabs warns him and Squidward that Plankton might attack and that there are tunnels under the Krusty Krab. I'll get to that later. He also hires Patrick there is a dumb joke about Patrick beating up Squidward. I don't mind the joke because of the Squid abuse. I mind the joke because of how dull and generic it is. There is also a flashback of Squidward napping on the job. I dislike this. Why couldn't they use clips from previous episodes? I know people dislike clip-shows and I do too but it's not like the scene is interesting as it is. It would've actually felt like a celebration of SpongeBob to have clips from previous episodes. Considering there are 50 minutes if they had most of it be dedicated to the story and have only 4 or 5 series of clips then it could've been a good clip-show that has a long journey while still paying homage to the original episodes with clips. To be fair the joke about Mr. Krabs saying look everywhere and then SpongeBob having a bunch of eyes on him was a mildly amusing visual gag. Next we go to Plankton remembering how many times Mr. Krabs has thrown him out of the Krusty Krab. I don't have much more to add but did every clip need to be the same joke. This episode gives All That Glitters stiff competition in the overly-long gag department. Plankton's awesome plan for the TV movie special is... nothing. He just walks into the Krusty Krab. Lame. If all of his other much more dangerous plans didn't work before how does simply walking into the Krusty Krab on a day which there would likely be more security fare any better? SpongeBob starts decorating the Krusty Krab but when he tries to get the ice sculpture the cast get stuck in the freezer. That's an okay sequence honestly but nothing redeeming.

You know what since I hate the Patchy segments so much I'm going to just get them out of the way here. Patchy kidnaps Robin Williams in a fairly creepy way (R.I.P Robin Williams) and we get extended, long, pointless, garbage scenes with Robin Williams and Tom Kenny walking through poorly lit and shot hallways while trying to talk. To be fair the actors are trying but considering I doubt there was a script for these they probably just told Tom Kenny to say pirate things and for Robin Williams to react in weird ways. But Finally the worst of the Patchy segments is over. There are also a couple more things I should address about these segments. For one I know the charm of Patchy segments are cheep but it is done horribly wrong here! The older segments actually made jokes about it. Like how Patchy cut the strings off from Potty, how Patchy rode on the dinosaur and needed assistance from the production crew to get up, or even how Patchy threatened the audience and the video briefly was put on hold. They made jokes about it! Bad lighting is not a joke! It lacks the self-awareness that makes them funny. It feels like they said "Eh, Patchy segments are supposed to be cheep, let's just not put effort in." That's likely not what they said but probably what they were thinking.

Once the special begins, yeah the plot was he was making a TV special, I was honestly close to forgetting that considering how dry and awful these segments are. He has a couple of celebrity guests but things go awry when he finds out SpongeBob isn't coming to the special, so he sets out to find him. Two problems I had with the special have popped up in my mind again. Why are they trying to make this sort of an epic adventure! Patchy segments should just be mostly secluded. Even when Patchy looked for the lost episode it was only briefly. We never see them in the house and when he starts swimming out in bad CGI water the charm of the segments vanishes. Well these segments had no charm to begin with. Another problem is the negative tone. This is a minor issue and if it weren't for the fact that everything else is dreadful I'd probably forget this but it just lacks energy. Every celebrity pretty much looks grouchy and are saying this is the worst thing in their careers. It's minor but it's not a good tone to have for an anniversary. Credit where it's do We Got Scurvy is an alright song.

Once Patchy gets swallowed by the whale we get a montage of clips about SpongeBob's early history. To be fair the one about Squidward is kind of funny and charming but it gets old when they do it for the other characters. They also try to do a parody of old cartoons by just adding silly eyes and mouths on everything! Come on. This is very lame parody that fails to understand the special qualities of older cartoons by going with a poor, generic stereotype. The whale eventfully shoots Patchy out and he dreams of seeing SpongeBob. There is nothing clever done with an admittedly clever set-up. Patchy wakes up and the celebrities tell him he did good, I guess, honestly I am forgetting what happens, what did happen is that I am done talking about the Patchy segments! :bandgeek: . Well there is one more thing. These segments go on for way too long. Even if they were good and funny with the material stretched out this much it loses its appeal, starts to look lazy, and gets on the nerves. Even the AtlantisSquarepantis segments got that. Sad thing is even these had potential. Some actual behind the scenes about SpongeBob and Patchy meeting SpongeBob could've been really cool but the execution was about as terrible as you could get.

Now it's back to SpongeBob. Boy my dislike of this episode is starting to wear on me. I already finished with the worst part. Now up to this point I'm still on board with the SpongeBob segments. Even if I haven't liked much the problems haven't been too severe and some potential can be had. Lots of time left. What twists and turns can happen. Spoiler alert, Pretty much nothing happens. Later in the vent scenes is around when I realized this special is going to suck. One thing that bugs me a lot about this scene is the fact they are in the vents. This means one of two things. One, the writers (which there are 4!) forgot that they mentioned tunnels earlier and confused the two or option two. That entire first scene was pointless. Pretty much everything in this special is pointless. I am convinced you could cut it down to around 7-11 minutes and it would have the same effect and be much more entertaining.

After that they split up and go looking around. At this point the special loses all focus on trying to be a story. As the characters look around they are reminded of previous events. This adds nothing to the story nor are entertaining. Literally made to just tease something. Plankton shows up out of nowhere, I actually forgot he was in this, and tries to get the secret formula, another spoiler, he doesn't get it. This scene was just dressed up filler that they could use in promotions. The wedding one is the most insulting of them all. Sandy and SpongeBob get married but it is just a play. The obvious thing to note is that this is pointless and not funny, what makes the scene even worse is the way SpongeBob says it, why would he say that in such a tone? Is he trying to be a troll? Either clumsy writing or SpongeBob being out-of character. The third worse is when Squidward lived without SpongeBob, this is stupid as Squidward has proven to like SpongeBob! Look at Graveyard Shift, Pizza Delivery, and Squidville! This special lacks any subtly or fan service. There are two more flashbacks. One of SpongeBob getting his pineapple, innocent but unnecessary. The next is of an old Krusty Krab ad. Different animation but still flash, and still adds nothing to the story. I would excuse these if they were funny and/or clever but they're not! I should also clarify that I don't hate these scenes because of the misleading trailers because at this point I know how scummy a lot of trailers are and it isn't their fault they turned out this way. I am purely criticizing them in a story context. There is also a strange scene where Mr. Krabs apparently has cameras in everyone's house. Isn't Mr. Krabs cheap? Is looking at naked bikini bottomites Mr. Krabs' secret pleasures that is worth spending money on? Uhh that's weird. To give them credit at least it wasn't a false revel. One nice thing is that the joke of Mr. Krabs losing his wallet is funny.

The special finally nears the end when the characters realize they screwed up the anniversary and escape by hammering there way out after they lose their way out due to Patrick's stupidity. Did I mention that the jokes are pretty much just their character traits with no originality? There was almost no conflict, and that's if you count Plankton trying to get the formula out of SpongeBob a conflict and the characters learned nothing. This could've been a cool special about the characters learning about each other and their faults and would use that to get out but nope. There is also the obvious complaint that they could have escaped at any time. SpongeBob sings "Oh Krusty Krab" and people come back, Plankton's plan is foiled, people enjoy the patties and the special ends.

Wheew, finally done. My review on my most hated episode is over. I hope you can understand my viewpoints and that I dissected this episode well. It is just a momentous disappointment that is the worst episode of the series, in my opinion, however if you like it all the power to you this is my opinion. If this was just the SpongeBob segments and wasn't some big anniversary special I would've given it Mediocre but for being such a pathetic anniversary special, the Patchy segments being some of the worst stuff on TV and the entire thing being bad, it stands as my least favorite episode and gets a

Terrible

#46 coming tomorrow, hope you enjoyed this and gives you a good first impression of my reviewing style.

Edit: I forgot to mention the episode was in HD. Honestly that was a nice touch.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Loopers said:
holy ::dolphin noise:: that's long
I know, I wanted to get all of my feeling of this episode off my chest before I became the next BabySmitty, I still feel like I missed something lol.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
I bet this special (that's not so special in the first place) made some people give up on the show.

Loopers

Sportz?
Alex Squarepants said:
I bet this special (that's not so special in the first place) made some people give up on the show.
yeah because the writers were lazy for this
and i'm not even trying to be rude, like this "special" felt so forced it wasn't even funny :/

MrTortellini00

lame funny
I stopped watching the show not long after watching that special, but it's not even this episode that made me quit (I actually liked it): Stuck in the Wringer did.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Thanks for the feedback guys!
1z18gt4.png

Writers: Aaron Springer & Richard Pursel
Storyboard Director: Aaron Springer
Animation Director: Andrew Overtoom
SBM Rating: 3.0/10
Rank in SAS6E: #42

I have to say choosing the spots for 44-46 was very difficult but after some thinking I feel that Boating Buddies the second-worst episode of season 6.Interesting enough numbers 44-46 all share a similar theme.

The main reason that I put this as my second-worst episode is that I pretty much like nothing about it. Even Truth or Square got a couple of laughs out of me. From the beginning SpongeBob seems off. He doesn't have to talk and I already see that SpongeBob is going to be different. Maybe it's the cheeks but everything from the way he moves and how he looks gives me immediate stalker vibes. That might be this episodes's biggest problem, SpongeBob feels so alien and unrelatable here. Anyways SpongeBob comes to Squidward because he was breathing (Did I mention SpongeBob was a creeper in this episode? To be fair that's probably one of the tamer things he does) and Squidward proceeds to run away and accidentally knocks over a sign so he has to take boating school again. This episode's second biggest problem besides SpongeBob's characterization is the humor. It sucks. It pretty much only exists so Squidward pain. The reasons that the old Squidward torture formula worked is that for one thing SpongeBob wasn't a martian and actually knew when he went to far or he wasn't inflicting any harm and it was Squidward doing it to himself the entire time, it wasn't ridiculously one-sided, in Jellyfishing SpongeBob and Patrick got stung a lot too and Squidward even got revenge. Squidward's reactions also feel more eerie than funny. When Squidward goes into the boating school he meets Mrs. Puff. This could've been actually very funny with Mrs. Puff and Squidward sharing their dislike for the yellow Sponge but here it seems like she's forgot how terrible SpongeBob is, yeah not only is this episode creepy but it is very annoying as well. Yeah! This episode is also dreadfully boring. Nearly every scene is dragged on for eternity so if you don't care for the Squidward torture I can guarantee this episode will have you day dreaming with its long-winded scenes. And then he have the scene, the part with SpongeBob, uh, how do I put it, "Admiring Squidward" Yeah it's bad. After that SpongeBob and Squidward have to drive together. Okay so much wrong with this. First this has never been done before, why are they doing it now, second what is the purpose of this? Third Mrs. Puff knows SpongeBob is a bad driver, why does she do this? She's going to get sued. Anyways the car goes flying around in ridiculous places like a less funny version of that scene in Mrs. Puff, You're Fired. Squidward gets bandaged up and in a painfully unfunny scene Squidward must admit he's SpongeBob's boating buddy but due to damages Squidward must take the test again. Why? I notice I've been saying that a lot but this episode lacks any coherence. It's just randomness in the name of annoying Squidward. Wow that review was also very long. I obviously dislike this episode a lot but the next 2 aren't much better.

Terrible

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
33ogrqs.png

SBM Rating: 2.2/10
Rank in SAS6E: #45

I used to not mind this episode that much but honestly this thing is hard to watch, I'm not even talking about the plethora of gross-out, I'm talking about the copious amounts of filler. SpongeBob finds a gross worm and once it gives birth SpongeBob tries to sell the worms. Yeah from the plot alone you can tell this is a gross-out episode. I like to refer to it as The Splinter's sister episode. To be fair it isn't as gross on a visual level but it's still nasty in its own atrocious way. The worm giving birth is disgusting, uncomfortable and does not belong on SpongeBob, the design of the worms and the vomit are pretty gross as well. Once SpongeBob tries to sell the worms we go into filler territory. Nothing happens. Yeah this is a glorious combination of Truth or Square and The Splinter. The "jokes" are just the worms vomiting and THE DOORBELL GAG!!! The doorbell gag may very well be the worst gag in SpongeBob it takes up an entire minute of the episode! Even Family Guy would shake its head at this. At least Family Guy is 22 minutes. From the worm giving birth to the doorbell gag we get the next contender for worst scene in the episode. Larry's appearance. -_- For one it is pretty stupid that Larry doesn't know SpongeBob but the worst part is Larry tries to eat the worms. I don't even know how to react to that, just WTF? SpongeBob saves the worms from the truck and he tries to sell them to Mr. Krabs and he doesn't take them 'cause they're gross. More pointless filler! Speaking of Mr. Krabs he seems to be drawn very weirdly in this episode, in fact the episode in its entirety feels very stark in terms of colors and not fun to look at. It's as if they were trying to make the most repulsive episode possible. The ending is really stupid. So a garbage man says they're valuable and everyone buys them. Okay, for one why is the Garbage Man the only one to know this, how is he a reliable source of information, why does everyone buy them happily now, they're still gross except now they cost money! I don't get this episode. While I don't think this is the worst episode of the series or even season 6 I can defiantly join the choir in saying it's one of the worst most boring episodes of the series. Pretty much 70% of it means nothing and with an episode with such little comedy as this that's a definite problem.

Terrible

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Alex Squarepants said:
This is not one of the worst in my opinion.
I used to think that but it's just an episode that bores me to tears with its plateau of filler and gross-out.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
eqz5lh.png

SBM Rating: 1.9/10
Rank in SAS6E: #44

Surprise! Choir Boys isn't in my bottom 3. What isn't a surprise is that I still hate this episode. I hinted that this episode was coming up next in Pet or Pests and I also hinted #44-46 all have one similarity, the people behind them. #44-46 were all written by Aaron Springer & Richard Pursel, heck Andrew Overtoom directed the animation for all three. Aaron Springer and Richard Pursel have all done great things on SpongeBob but these episodes aren't their shinning moment. This episode already begins on a bad note with a pretty creepy poop joke I don't want to think about. Squidward proceeds to go to SpongeBob and SpongeBob revels that Patrick is gone. Patrick may be a horrible person in some episodes but considering the events about the unfold he might be a necessary evil.

This entire episode is extremely annoying, SpongeBob keeps pestering Squidward over his obnoxious song, not only is the song horrible but the fact he needs to keep annoying Squidward about it is irritating. Not only does it annoy Squidward, it annoys me. Every attempt SpongeBob does is extremely out of character, he feels almost sociopathic here and now we are onto "the scene" aka one of the worst moments in SpongeBob history. SpongeBob intentionally digs a hole which launches Squidward into jellyfish fields where he is getting stung by jellyfish and SpongeBob reads some of the worst words written on a SpongeBob script "What a lucky break, now I have a captive audience." Do I need to explain how this is wrong, it completely annihilates SpongeBob's character and makes him downright evil. Also how come none of the jellyfish ever consider stinging SpongeBob. I swear in many of these episodes SpongeBob acts like a border-line Mary Sue.

After Squidward gets stung a million times and has a gross pulsating pimples he makes it to choir practice in which he clears his throat, a lot. The reason I wasn't sure the doorbell gag wasn't the worst gag in SpongeBob was because of this. It goes on for almost as long and happens multiple times in the episode. Great creativity there. Surprise Squidward does bad and SpongeBob ends up up-staging him in an odd bizarre scene where SpongeBob acts like an angel from the heavens. Yeah no. SpongeBob gets the part and Squidward helps flip the pages.

Despite being a very bad episode it isn't in my bottom 3, in fact if it weren't for the "lucky break" scene and the terribly annoying humor it might have been in the low 30s or high 40s. Yes SpongeBob is pretty sinister but he is still not as alien and annoying as he was in Boating Buddies in my opinion. I also like some of the detailed drawings, they almost got a chuckle out of me. Squidward didn't do well in Choir practice so he probably wouldn't have gotten in anyways. It is a lot more brisked pace than 45-47 as well with exception of the throat clearing gag so the pain goes by faster, at least to me. It is an awful episode still and I definitely agree it is

Terrible

Probably last update to the list for today, I wanted to get the worst out of the way.

Back