High School Advice Wanted

KarateSponge

Parawhore
Today was my first day of high school, ever. I'd like some advice for my next 4 years here.

By the way, I'd like to say that my school is the 3rd best U.S. high school according to U.S. News. Which probably means I'm getting the best education I can get right now. :3rd: :)

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
Cooperate, do what needs to be done, and if you can get base level things done with ease, then expand yourself into more things outside of the classroom, or if not, perfect your work in the classroom.

member 9373

don't develop such severe depression that you're hospitalized for half the year and thus have to repeat the grade. good times.

i guess technically i'm starting high school too?? or at least restarting it

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
Don't be lazy on the school work and try to save your GPA later :P Easier to start strong than to try to save yourself later on
Get as much work as you can done with at school so you can get on SBM when at home :squidtroll:

ooooooofy

hello! :)
I just got out of high school and here are some of the things that I struggled with!

•Don't sign up for classes that are too advanced for you! If you feel like a class is too much than don't hesitate to switch to a lower level class regardless of what your parents say! I had to take English over the summer after I failed it in 9th grade and almost got held back!
•Don't waste time! A lot of times in high school I had lots free time and work to be doing but instead of doing the work I just goofed around and played games on my phone or my DS which is okay to do if you are really stressed but don't make it a habit! Read that book for English! Utilize study halls! Go to the library! They are there for a reason!
•Study! Now I did not do this until my senior year but if you are really nervous or not ready for a test then make sure you know the material by going back and just looking at the stuff and writing it down! Flash cards are very helpful!
•Pay attention in class! Sometimes when the teacher is talking you are tired or get distracted but please try to focus! The classes that I did the worst in were the classes where I did not pay attention to the teacher or the notes!
•Start thinking about your future! Now I know this is scary but I put off thinking about college until my senior year when I had to apply and I hadn't even thought about what I wanted to major in and I was just so unprepared and it really hit me hard! I am not telling you to start making your life decisions now but just think about what you might want to do later on and try to find something you are really passionate about and make that your goal! Not only does that help you get set for college but it also gives you a good motivator to work hard! I had no motivation in high school because I didn't really have anything to work towards!
•Take some time for yourself! I know this is kinda going against my second point but high school can be very overwhelming and stressful if you spend all your time doing work and thinking about school! Now I am not saying not to do your schoolwork but just know it is okay to take breaks once in a while to calm yourself down and help you focus! Don't take too much time out of your work though!
•Write things down! Assignments, due dates, test days, birthdays, club meetings, spirit days, dentist appointments, everything! It is hard trying to remember everything you have to do for all of your classes! I kept a planner every year except towards the middle of the year I always kinda stopped using it which was very bad because it was hard to remember all the homework I had every night for eight classes! It also helps to know when tests are so you can prepare and study! Writing down everything will help you plan better, remember more, and lower stress levels! Remember to use it throughout the entire year! Don't get lazy!
•Take notes in a way that you can understand them! If your teacher makes you use a weird format or if you just don't have time to get them how you want then just rewrite them later! Use highlighters, sticky notes, dividers, whatever you need! If you gotta underline stuff then underline it! I like to underline the big titles and main ideas and words for definitions! Highlighting also helps to emphasize important stuff! I also like to space stuff out to keep it more organized! You can do whatever you want though!

That's it for now! Good luck matey! :salute: I believe in you! You will rule high school :squilliam2:

a_load_of_barnacles

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I just got out of high school and here are some of the things that I struggled with!

•Don't sign up for classes that are too advanced for you! If you feel like a class is too much than don't hesitate to switch to a lower level class regardless of what your parents say! I had to take English over the summer after I failed it in 9th grade and almost got held back!
•Don't waste time! A lot of times in high school I had lots free time and work to be doing but instead of doing the work I just goofed around and played games on my phone or my DS which is okay to do if you are really stressed but don't make it a habit! Read that book for English! Utilize study halls! Go to the library! They are there for a reason!
•Study! Now I did not do this until my senior year but if you are really nervous or not ready for a test then make sure you know the material by going back and just looking at the stuff and writing it down! Flash cards are very helpful!
•Pay attention in class! Sometimes when the teacher is talking you are tired or get distracted but please try to focus! The classes that I did the worst in were the classes where I did not pay attention to the teacher or the notes!
•Start thinking about your future! Now I know this is scary but I put off thinking about college until my senior year when I had to apply and I hadn't even thought about what I wanted to major in and I was just so unprepared and it really hit me hard! I am not telling you to start making your life decisions now but just think about what you might want to do later on and try to find something you are really passionate about and make that your goal! Not only does that help you get set for college but it also gives you a good motivator to work hard! I had no motivation in high school because I didn't really have anything to work towards!
•Take some time for yourself! I know this is kinda going against my second point but high school can be very overwhelming and stressful if you spend all your time doing work and thinking about school! Now I am not saying not to do your schoolwork but just know it is okay to take breaks once in a while to calm yourself down and help you focus! Don't take too much time out of your work though!
•Write things down! Assignments, due dates, test days, birthdays, club meetings, spirit days, dentist appointments, everything! It is hard trying to remember everything you have to do for all of your classes! I kept a planner every year except towards the middle of the year I always kinda stopped using it which was very bad because it was hard to remember all the homework I had every night for eight classes! It also helps to know when tests are so you can prepare and study! Writing down everything will help you plan better, remember more, and lower stress levels! Remember to use it throughout the entire year! Don't get lazy!
•Take notes in a way that you can understand them! If your teacher makes you use a weird format or if you just don't have time to get them how you want then just rewrite them later! Use highlighters, sticky notes, dividers, whatever you need! If you gotta underline stuff then underline it! I like to underline the big titles and main ideas and words for definitions! Highlighting also helps to emphasize important stuff! I also like to space stuff out to keep it more organized! You can do whatever you want though!

That's it for now! Good luck matey! :salute: I believe in you! You will rule high school :squilliam2:

Great advice ooofy, your positivity on these forums really makes me smile!

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
ooooooofy said:

Amazing post, it legitimately sounds like you really really want him to succeed, all the while giving great advise in a bulleted list I'm sure took at least 20 minutes to think and type out. Because it doesn't have to be just him who sees it, literally anyone can stumble on this, and take the advise. Absolutely brilliant.

Back