Happy 30th Anniversary, Super Mario Bros. 3! (1988-2018)

SpongeBobfan1987

"I'm so spice!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxlok5cDtA

Hailed as one of the best video games in the Super Mario Bros. franchise, Super Mario Bros. 3 was released on this week back in 1988 in Japan for the Nintendo Family Computer!
This game established some of the standard features that are commonplace across all Mario games today, including new power-ups, map screens featuring worlds with different themes such as desert, sky and ice, and the Mario font used in the title screen that was first used in this game would carry over to other games such as Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario 64, and most recently Super Mario Odyssey. Super Mario Bros. 3 sold millions of copies which include the original Famicom and NES release as well as every remake that came after it including the SNES/SFC Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario Collection 16-bit remake and the Game Boy Advance Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 32-bit remake which included World-e levels, only accessible with an e-Reader and Super Mario Advance 4 e-Cards (the complete set is included on the Wii-U Virtual Console release of Super Mario Advance 4 for all regions). The success of Super Mario Bros. 3 led to such merchandise as McDonald's Happy Meal toys and a cartoon that aired on NBC's Early Bird Saturday morning block in 1991, The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
104.jpg

Ah yes, now that’s a classic.

In all seriousness, Super Mario World’s my favourite of the 2D Mario platformers, but 3 isn’t far behind. It’s much easier for me to pick up and play, and the improvements it made over the earlier games are phenomenal.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
This is definitely one of my favorite SMB games. I think 2 is vastly underrated but 3 did so many different things where some of the newer SMB games tried being just as great but, in my eyes, failed. Personally, I like the 1 v 1 games. I remember my brother and I would only play this game for this. It was so much fun.

Back