• Hey, Guest! Game Night has been moved to next Saturday, March 13 at 6pm CENTRAL!!

Happy 21 years of Spongebob!

no username.

wee woo
whoa, surprise!

Coming at ya all the way from... 2005? 2008? 2014?? Who knows anymore.

I thought I'd drop by and reminisce once more at SBM on the day that Spongebob first premiered, 21 years ago today. A LOT has happened since 2005, and especially so in this current period of time.
So I figured it would be fitting to tell all of you who are still around how I came about this place and what I've been up to since then. It's a long post, but I'm not making anyone read this if they dont want to :p

This all started for me when I was a lost middle school student that didn't really fit into most of the stuff I was around in my local area at the time. I had belonged to a few different forum websites at the time and posted pretty regularly about life with IRL friends and many other internet friends across the world. It was my beginning days of the internet and a time when people were still amazed about cameras on cell phones that took very low resolution pictures.
Growing up with Nickelodeon , Cartoon Network, and other channels during my childhood, I was very keen to watching cartoons and had a big interest in those shows then any of the other stuff. I did not realize it at the time, but it would set the scene for fandoms I would end up in over time, including this one. The small escape from life by being able to tune into after school cartoons and "One Saturday Morning on ABC" is absolutely nostalgic when I look back at it now.

Right before I began High School, Family Guy was becoming popular once again after its initial cancellation and I took a liking to the mix of adult humor and cartoons that I enjoyed watching. So I began buying DVDs of some of the shows, but very quickly after the initial box set, my parents (rightfully so) had advised this was not continuing and I had to get rid of my DVDs.

As time went on, I grew distant from some of the newer cartoon shows coming out and was a lot more fond of some of the older CN and Nick shows. I also missed the connection I had with a specific show but was not feeling inclined toward any direction just yet.
I had younger siblings while in high school that would insist on watching shows like Spongebob on the family TV, which was a show I knew existed, but I did not have any absolute interest in necessarily. But then over time as I ended up watching the show more and more with them, it started to become something I actually really enjoyed viewing. There was just enough innocent humor in a lot of the early episodes that it peaked my interest once again.

Then I saw the first three seasons at the time had DVD box sets...I jumped in head first.

This is the part where memory is a bit murky, but eventually, I found myself on this site, SBMania, at about 2005. I remember one of the first contests I participated in was a forum treasure hunt that spongey34 made where they edited their own forum posts. While I said at the time I "Used my resources" to win the hunt, I did a search on the forum search for the treasure hunt keywords :p

Afterward, I became friends with ssj and spongey34 pretty quickly. The community became a go-to place daily for me as it blended together a show I was really becoming a fan of along with the forum communities I was once active in beforehand. It felt like home for a good few years. Enough so that I volunteered my time to be a mod and created the first Flash-based quiz game on the site later on.

My parents (Mostly my stepdad at the time), while happy I wasn't trying to be a fan of adult themed cartoons anymore, were not exactly as thrilled that as I was nearing young adulthood that I was still a fan of what they viewed as a children's show. I didn't necessarily talk about it a whole lot in front of my IRL friends, but there was a day where my stepdad decided he wanted to embarrass me to prove a point. While I was hanging out with some good friends at the time, out of nowhere he exclaimed "Why don't you tell your friends how you have every DVD box set of a show for children and how you moderate on a website made for a children's show with minors."
These friends are still close contacts to this day. Checkmate.

However, while I never admitted it, that began a decline in my interest in the show. It was also the most vulnerable moment to me where it made me feel like I could not be honest about my likes or where I spent my time when around family or some of my friends from school. Immediately after turning 18, I joined DeviantArt (lol, me, the good child that did not join dA until I was actually old enough) and started trying to branch out my interests a bit more. I knew I liked cartoons, and there was plenty of that type of art on dA. And that was what led me to my next friend group from there.
After that point, college began, new life challenges emerged IRL, and I became more distant from the show I once watched every day. I unfortunately even got a bit of flack from the dorm roommate I had at the time about liking the show so much.

From there I became very active within the toon community overall, but still lurked a lot until about 2013 when I left home and started truly figuring out where I best belonged and what was most relevant to my interests.

The last time I stopped by SBM was once in 2011 and another time for an interview in 2014. Back in 2014 I was working under contract with Disney after graduating college finally, which shortly after that interview turned into the contract ending. I took up an offer from a friend at the time to visit Seattle, WA and fell in love with the area instantly. From there, he rest of the story over the past 6 years has been a wild ride of figuring myself out and where I feel the most comfortable.

Today, so much has changed. I...
- Am an active member of the furry fandom, attending conventions and having most of my friend groups now rooted within that community.
- Work as a graphic designer in downtown Seattle
- Have a hobby as a dubstep/ hard dance DJ/ producer with moderate success.
- Have since talked to my mom about how I felt back when I lived at home and we have began talking much more again. I never thought I would be sharing so much about my personal interests. She even surprise visited me at one of the conventions I've attended.
- Still take photography in my spare time
- Have been in a long lasting relationship with my absolute best friend, who also shares a lot of my interests
But even with all that I am still a decent fan of anything Spongebob

I guess the main reason I wanted to post this is because I always think back to this site as my own catalyst for where I was really starting to pivot towards in terms of my interests over time and my development as a person. Sure, some may have seen this as a silly forum based upon a cartoon series (which is surprisingly still very successful!), but this truly was where a lot of my adventures began. I've moved on from being much of a super fan of the show, but it still holds a special part of my personal development.

I was very happy to see the site is still here and thriving well into 2020. The new forum software is beautiful, the website layout is wonderfully polished. There is a decent amount of activity here still. I'm very glad to see this after all these years.

So thank you, admins, mods, and members of past and present, for helping me on my own road of self discovery, even just for a moment of collecting myself and interacting with a great community of members and super fans of an awesome show. I honestly don't know what I would have been doing otherwise if it was not for my time here. I hope you all have been staying happy and healthy through this time in our lives and continue to do so.

I will be interacting with this thread until about 10PM Pacific time. This will otherwise be my final post. I wish you all the best and appreciate you taking the time to read all of this. :3

- no username.

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
I don’t know who you are, but reading this is a journey in itself and it really got to me. I’m young, still in high school, and am a bit anxious about the road ahead of me, right now clinging to friends, family, and fandoms. And it goes without saying that SpongeBob has been on my mind a lot lately.

It baffles me how much impact SpongeBob SquarePants has had on so many people, people such as yourself. It’s so much more than a show, in my opinion. And because it is 21 years old now, it spans a couple of generations. I mean, just think: The show is still producing new episodes. For example, 10 year olds who watched it 20 years ago are now 30, 10 year olds who watched it 10 years ago are now 20, and 10 years watching now are going to grow up with this show, too.

Thank you so much for sharing some of your childhood/adulting experiences. You really make growing up sound so... wow. I don’t know how to describe it, really. Something about reading this post just makes me want to tear up. Time flies... Eventually, I’ll be looking back and reminiscing on my growth and development and... well, my affinity for SpongeBob. It’s scary how fast the years whip past us; I just pray we all make the most of them.

I bet Stephen Hillenburg didn’t even know the weight of how much impact his simple show had on generations. It’s iconic. Sure, it has its haters, but it most importantly has its lovers. Truly something special.

The more I talk about a TV-Y7 rated cartoon about a talking sea sponge with square pants, the more weirder everything gets. Can I really be talking about this show with so much emotion? I feel insane... I feel like I’m talking stupid, like this obsession of my is just weird. I have sometimes been made to feel ashamed of being a SpongeBob fangirl.

But I just can’t help but love this...

no username.

wee woo
I don’t know who you are, but reading this is a journey in itself and it really got to me. I’m young, still in high school, and am a bit anxious about the road ahead of me, right now clinging to friends, family, and fandoms. And it goes without saying that SpongeBob has been on my mind a lot lately.

It baffles me how much impact SpongeBob SquarePants has had on so many people, people such as yourself. It’s so much more than a show, in my opinion. And because it is 21 years old now, it spans a couple of generations. I mean, just think: The show is still producing new episodes. For example, 10 year olds who watched it 20 years ago are now 30, 10 year olds who watched it 10 years ago are now 20, and 10 years watching now are going to grow up with this show, too.

Thank you so much for sharing some of your childhood/adulting experiences. You really make growing up sound so... wow. I don’t know how to describe it, really. Something about reading this post just makes me want to tear up. Time flies... Eventually, I’ll be looking back and reminiscing on my growth and development and... well, my affinity for SpongeBob. It’s scary how fast the years whip past us; I just pray we all make the most of them.

I bet Stephen Hillenburg didn’t even know the weight of how much impact his simple show had on generations. It’s iconic. Sure, it has its haters, but it most importantly has its lovers. Truly something special.

The more I talk about a TV-Y7 rated cartoon about a talking sea sponge with square pants, the more weirder everything gets. Can I really be talking about this show with so much emotion? I feel insane... I feel like I’m talking stupid, like this obsession of my is just weird. I have sometimes been made to feel ashamed of being a SpongeBob fangirl.

But I just can’t help but love this...

I don't expect many newer members will know who I am :p

I think it is safe to say a lot of people right now are pretty anxious about the road ahead of them. As we adapt to a new normal this year, the biggest takeaway myself has been to not take moments with friends for granted and to give the people that value your presence the time they deserve. You never know when that fan of your work turns into your best friend over time.

It definitely seems like this show will be around for quite a long time to come. I'm happy with how successful it has been. I feel it has just the right formula of cartoon antics and real world experiences baked into it where it still appeals to a large array of audiences.

Thank you very much for the kind words though. I had doubts at first about writing so much out on here, but glad it at least made someone's day reading through it. This is just my own personal journey through the twists and turns of life and the best part is I'm only just getting started! Time might be a constant motion forward , but it's always more meaningful to take in the journey than the destination, as we won't always know where we are headed. Just that we are enjoying the ride while we can and crafting memories with friends and acquaintances to last for generations.

spongedude

The Librarian
Staff
I remember you! (Gosh, it's literally been a lifetime since the show started, and almost that long since SBM opened as well.) I'm very glad to hear that life has been treating you well, and that you've found your niche. Life goes on, people grow up and evolve, and I'm always happy to see old members disappear onto bigger and better things. Of course, we admins have done a lot of growing ourselves, settling into our own adult lives... but we do just enough work to keep the site running smoothly. At this point we'll probably be around for quite a while.

Take care of yourself! My best wishes for continued happiness in your life 🙂

SpongeBobfan1987

"The Joy and the Laughter"
I've watched the first three seasons religiously since I was 13, way back in 2001. Time flies, although I haven't paid attention to the little square dude as much as I used to, I still keep him in my thoughts and still cuddle with a SpongeBob pillow every night when I go to sleep...

Here's to the next 21 years!

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
First, holy crap!

Second, saving this from the dump.

hqdefault.jpg

What a nice time for a visit and sharing your thoughts! We have similar internal paths as I'm sure many here do, even if they're not the same age as us.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the west coast.

no username.

wee woo
I remember you! (Gosh, it's literally been a lifetime since the show started, and almost that long since SBM opened as well.) I'm very glad to hear that life has been treating you well, and that you've found your niche. Life goes on, people grow up and evolve, and I'm always happy to see old members disappear onto bigger and better things. Of course, we admins have done a lot of growing ourselves, settling into our own adult lives... but we do just enough work to keep the site running smoothly. At this point we'll probably be around for quite a while.

Take care of yourself! My best wishes for continued happiness in your life 🙂

Oh. My. Goodness.

HEWWO @no username. ! :D MISS YOU LOTS!

First, holy crap!

Second, saving this from the dump.

What a nice time for a visit and sharing your thoughts! We have similar internal paths as I'm sure many here do, even if they're not the same age as us.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the west coast.

aaa thank you all! Great to see you guys are still around the site after all this time. Missed hearing from you guys but hope things are going well for you all still. And yes the West Coast has been very lovely :p

TattleTale Strangler

Normality Impaired
Goodness gracious, it's you!

A lot has changed since those times, and I am glad to hear that you are doing well. Keep loving the things you love, and most importantly, be proud of who you are. We are all rooting for you and wish you the best. :)

*gives pie to no username.*