Get SpongeBob Off Facebook NOW

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
For a guy (sponge?) who lives in a pineapple under the sea, SpongeBob SquarePants gets around. He's coming to Blu-ray for the first time this year, he's swimming high on the Nielsen ratings list, and now he and the whole of Bikini Bottom are on Facebook. Which just goes to show even one of the most popular kids' shows on television doesn't get kids.

See, the launch of a new Facebook series of SpongeBob shows sounds like a good idea on the surface. There are 16 million "fans" of the show's Facebook page, and it's a site that connects marketers directly to 500 million active users worldwide. But someone has been spending a little too much time doing their thinking under the sea. It's time to come up for oxygen.

Because the rules of the social networking site specifically state, "You will not use Facebook if you are under 13." But this is a show aimed at kids somewhere around the age of 7 or 8. By airing episodes on the site a day before they show up on Nickelodeon, the creators of SpongeBob are expressly telling kids "come on, ignore the rules, we won't tell."

I'm sad to say I'm not terribly surprised by this. SpongeBob is one of those shows I won't let my daughter watch because it annoys the pants off of me. It ranks only thismuch higher than Max and Ruby on my list of characters whose voices are the cartoon version of nails on a chalkboard. SpongeBob is whiny. And crass. And can we talk about the fact that the dude (sponge?) has no neck yet somehow finds it necessary to wear a tie?

So you get it, I'm not a fan. But plenty of kids are (and if their parents are OK with their kids watching something that makes my ears bleed, so be it -- their loss and all that). Now you've got thousands of kids who just want their new episode of SpongeBob, all of whom are being told to break the rules and get on Facebook.

It's time to get the sponge back to Bikini Bottom. What do you think?
http://thestir.cafemom.com/big_kid/115573/get_spongebob_off_facebook_now

raisin

Moby Dollar
I think this lady needs to lighten up a bit. Just b/c she doesn't like the voices of the SB characters doesnt mean her child shouldnt watch it. Stop being such an old cow!

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I saw this yesterday and commented on it. Bonus points if you can guess which comment is mine. :D

Mothra

Billy Bighands
kyonfacepalm.jpg

I am an eighth grader, and throughout my average school day, I hear people talking about Spongebob constantly. Keep in mind that in only one of my classes am I with any [acronym='and therefore, anyone under 13']underclassmen[/acronym]. Which is my speech class, where the teacher likes to keep us quiet.

Mothra

Billy Bighands
And can we talk about the fact that the dude (sponge?) has no neck yet somehow finds it necessary to wear a tie?
If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
And other science facts
Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax"

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
And can we talk about the fact that the dude (sponge?) has no neck yet somehow finds it necessary to wear a tie?
And other science facts
Isn't his tie clip-on anyway? You don't need a neck for that! :P
And if she's gonna complain about something ridiculous like that, she might as well complain about the fact that his sleeves never actually appear to be on his shirt, yet when he takes off his pants, they're automatically connected to his shirt.... IT'S JUST A SHOW!!!!

Perry The Platypus

....What?
"For a guy (sponge?) who lives in a pineapple under the sea, SpongeBob SquarePants gets around"

that's what she said

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Isn't his tie clip-on anyway? You don't need a neck for that! :P
And if she's gonna complain about something ridiculous like that, she might as well complain about the fact that his sleeves never actually appear to be on his shirt, yet when he takes off his pants, they're automatically connected to his shirt.... IT'S JUST A SHOW!!!!

And how come he has shirt sleeves even when he's wearing swimming shorts? :D

bookgirl

Read a book
"For a guy (sponge?) who lives in a pineapple under the sea, SpongeBob SquarePants gets around"

that's what she said

Haha haha

The problem would go away if the kids just watch it on their parent' facebook with their parents watching them

raisin

Moby Dollar
UR a MSTie, kewl! :thumbsup:

And other science facts

bookworm

Vacant Tomb
This is this lady's opinion. Why should we care about it? Its not impacting people's lives. Also has considered that fact most of Spongebob's watchers are over 13?

Lazlo

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Oh baloney to that! :xP:

I'm not a guy for Facebook, but why would I give a dime on booting someone off the network just because of the way he acts?

SquidwardLover

My dogs want your cereal. :)
In my opinion, showing SpongeBob episodes early on Facebook is like an award to those brave enough (over 13) to admit to real-life people they are a fan. :3

Back