Pinned thread Free Computer Software (Windows/Mac) **UPDATED March 10, 2024**

videofindersTV

Imitation Krab
For browsers, I highly recommend uBlock Origin and OneTab. The former is an updated version made by the original creator, blocks more ads, and is more efficient. OneTab stores your tabs into, well, one tab, and you can restore them whenever you want. You can even import and export tab lists too.

Myles Sparklighter

Showing feelings of an almost human nature
I just got a new PC last month. The first thing I do whenever I'm setting up a new computer is install a whole load of software on it, and this time, I decided to get ready in advance while this one was coming in the mail. Used my spare laptop to download a bunch of stuff, put it all on a flash drive, and run through the entire bunch when it finally came time to set up. So, since I consider all of this to be must-have software, why not share it here too?

Get ready for a big list of stuff!

INTERNETING:
Waterfox Browser - My main browser, a privacy-focused fork of Firefox.
Discord - Needs no introduction, really.
Steam - DOOOOOOOOONG
Bitdefender Antivirus - A slightly less well-known, but brilliant free AV.
uBlock Origin - The most powerful adblocker on the web. Even Youtube hasn't been able to knock it out yet.

GENERAL PROGRAMS:
Winamp - An old, but great music player. (I still only use MP3s to this day - no thanks to Spotify)
VLC - The best video player.
LibreOffice - A great free alternative to Microsoft Office.
Notepad++ - Powerful, coding-oriented alternative to the standard Windows Notepad. I love it mainly for its multi-tabbing.
TeamViewer - For PC remote control. I use this when I need to control my computer away from home, using my phone.
7-Zip - File manager, unzipper, archiver. Great for working with .zip, .rar, and other compressed files.
Iriun - Lets you use your phone as a PC webcam.
Voicemeeter - An audio mixing console. I use it to volume boost and alter the sound of my mic.
OBS - The reigning king of screen recording software.
ImageGlass - Image viewer. Better than the one that comes with Windows.
Kdenlive - A fantasic video editor, basically a free alternative to Vegas 16.
Audacity - The classic audio editor.
Handbrake - A video encoder/transcoder. Very useful for compressing, cutting, cropping, or converting videos.
Defraggler - For all of your defragging needs!
qBittorrent - Arrgh!

QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS:
Open Shell - Replaces the awful newer start menus with one more similar to the menus from Windows 7 and before.
K-Lite Codec Pack - Makes it much easier to use a wide variety of video file formats in different programs, including Windows's default video players. Also comes with Media Player Classic (MPC-HC).
Visual C++ Redistributable Runtimes All-in-One - If you've ever been annoyed at having to install some version of VCRedist for a program, this bundle includes every single one in a single download, with one install program.
Windows 7 Task Manager - Replaces the default Windows 10/11 Task Manager with the one from Windows 7.

Last edited:

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Floating Shopping List
Krita - a free art program. I’m an amateur cartoonist (can’t show you what I’ve made without breaking my anonymity though) and can attest it is truly great. Very simple interface. Doesn’t take a lot of effort to learn. Has a good built-in selection of brushes, pencils, etc. too! I don’t use the PSD format, but apparently Krita supports it too. Works on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS.

Last edited:
Back