First trailer revealed!

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
TropicalNards112233 said:
The movie is the last thing in the series. BB Returns and Suds reference are in between Help Wanted and the first movie.

Of course this is all pretending that Spongebob has an actually continuity.
I'm getting an headache.

MissGreenie

Imitation Krab
The 2004 movie is still the END OF EVERYTHING according to Hillenburg. Everything else comes before it, no matter what it is, which makes a lot of sense now.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
MissGreenie said:
The 2004 movie is still the END OF EVERYTHING according to Hillenburg. Everything else comes before it, no matter what it is, which makes a lot of sense now.
When Hillenburg said that, it really was supposed to be the end. He thought the show was going to be done for good. (Unless I'm missing something)

I guess it could work... but I believe the show has no official continuity. I don't think the writers really care if things connect or if a timeline is there or not. Take away the movie, post-movie contradicts itself in many ways, to the pre-movie seasons. And even the pre-movie seasons have contradicted other episodes. If anything, each episode is set in their own universe... or maybe each season is set in their own universe, aside from a few things.

Like I said, I don't think the writers care about an continuity timeline.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
BubbleBud said:
When Hillenburg said that, it really was supposed to be the end. He thought the show was going to be done for good. (Unless I'm missing something)

I guess it could work... but I believe the show has no official continuity. I don't think the writers really care if things connect or if a timeline is there or not. Take away the movie, post-movie contradicts itself in many ways, to the pre-movie seasons. And even the pre-movie seasons have contradicted other episodes. If anything, each episode is set in their own universe... or maybe each season is set in their own universe, aside from a few things.

Like I said, I don't think the writers care about an continuity timeline.
I think it depends on the context of each of the stories they do though I don't think it excuses stuff like Larry the Lobster forgetting SpongeBob's name or something like that. The writers can basically change certain details and fool around with cartoon logic if it helps the story or gag make more sense. One of the former writers on the show said the show is supposed to have some kind of loose continuity.

BubbleBud

Giant Clam
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
One of the former writers on the show said the show is supposed to have some kind of loose continuity.
Based on fans perception, I believe that's what the quote meant. L

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Thinking about all this continuity with SpongeBob hurts my head :P I'd rather not think about it at all and just go with the flow. The show doesn't even have good continuity anyways.

I recommend just watching the movie as it is whether if it takes place before or after the movie. I honestly don't care :P

Supmandude

Squog
I just hope that Plankton doesn't successfully get the formula again in this movie because that's just too much of a contradiction even for SpongeBob to me. I know the show has always had loose continuity, but I think the continuity of the movies makes more of a difference than the standard 11 minute episodes. Maybe if he gets his memory erased or something it could work, but I dunno, that might feel like too obvious of a cop-out.

MissGreenie

Imitation Krab
I know that Hillenburg said it a long time ago when it actually was the end, but if you still apply it to today it helps explain a lot of things that don't make sense about the series! :)

Kerststol

Amyroos
I don't like the trailer.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the movie looks awesome. It looks superb. I'm not hopeful about this movie anymore. I'm confident. It looks stunning, funny, creative, it's just great. Banderas looks nice, the CGI looks nice, I can't see a hole in the movie yet.

But the trailer is really poorly made. Waaaay too much exposition.

From YouTube:

• WOW. They are desperately trying to keep this franchise alive. Just put it out of its misery, this look horrendous. 
  • Looks lame like all of the new SpongeBob episodes.

• Literally can't understand how people think this seems like a good movie and redeems Spongebob from all those terrible seasons. This trailer was as ::dolphin noise:: as the new Spongebob episodes. 
Not too surprised about this. :P

Kerststol

Amyroos
PatStar2000 said:
From YouTube:

• WOW. They are desperately trying to keep this franchise alive. Just put it out of its misery, this look horrendous. 

• Literally can't understand how people think this seems like a good movie and redeems Spongebob from all those terrible seasons. This trailer was as ::dolphin noise:: as the new Spongebob episodes. 
Most of the comments are positive, though. And I'm pretty sure the ones who are pumped for the movie are either the fans of the show, or people who aren't really into cartoons and haven't been paying attention to the show for the last couple of years, but still watch the show as a kid and see it as a part of a nostalgic childhood.

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
PatStar2000 said:
From YouTube:

I seriously hope that's not what the majority of people think. Some people are just really hard to please I guess no matter what they do.

Popeye Q. Krabs said:
I seriously hope that's not what the majority of people think. Some people are just really hard to please I guess no matter what they do.
One of my biggest concerns for the movie was how people would feel about the change. Lots of people online that I've seen are not fans of change, so I was a little nervous when we found out that SpongeBob & his friends would be overseas for parts of the movie.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
The relatively small number of negative comments I have seen mainly fall into several categories:
  • Korra fans who are bitter because Korra got a raw deal and SpongeBob is getting a movie.
  • Parents bragging about how their kids aren't allowed to watch SpongeBob because it's a bad influence.
  • People who don't want it to be CG.
  • People who just don't like it for whatever reason.
  • 4chan.
But the overall reaction has been very positive. "SpongeBob SquarePants" is still the top Facebook trend, and almost all of the tweets I've read reacting to the movie are people who think it's funny and/or cute. There's a good atmosphere right now; people are excited about this movie.

MissGreenie

Imitation Krab
I'm a huge Avatar and Korra fan and I'm not bitter about the change at all since it's still available online, so there's really no reason for people to be reacting so harshly.

As for the other people, I'm convinced that they're trying reeeeally hard just to find something to hate about this movie. Anything "new" is horrible to them.

Cha

I love SBM
My only problem with this (besides a possible lack of emotional build up that could happen, which I don't mind too much since this is an adventure/comedy) are the CGI models' texture. It looks too doughy, I know they're more cartoonish than anything but I would have like to had saw the porous holes of a real sponge or the bumps on a real starfish, Sandy with realer looking hair. But you know, in moderation. The poster for the movie somewhat did this though.

Edit: Looking at some close ups, I can see a lot more detail. So Never mind.

CowBob RanchPants said:
My only problem with this (besides a possible lack of emotional build up that could happen, which I don't mind too much since this is an adventure/comedy) are the CGI models' texture. It looks too doughy, I know they're more cartoonish than anything but I would have like to had saw the porous holes of a real sponge or the bumps on a real starfish, Sandy with realer looking hair. But you know, in moderation. The poster for the movie somewhat did this though.
CowBob RanchPants said:
eh..i don't mind that tho.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
PatStar2000 said:
From YouTube:

Well... It IS from YouTube, and YouTube is known to house many "internet tough guys" that would do anything to anger a certain fanbase and make themselves seem superior to everyone else.

I agree with DMAP that there's so many more positive comments than negative. That's what I really love now. Also, just focusing on the negatives even though the majority is positive can cause some stress. That's why all celebrities, YouTube stars, shows, etc. never really focus on negatives and just continue doing what they do to please the many fans.

As for the trailer... YES! THE HYPE!

Supmandude

Squog
Sherm Cohen said on Twitter that he's excited to see one of his drawings (for the first movie) re-imagined in CG for the new movie.

Bt-LrQ-CQAEnFI3.jpg

https://twitter.com/ShermCohen/status/495268060182241280

Personally, I am too. I'm really glad that the animation is actually focusing on matching what the artists drew their expressions to be and not just making them generic. (I know this part isn't actually going to be in the movie, but the animation in the film itself looks just as good from what we've seen so far.) :)

Back