Every Season 11 Episode Reviewed (Interactive)

hippythehippo

Banished
Uhhhh, sorry for the unintended absence. Laziness strikes again.

Episode 226a Doodle Dimension
Air-date: March 9, 2018
Plot: Spongebob and Patrick get trapped in a doodle dimension
Music: Arnold is back 1
Writer: Luke Brookishier

If Grandmum the Word is a display of the best of Season 11, with ambitous storytelling, the perfect balance of humor, visual and dialouge, and the best way to bring back a character long gone, than Doodle Dimension is the complete opposite. I tried to not let the hype cloud my opinions of this episode, yet everything done here is so lazily that this episode is a massive disappointment. Obviously I am not a fan of this episode, let's get into why that is.

The episode opens up with Spongebob and Patrick walking to Sandy's house. Sandy is working on some invention, and can not play with Spongebob and Patrick. Quick note here, this is such a lazy set up. Where is the artist at sea? Spongebob and Patrick fiddle with the controls, and accidently start the dimension. They get hypnotized, and go into the dimension, ignoring Sandy who says not to go into the dimension.

Spongebob and Patrick fall into a blank dimension. It seems endless, and the 2 can't do anything, until Spongebob realizes that marks make into drawings in this dimension. Another lazy plot point, Spongebob pulls out a big pencil, and he and Patrick start drawing. However, they soon feel sad and miss their friends, and Patrick randomly draws a doodlebob. Up to this point, the episode has been pretty terrible, I'd say around a 2/10, and this is halfway through. Thankfully it gets better around here, maybe it can bump this up to a meh.

Doodlebob quickly proves to be a threat to Spongebob and Patrick, kidnapping Patrick. Doodlebob draws a castle, and holds Patrick hostage. Spongebob gets there, and doodlebob catapaults Pat back to Spongebob. Doodlebob managed to draw a bunch of tiny doodlebobs, and they chase Sponge and Pat. Sponge and Pat use a balloon to escape, but when Doodlebob stands on the tiny doodlebobs, Spongebob hands the balloon to him, and doodlebobs float away. Spongebob draws a doodle sandy, who draws a dimension back to Bikini Bottom.

The first half of the episode is very tedious, things moved at a snails pace, and nothing is funny. The set up for how doodlebob comes into the episode is very lazily written. Sandy just randomly making a dimension machine sounds like a Season 8 contrivance, not something up to standard for the creativity shown throughout this Season. Doodlebob randomly appearing due to Patrick's stupidity also didn't amuse me a bit, though doodlebob himself is the only thing good about the episode. The fight itself wasn't that great, but at least the action scene is decent, and way better than how the episode starts.

I found nothing funny in the episode. The nut farmer guy joke seemed very like a stereotypical joke this show would do, not something that unexpected. After that, the episode wasn't trying hard at all to be funny. Patrick using his butt to push buttons was both a lazy joke, and a reminder that Patrick can be so obnoxious this Season. Nothing about the doodlebob stuff struck me as funny, and if there were any jokes there, they didn't make it obvious,

Spongebob and Patrick were pretty tedious in the beginning, but they improve when they reach the dimension. Even then, they aren't that interesting or entertaining in the episode, they kinda feel like things that doodlebob beats up. Doodlebob was fortunetly decent in here. He had some good moments here, and is easily the best part of the episode. Sandy is post movie/The Fishbowl boring scientist here, and it;s a shame, considering this is her biggest role in the Season so far.

There just is not much to say, the episode is just inferior to Frankendoodle. Every part of the episode is done better in the orginal, and this is proof that the crew should not pander to nostalgic fanboys. I doubt anyone was nostalgic for Plankton's grandma, and the episode is one of the most well recieved of the Season, so there is proof that you don't need well known characters to make good stories. As a whole, the episode is something very disappoiting, and it's a shame that this could have been one of the best of the Season.

Rating: Bad
Score: 4/10
Thoughts: (Not worth your time)
Place: #21/26

Season 11 as a whole
9/10
1. Teachers Pests
2. Squid Noir
8/10
3. There's a Sponge in My Soup
4. The Checkup
5. Grandmum's the Word
6. The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom
7. Larry the Floor Manager
8. Spot Returns
7/10
9. Sanitation Insanuty
10. Chatterbox Gary
11. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
12. Spin the Bottle
13. Man Ray Returns
14. Scavenger Pants
15. Cave Dwelling Sponge
6/10
16. Drive Happy
5/10
17. Old Man Patrick
18. Cuddle E Hugs
19. Don't Feed the Clowns
20. No Pictures Please
4/10
21. Doodle Dimension
22. Fun Sized Friends
23. The Clam Whisperer
24. Stuck on the Roof
3/10
25. Bunny Hunt
2/10
26. Pat the Horse

QOTD What is your favorite returns episode?

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
EmployeeAMillion said:
This, no doubt. The downer ending’s too much, but at least it’s in-line with the tone of Squilliam’s debut episode.
Yeah I feel like they set a rule, of win and failure. It's good to see the antagonists actually win, in an unexpected way. Even though I find SpongeBob forgetting his name to be dumb, the Appetizer would've still ruined it anyway, so it's not completely his fault.

Back