Every Season 11 Episode Reviewed (Interactive)

Coffee_lover

Banished
This episode is so unoriginal and disgusting in every way and I hate it,along with The Incredible Shrinking Spongebob this is the worst post-sequel episode so far

hippythehippo

Banished
RDSP said:
The Clam Whisperer was... far from perfect, to say the least. While I don't think it was TOO bad, it also wasn't great either.

Also, no QotD this time? Alright then.
My bad. Was rushing to write this yesterday as I had to go out soon. There will be a qotd for Spot Returns.

hippythehippo

Banished
Episode 217a Spot Returns
Air-date June 24 2017
Plot: Spot has babies, Plankton decides to use the puppies for one of his evil schemes.
Title Music: Whistling Around
Writer: Andrew Goodman

Season 11 has introduced a bunch of returns episodes this season. Some of them are obvious pandering (wait till I rip apart Doodle Dimension), while others have been a true surprise (I don't think any of us expected Plankton's grandma to EVER get an episode). This one is the first of these return episodes, and it has a lot to live up to. Plankton's Pet has been sited as one of the best season 9 episodes (I don't think it's that great. Still really good, and easily the best 9a episode by about a 100 miles, but I still think some of 9bs material was more quality). That brings us to this episode, and when I heard the synopsis, I was worried. Plankton's Pet was one of the best episodes of recent memory because it had little to do with the formula. Having Plankton using Spot's puppies for one of his schemes seemed counter productive to what Plankton's Pet established. Of course that can't mean the episode is good, but I did have quite the weary feeling about this episode.

The episode however starts on a good note. Plankton is looking for Spot. Spot responds to Plankton, and we see how overweight Spot is. Plankton gives a treat, much to Karen's disapproval. Plankton tries to prove Spot is okay, but a scanner reveals that Spot is pregnant. Spot gives birth, and Karen gets a cute overload because of the puppies. Plankton realizes that the puppies cause havoc, and he tries to sell them with an order of chum. Spongebob comes along, and decides to help Plankton.

It appears that Plankton is not a good salesman though, as he rages at customers at the supermarket. Spongebob morphs the ameobas into bigger puppies, and they quickly get sold out. The problem is that the puppies take one of the owners possesions, and bring it back to Plankton (which is genius). Plankton realizes that he can use he puppies for one of his evil schemes. He calls Spongebob to train the puppies, and after a fun montage, the puppies are ready. Plankton reveals to Spongebob that this was one of his evil schemes, and tells Spongebob his plan, while the puppies do the plan (which is also genius). Spongebob foils Plankton's plan, and Plankton gets his comeuppance.

The story flows well. It's fast paced, but it is logical. Plankton doesn't just see the puppies and go "lmao, ill use the pups for my plan dab on those haters", it's actually logical and well though out. Every sequence has a point, and pacing doesn't slip. This is better paced than every season 10 episode besides Feral Frireds, Mermaid Pants, and Mimic Madness, so you know they got the pacing down. Not enough Spot, but doesn't hurt the episode to much.

The comedy is also good. Plankton raging at the super market is hilarious. There's just something satisfying looking at Plankton shooting someone with a ray gun. They really went the extra mile by making Pat a dog. I didn't expect continuity between this and Plankton's Pet, but they did it. And it wasn't blatant (like Bubble Buddy Returns), but more like a wink wink nudge nudge. There is also little gags, like Karens cute overload, that just add layers to the humor.

The characters are all fine here. Nothing to write home about, but they are all good.

Overall, I am satisfied with this episode. It gives me a great story with good comedy, and everyone in character. I was initially worried that this would be a disappointment, like Bubble Buddy Returns, but I honestly have very little to nit pick here.

Pros
Solid story with good execution of the plot
Plankton is as fun as ever
Spongebob is also likeable
Comedy is very good
The scene at the super market is god tier
The puppies are cute
Brought back the Patrick is a pet gag

Cons
Not enough Spot (he probably has more screen time in Bottle Burglars tbh)

Rating: GOOD
Score: 8/10
Thoughts: (An enjoyable if not mildly flawed episode)
Place: #1/3

Season 11 as a whole
8/10
1. Spot Returns
7/10
2. Cave Dwelling Sponge
4/10
3. The Clam Whisperer

This time I will actually put a qotd (sorry was in a hurry last review). Until then, see ya guys later.

QOTD: What's your favorite season 9 episode?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
That’s a very good question. Even with my evaluation of it on the way, it’s hard to say if I love any episodes from it. There are ones I like, but love is a strong word, especially for ones I haven’t seen in 2 years.

hippythehippo

Banished
EmployeeAMillion said:
That’s a very good question. Even with my evaluation of it on the way, it’s hard to say if I love any episodes from it. There are ones I like, but love is a strong word, especially for ones I haven’t seen in 2 years.
I agree. The good in 9b isn't great. The season is semi consistent, but there are only 3 episodes that can go toe to toe with pre movie imo (Sewers, Bulletin Board, and The Whole Tooth).

RDSP

Banished
That rating for Spot Returns is about where I'd place it. It's pretty good and, while not perfect, set the tone of solid Season 11 episodes rather well. (I hope that wasn't worded too weirdly)

QotD: It depends on which half you're talking about; for Season 9a I'd have to go with Safe Deposit Krabs (for actually making Mr. Krabs's greed funny) and for 9b (along with the rest of the season) I'd have to say Tutor Sauce.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Oh, I actually enjoyed Doodle Dimension... As for episode, I think it's reallh good too, Nickeloodeon did something rjght for once, airing this episode first from season 11, making good first impression.

QotD: Either Sharks vs. Pods or Pineapple Invasion.

hippythehippo

Banished
RDSP said:
That rating for Spot Returns is about where I'd place it. It's pretty good and, while not perfect, set the tone of solid Season 11 episodes rather well. (I hope that wasn't worded too weirdly)

QotD: It depends on which half you're talking about; for Season 9a I'd have to go with Safe Deposit Krabs (for actually making Mr. Krabs's greed funny) and for 9b (along with the rest of the season) I'd have to say Tutor Sauce.
I was referring to Season 9 as a whole, sorry should have been more specific

Klu said:
Oh, I actually enjoyed Doodle Dimension... As for episode, I think it's reallh good too, Nickeloodeon did something rjght for once, airing this episode first from season 11, making good first impression.

QotD: Either Sharks vs. Pods or Pineapple Invasion.
I found that after a year of waiting, the episode was pretty underwhelming, even for post sequel standards. The hype was probably a main cause for the disappointment lol.

Random Guy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Personally, I like Doodle Dimension more than Frankendoodle. None of them is fantastic, though. I also like Spot Returns, The Check-Up, Drive Happy, Squid Noir, No Pictures Please, and my favorite S11 episode appears to be Teacher's Pests. Fun-Sized Friends is slightly terrible and There's a Sponge in my Soup is so obnoxious due to those hippies.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
I really like Doodle Dimension, it's a great episode, sorry. Though it's not as good as Frankendoodle.

hippythehippo

Banished
Wintermelon43 said:
I really like Doodle Dimension, it's a great episode, sorry. Though it's not as good as Frankendoodle.
I'm fine with people liking it, I just thought it was pretty lame for a sequel to one of the best of the series. To each their own though.

hippythehippo

Banished
Random Guy said:
Personally, I like Doodle Dimension more than Frankendoodle. None of them is fantastic, though. I also like Spot Returns, The Check-Up, Drive Happy, Squid Noir, No Pictures Please, and my favorite S11 episode appears to be Teacher's Pests. Fun-Sized Friends is slightly terrible and There's a Sponge in my Soup is so obnoxious due to those hippies.
Those are the only eps you like?

Klu

Moby Dollar
hippythehippo said:
I found that after a year of waiting, the episode was pretty underwhelming, even for post sequel standards. The hype was probably a main cause for the disappointment lol.
I just was thinking, that no matter how good post-sequel is, it's still won't be on the same level of greatness as originals.

Back