Every Season 11 Episode Reviewed (Interactive)

RDSP

Banished
After rewatching Cuddle E. Hugs a few times, I've come to like it. It's a very weird episode, yes, and while it's not perfect, it's a pretty good episode overall.

QotD: nah, I'm fine with this episode being unique for its own reasons

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Cuddle E Hugs just weirds me out and gives me a bad taste after I'm done watching it

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
hippythehippo said:
QOTD: Do you think Spongebob should ever have an episode where he gets high on acid.
I believe Squid's Day off is Squidward's version of this, and that was a good episode, so yeah let's do it

hippythehippo

Banished
Episode 223b Pat the Horse
Air-date: December 2, 2017
Plot: Patrick becomes a horse.
Music: Rodeo Daze
Writer: Kaz

While I do enjoy post-sequel a lot, I can't deny these Seasons have a few duds. Today we encounter one of them. And this is one I have a huge a lot of problems with. A lot of this episode is just irritating, and tests my patience in a way that the show hasn't in quite a while. While not completely awful, or unsavagable, I'm sorry but I didn't enjoy this one bit.

The episode opens up to Spongebob reading Patrick a bedtime story. Spongebob reads a book called "You Can Be Anything." Patrick finds something he likes.....which is being a horse. Spongebob tries to talk Patrick out of it, but Patrick insists on being a horse. Spongebob puts him to bed, and goes to bed himself. The next morning, he wakes up to Patrick imitating a horse by making horse sounds. Spongebob is delighted, and takes Pat to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs schemes to use Patrick for one of his plans to make money.

Patrick eventually snaps against Krabs, and Spongebob chases after Patrick. Squidward than becomes the horse, after some horse puns. Patrick escapes to the desert, and Spongebob looks for him. Patrick is at first apprehensive, but warms up to Spongebob, and the duo head back to the Krusty Krab. They encounter Krabs, who turns Squidward into a horse, and the 2 chastise Spongebob for Patrick being weak. Krabs and Spongebob challenge each other to a race, and Spongebob comes out victorious...until Patrick eats the patty, so Krabs wins. Pat says he wants to be a crab, and Sponge and Squid ride off into the sunset.

This story is so dull and lifeless. Most of the episode is nothing happening, which I criticized Mutiny on the Krusty for. While it's not quite as bad here, the episode is too slow. The opening bit is pretty unbearable, with Patrick acting obnoxious, and the rest of the episode is just him playing into his delusions. The episode moves so slow. Nothing happens for a majority of it, and it gets to the point of utmost stupidity when Spongebob is trying to tame Patrick in the desert. Than there is the fact that the episode is stupid. Lot's of episodes are stupid, heck this Season has Spin the Bottle and Sponge in My Soup, but this episode just rolls with it's dumb concept, driving everyone down to the point of unbearability.

Too be fair, I liked some of the gags here. The "I can work him like a horse line" is brilliant. Excellent wordplay here. Too bad it had to be in an episode that otherwise lacks much in the way of jokes. Maybe a few of Squid's horse lines were amusing, and the race scene has a few other amusing gags, such as Krabs imitating a police man, which is so absurd that you gotta love it. Beyond that, I didn't find much else funny. The episode is so dry in terms of humor. This is a problem, as at the climax, I am uninvested at the stupidity being thrown out at me.

Patrick is truly awful here. He is stupid, but not THIS delusional. He has no reason to be a horse, yet he becomes one anyway? I really hate how he is characterized here. While he doesn't behave like a monster, he's to dumb and brain dead for me to care about him. Krabs is demoted to his post movie equivalent. He is just money loving, does not car about life guy. I thought we got over this, but I guess he is not. I could even argue that he is worse here than in Out of the Picture. At least there, it's for comedy. Here, he just is a one note, boring, plot device to give us this "story." Squidward's quips are also pretty annoying.

I have not much positive to say. This honestly has a legitimate chance in my bottom 20-25 worst episodes of all time. Yeah, I dislike it that much. It's not the worst episode ever, but most of it is too stupid and irritating for me to enjoy. The characters are flanderized, Patrick is horrible, the conflict is dull and pointless, and beyond that, the episode is boring. While it's not at the depths of Boating Buddies, Choir Boys, A Pal for Gary, or Smoothe Jazz, I still struggle finding positives in this.

Rating: Scummy
Score: 2/10
Thoughts: (Doesn't represent what Spongebob stands for)
Place: #17/17

Season 11 as a whole
9/10
1. Teachers Pests
2. Squid Noir
8/10
3. There's a Sponge in My Soup
4. The Checkup
5. The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom
6. Larry the Floor Manager
7. Spot Returns
7/10
8. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
9. Spin the Bottle
10. Man Ray Returns
11. Scavenger Pants
12. Cave Dwelling Sponge
5/10
13. Cuddle E Hugs
14. No Pictures Please
4/10
15. The Clam Whisperer
16. Stuck on the Roof
2/10
17. Pat the Horse

Reactions: Klu

RDSP

Banished
Um... I actually like this episode. Unironically, at that. While I do see the concept as being rather weird and out there, at the same time I can't say it does much too horribly bad and I actually find it pretty good, though more like a 7/10 good than anything else.

Klu

Moby Dollar
hippythehippo said:
Episode 223b Pat the Horse
Air-date: December 2, 2017
Plot: Patrick becomes a horse.
Music: Rodeo Daze
Writer: Kaz

While I do enjoy post-sequel a lot, I can't deny these Seasons have a few duds. Today we encounter one of them. And this is one I have a huge a lot of problems with. A lot of this episode is just irritating, and tests my patience in a way that the show hasn't in quite a while. While not completely awful, or unsavagable, I'm sorry but I didn't enjoy this one bit.

The episode opens up to Spongebob reading Patrick a bedtime story. Spongebob reads a book called "You Can Be Anything." Patrick finds something he likes.....which is being a horse. Spongebob tries to talk Patrick out of it, but Patrick insists on being a horse. Spongebob puts him to bed, and goes to bed himself. The next morning, he wakes up to Patrick imitating a horse by making horse sounds. Spongebob is delighted, and takes Pat to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs schemes to use Patrick for one of his plans to make money.

Patrick eventually snaps against Krabs, and Spongebob chases after Patrick. Squidward than becomes the horse, after some horse puns. Patrick escapes to the desert, and Spongebob looks for him. Patrick is at first apprehensive, but warms up to Spongebob, and the duo head back to the Krusty Krab. They encounter Krabs, who turns Squidward into a horse, and the 2 chastise Spongebob for Patrick being weak. Krabs and Spongebob challenge each other to a race, and Spongebob comes out victorious...until Patrick eats the patty, so Krabs wins. Pat says he wants to be a crab, and Sponge and Squid ride off into the sunset.

This story is so dull and lifeless. Most of the episode is nothing happening, which I criticized Mutiny on the Krusty for. While it's not quite as bad here, the episode is too slow. The opening bit is pretty unbearable, with Patrick acting obnoxious, and the rest of the episode is just him playing into his delusions. The episode moves so slow. Nothing happens for a majority of it, and it gets to the point of utmost stupidity when Spongebob is trying to tame Patrick in the desert. Than there is the fact that the episode is stupid. Lot's of episodes are stupid, heck this Season has Spin the Bottle and Sponge in My Soup, but this episode just rolls with it's dumb concept, driving everyone down to the point of unbearability.

Too be fair, I liked some of the gags here. The "I can work him like a horse line" is brilliant. Excellent wordplay here. Too bad it had to be in an episode that otherwise lacks much in the way of jokes. Maybe a few of Squid's horse lines were amusing, and the race scene has a few other amusing gags, such as Krabs imitating a police man, which is so absurd that you gotta love it. Beyond that, I didn't find much else funny. The episode is so dry in terms of humor. This is a problem, as at the climax, I am uninvested at the stupidity being thrown out at me.

Patrick is truly awful here. He is stupid, but not THIS delusional. He has no reason to be a horse, yet he becomes one anyway? I really hate how he is characterized here. While he doesn't behave like a monster, he's to dumb and brain dead for me to care about him. Krabs is demoted to his post movie equivalent. He is just money loving, does not car about life guy. I thought we got over this, but I guess he is not. I could even argue that he is worse here than in Out of the Picture. At least there, it's for comedy. Here, he just is a one note, boring, plot device to give us this "story." Squidward's quips are also pretty annoying.

I have not much positive to say. This honestly has a legitimate chance in my bottom 20-25 worst episodes of all time. Yeah, I dislike it that much. It's not the worst episode ever, but most of it is too stupid and irritating for me to enjoy. The characters are flanderized, Patrick is horrible, the conflict is dull and pointless, and beyond that, the episode is boring. While it's not at the depths of Boating Buddies, Choir Boys, A Pal for Gary, or Smoothe Jazz, I still struggle finding positives in this.

Rating: Scummy
Score: 2/10
Thoughts: (Doesn't represent what Spongebob stands for)
Place: #17/17

Season 11 as a whole
9/10
1. Teachers Pests
2. Squid Noir
8/10
4. The Checkup
7. Spot Returns
7/10
8. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
9. Spin the Bottle
10. Man Ray Returns
11. Scavenger Pants
12. Cave Dwelling Sponge
5/10
13. Cuddle E Hugs
14. No Pictures Please
4/10
15. The Clam Whisperer
16. Stuck on the Roof
2/10
17. Pat the Horse
AGREE SO MUCH
this episode deserve much more hate, seriously

Coffee_lover

Banished
Pat the Horse have so idiotic atmosphere that actually entertains me,but at the same time i’m objectivity can’t call it good or something like that,IDK what my real opinion anymore

hippythehippo

Banished
Episode 223a Sanitation Insanity
Air-date: May 7, 2018
Plot: Spongebob and Squidward have to clean Bikini Bottom
Music: Unknown Track 1
Writer: Ben Gruber

Since Shopping List "aired", I guess I can do this review a bit earlier than usual. Considering last episode was a complete dumpster fire, it would be not too big a challenge to top, but this concept worried me a bit. The trash concept had already been done in Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, which was an annoying waste of time due to some dumb running gags and annoying characters. However, I still thought this episode could be handled right if well written. Well was it?

The episode opens up at the Krusty Krab, where Spongebob and Squidward are trying to stuff a lot of trash into one bag. Krabs refuses to buy another one, so the duo have to make do with what they have. The bag cracks, and eventually explodes all over Bikini Bottom. Two trash inspectors come in, and give Krabs the task of cleaning up Bikini Bottom. Krabs than shoves the task onto Spongebob and Squidward, who have to do it in a crappy dump truck.

It starts off horribly, as Spongebob distracts Squidward from driving, and Spongebob drives terribly later, but eventually the duo manage to clean almost every house. The only one left is Patrick. When Spongebob and Squidward try to take Pat's trash, Pat stops them, and turns into a trash shield thing. Sponge and Squid turn into a transformer robot, and they start flinging trash at eachother. It lands on Krabs, who is at the Krusty Krab, and he tells the three to stop, but it evolves to chaos. The trash inspectors come, and the Krusty Krew are forced to do community service.

You might be wondering why the summary is so short. Well, this is a gag based episode, not a story driven one, so obviously the episode would focus on the comedy more than telling a good story. If there is one thing I have to complain about the story, it's that Patrick has no motivation in what he is doing. This didn't bug me on first watch, but the problem does stand out a bit. Maybe him just saying he likes his trash would be better, as I feel that it sort of hurts the episode. Another thing that irked me was Krabs going back to the cheap motivation for not getting another garbage bag. Both complaints are relatively minor though. The episode is gag based, so I cut the episode a bit of slack on these issues. In general, this episode is pretty well paced, which I was especially surprised about considering who wrote it, but yeah, it's fast but not too fast (something the next episode forgets). The animation for the trash is also not gross. Unlike KBBB, it's more just slime, rather than actual texture and realistic color put on there.

Comedy aint half bad here. My favorite joke is the whole transformer sequence. The first time I saw this, I was on the floor laughing, especially Patrick's reaction to the whole thing. There are a few witty quotes here, such as the "taking Patrick to the dump" line, among a few others. The middle is full of nice gags, and my favorite is when Spongebob is driving the truck, and he runs over a bunch of cars that the con man is trying to sell to Carl. I don't know if that is a bit of irony, but either way the whole sequence was pretty funny. There are more jokes than what I listed, but as I said, it is a gag based episode, so there are a lot of gags, and definitely a decent amount of good ones.

I already said my grievances with Patrick and Krabs, but they are a small part of the episode. I actually enjoy the new trash inspectors, they are pretty cool characters. They are so into their job, and it's especially funny cause they are trash inspectors. They really remind me of Charlton Huckfish from Sewers in how over the top they are. The Spongebob and Squidward dynamic is pretty fun. While we had a few of these already in the Season, this one does keep itself original, so I can only be happy about it. The crew nailed down the personalities of the two. Squidward hates his job, while Spongebob is enthusiastic about it. It feels like a return to what made the classic Seasons dynamic so special.

While not amazing, Sanitation Insanity is still a pretty nice episode. It has a lot of fun with the dynamic between Spongebob and Squidward, along with a fast pace and lots of gags. The episode, animation and comedy wise, is far superior to Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful, as this one knows how to keep it silly, without becoming excessively obnoxious or annoying, with some sharp and witty humor. While a few flaws keep me from rating it higher, this episode is still a fast paced joyride.

Rating: Good
Score: 7/10
Thoughts: (An enjoyable, if not mildly flawed, episode)
Place: #8/18

Season 11 as a whole
9/10
1. Teachers Pests
2. Squid Noir
8/10
4. The Checkup
7. Spot Returns
7/10
8. Sanitation Insanuty
9. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
10. Spin the Bottle
11. Man Ray Returns
12. Scavenger Pants
13. Cave Dwelling Sponge
5/10
14. Cuddle E Hugs
15. No Pictures Please
4/10
16. The Clam Whisperer
17. Stuck on the Roof
2/10
18. Pat the Horse

I can't wait to praise the next episode, an amazing masterpiece, the greatest episode of any TV show ever. The question of the day is pretty obvious. :hehe:

QOTD: Are you a bunny now?

RDSP

Banished
Sanitation Insanity is a good episode, although there is better in Season 11.

QotD: I'M A BUNNY NOW!

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
I decided to watch Bunny Hunt and it was amazing! my stomach hurts due to all the laughs! and the ending is pure perfection! it just decent

I don't think that an episode without dialogue humor is instantly unfunny, The Amazing World of Gumball has a lot of visual gags that made me laugh a lot (it has witty humor too), the problem is when the visual humor is not well done and uncreative, like in the second half of Krusty Katering

hippythehippo

Banished
Episode 223b Bunny Hunt
Air-date: March 30, 2018
Plot: A bunny terroizes conch street
Music: Cocunt Cream Pie
Writer: Mr. Lawrence

It has been 3 weeks since I've last done one of these, so let's change that. And we have a rabid monster this week, in the episode that formed a cancerous meme that plauged this site admst my arrivial. It is such a powerful meme, people seem to forget anything about the rest of the episode. I can't lie, writing the synopsis for this would be a pain in my behind, so I decided to do something a little different today. I am going to take an in depth look at each of the parts of the episode, and analyse how it does each part to shake up the format a bit. Hope you guys enjoy a bit out of the normal reviewing patterns.

Story

Bunny Hunt's story is an interesting case. It's story is so facinating, because it has no story. The episode starts off with a simple plot of a bunny annoying Squidward. The problem is, the bunny has no motivation. This could be easily solved if the quickly establishes that Squidward builds the garden over the bunny's home, but the episode opens up on a random note. This leads to a problem throughout the first part. The bunny is torturing Squidward for little reason, thus making the audience frustrated at it's antics. Some people may not care, but I certainly do. This results in undeserved misery for Squidward, especially the ending craziness. It comes out of nowhere, considering what the second half is about.

Speaking of the second half, let's get into it. This is when the episode REALLY falls apart. The first half was okay enough. I enjoy some aspects of it, such as the way Squidward actually gets rid of the bunny, it was decent enough. But oh man, the episode goes full Krusty Katering once Spongebob enters the picture. Hell, it goes beyond Krusty Katering. First off, Spongebob should not be in this episode as a leading protaganist at all. I have already said before that this episode should have been a short, and if it had, it would be that much better. End the episode after Squid gets rid of a bunny, and another legion of bunnies terroize him for his wrong doings. But no, this needs to be 11 minutes. It's not another episode (Doodle Dimension) down the road would benifit from a longer run time, but I am getting ahead of myself.

The episode connects both parts loosley, and the middle part is absolute madness. From the moment they step into Spongebob's house, the episode becomes fast paced, loud, with the Ren and Stimpy esque art at it's max. No sense is made. How did Patrick get in the picture? Somehow, because we have to set up this dumb "hunt" excuse to catch the bunnies. And they do the generic rabbits breed like crazy joke, and it is kind off uncomfertable here. Something about it just does not feel right for me, but I digress. The bunnies somehow destroy Spongebob's and Squidward's house, to the complete apathy of Spongebob and Patrick.

And the ending here deserves it's own paragraph. This drives the episode down hard, and makes it on par with Ink Lemonade in my eyes. As we established above, what did Squidward do to the bunnies, or anyone for that matter, to make the world crap on him like this. Scavenger Pants, Mustard O Mine, and Squid Noir knew how to do the dynamic to fit the atmosphere and the characters, why did they not do it here? Squidward gets absolutley crapped on here for no reason. It might have worked for Spongebob, as he WILLINGLY took the bunny under his care, but what did Squidward do at all?

God this story was an absolute disaster. No plot, just pure randomness to acompany low substance and ideas, absolute chaos for the sake of absolute chaos, what more do I need to say? Events do not connect at all in this episode, and the extreme fast paced nature, along with the Ren and Stimpy visuals, drive this to a point of pure frustration. I know a good story is not needed for a good episode, I understand that, as the show is more gag based these days, so how about we see how the comedy fared in this episode...

Comedy

Absolute garbage. The comedy I mean. The slapstick is kicked up a notch here, along with the bombastic visuals (I know I keep bringing them up, but they do downgrade my enjoyment of this episode specificly). As I said above, there is little substance for the episode as is, but non stop randomess and loudness, and noise, don't hide the fact that the episode is poorly put together. However, I did find some jokes to be amusing. The "You can keep him, it saves me a trip to the incinerator" line is pretty decent, along with Squidward impersonating a chef, and some of his antics of trying to catch the bunny, and yes, I did enjoy "I am a bunny now" too. These moments save this episode from going to the depths of Pat the Horse, or heck, even sinking below it.

Characters

This feels like a Season 6 episode in many respects. I know I know, it is not AS bad as a typical Season 6 Squidward episode, but it is around the same ballpark. Squidward does nothing wrong, and the world punishes him. However, I forgive this a little. The episode is cartoony, and does not dwell on the suffering of Squidward, which is a step in the right direction and everything. The problem is that Squidward's torture isn't entertaining in the least. It feels a bit too cruel, though not bottom tier cruel.

As for the bunny, I appreciate the crew actually based it off of a real sea creature (compared to Squarepants Family Vacation, where there was a fly there somehow), and he is pretty cute. That is where the positives end. The episode makes the bunny annoying, but I think that is more due to poor writing, rather than making him intentionally this bad. Beyond that, I have no particular strong feelings for or against him.

Spongebob and Patrick on the other hand behave exactly as they did in Whirlybrains here. They are loud, they are obnoxious, they have little reasons for there actions, they just let things happen instead of being part of the solution. I don't have much to say about them, the episode speaks for itself on how bad they are. I mean, at least they aren't stalkers I guess. :dunno:

Conclusion

This episode is loud, this episode is annoying, this episode isn't funny, this episode has poor charcters and writing, I think it is obvious I am not exactly a fan of it. It's a shame too. If you cut the run time a bit, shave off some Squid torture, give a motivation for the bunny's actions, and streamline it a bit, you could have a really good episode, one that could even compare to things like Patty Gadget and Gary takes a Bath. Instead, we get a sloppily put together, and obviously rushed episode. As i said above, I like a few thngs in this one that keep it from being Pat the Horse levels of bad, but thisis one I will not be rewatching anytime soon. You could say I am not a bunny now.

Rating: Bad
Score: 3/10
Thoughts: (Doesn't reperesnt what Spongebob stands for)
Place: #18/19

Season 11 as a whole
9/10
1. Teachers Pests
2. Squid Noir
8/10
4. The Checkup
7. Spot Returns
7/10
8. Sanitation Insanuty
9. Krabby Patty Creature Feature
10. Spin the Bottle
11. Man Ray Returns
12. Scavenger Pants
13. Cave Dwelling Sponge
5/10
14. Cuddle E Hugs
15. No Pictures Please
4/10
16. The Clam Whisperer
17. Stuck on the Roof
3/10
18. Bunny Hunt
2/10
19. Pat the Horse

Prepare for 4 more reviews in the coming week.

QOTD Do you own, or have ever owned, a pet?

Back