Every Episode of SpongeBob Reviewed: A Video Series

SpongyDevotee

Giant Clam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53r94mdjO7c

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this video that I requested! ^^ It was really amazing, and I loved it very much!

I really liked how you explained why these certain episodes would be great for pre-movie veterans to watch, and while you obviously can't guarantee that they'll like them, you can see how they might.

Also, I really enjoy the fact that you're bringing light on the "hidden" goodness of post-movie. While most people talk about the bad episodes of post-movie, it was great that you're proving that there is in fact a pretty good wealth of great episodes in the post-movie era that are almost, if not as, amazing as the pre-movie episodes. And it was great that you sorted the episodes based on their similarity to the pre-movie greatness, as opposed to being sorted in terms of which episode is better in your opinion as a whole.

So anyway, I really agree with most of the episodes' placements on the list:

1. Krabs a la Mode
2. Roller Cowards
3. SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget
4. The Krusty Plate
5. Spy Buddies
6. Goo Goo Gas
7. Blackened Sponge
8. Friend or Foe
9. The Two Faces of Squidward
10. The Krusty Sponge

Honorable Mentions:
To Love a Patty
Picture Day

For the ones I agree with: Krabs a la Mode is an awesome Plankton episode that succeeded in so many ways, like you explained. Roller Cowards is amazing and really funny. (I also liked how you explained how amazing the tension and story archs are, since SpongeBob and Patrick are BOTH afraid to go on the ride, but don’t want each other to know. I love that. It would’ve been lame if only one of them was afraid, but the other wasn’t.) SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget is very witty and creative. Blackened Sponge is hilarious and amazing in story-telling, too. Friend or Foe has a very clever backstory and a great amount of jokes. The Krusty Sponge is pretty funny, has incidental (or so we think) and great satire, and is a very spongy-filled episode, literally.

But I disagree with these choices:

The Krusty Plate - It's an amazing episode and all, but I personally would've put Picture Day on here. (My 2nd favorite Season 5 episode, and 3rd favorite post-movie episode.) But it's okay, since it's your opinion, obviously. And it was great that you mentioned the episode, and put it on the corner of the Top 10 at the end. But if you put The Two Faces of Squidward on here, an episode that might turn pre-movie veterans off because of the first 1/3rds of the episode, then I don’t see why you wouldn’t put this one on here, if the only thing in the episode that might turn pre-movie veterans off is Patrick’s “smug-face” behavior? I respect your opinion and placements on the list, but I’m not sure if I entirely understand your reasoning, is all.

Spy Buddies and Goo Goo Gas- I would've put New Digs (my favorite Season 5 and post-movie episode) in here instead of one of these two. Most likely, I'd replace Goo Goo Gas with New Digs if I hypothetically made this list, since there already is a Plankton episode on this list, Krabs a la Mode. But yeah, those two episodes are really awesome, though. I just like New Digs better.

The Two Faces of Squidward- While I don’t entirely disagree with this episode being on the list, I have a few things to say: To be honest, I also am skeptical if pre-movie fans would like this episode, too. The beginning of the episode is pretty annoying, but yeah, the rest of the episode really is amazing. You explained all of this really well.

Anyway, I also liked your coverage of To Love a Patty, since that is a perfect ScumBob episode for pre-movie veterans to make fun of, instead of getting tortured, while watching it. I actually like this episode, though, since I thought it was funny and amusing. (Make fun of me, if you wish. I am entitled to my opinion, and I would be lying if I said that I hated this episode.) But yes, I do agree that the idea of SpongeBob dating a Krabby Patty is pretty silly and something that people could make fun of.

Some other things I would like to say is that I love that Gold rating that you used for your Top 5 episodes. I love the shiny transition effect, too. It’s a really great idea, since it’s pretty awesome that the word Good is similar to Gold. I wonder why I never thought of that, lol. But anyway, I’ve never seen anyone else use that rating, so I’d say that it’s a pretty great rating.
Also, I loved how you rhymed in the new parts of the SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget review. It was very spot-on and you really did rhyme well. It was definitely a great idea to do that. :) And it was pretty funny how you rhymed great to the next episode, The Krusty Plate. xD

So overall, I love this video and I am very glad that I chose it on Patreon! ^_^ It was definitely a very enjoyable Spongey Bits to watch!

Oh, and one last thing I want to say, is that you sort of foreshadowed what you think of some Season 6 episodes, I think, when you said that Plankton is one of the best things about post-movie. So I’m guessing that a lot of the Plankton episodes of Season 6 will be Good. (Excluding Truth or Square, and possibly Komputer Overlord.) We already know that Chum Bucket Supreme will be Good, from your Square Theory video. And that is awesome, since that episode is actually my favorite Season 6 episode. Yes, I consider it better than Sand Castles in the Sand. It was REALLY funny, had great character interactions, had an awesome action scene with SpongeBob in the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 portal things, that hilarious slideshow scene with SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, the awesome Chum is Fum and Fum is Chum slogans, and so much more. It’s such an underrated episode, but I really love it. :)

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
And I still don't get the hype over "Picture Day." I barely found it better than a lot of the other shorts really. Perhaps that's one I should revisit. I just didn't see anything there that stood out enough at all when I watched it for myself a while ago, especially on the laughs and I don't mind that people like this ep at all but just saying.

And To Love a Patty still pisses me off to no end. Ugh. I would have just picked something like "Good Ol' Whatshisname" instead because it's really stupid but only wastes 7 minutes of your time and no godawful, bottom of the barrel songs either.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
Now that I look back at it, "Picture Day" is pretty overrated. It's pretty much a "Kick the Sponge" episode. Also, I'm using a new term for these kinds of episodes since "_______ Torture you-know-what" is an inappropriate term. Also, I don't see what's so funny about Patrick mistaking SpongeBob for jelly.

10. But Squidward got tortured at the end for no good reason. Also, Mr. Krabs calls it a happy ending when he gets off scot-free and Squidward gets tortured.
9. It is good, but there is one bit of dialogue that is questionable in this episode.
Mr. Krabs: For a small fee of $14.98 per person, everyone will get the opportunity to touch Squidward!
8. I didn't remember this special enough to give an opinion on it.
7. Meh
6. This is a good episode. Not great, but good.
5. Yes. So much yes.
4. Love it
3. Agreed
2. I wouldn't have put it this high, but okay.
1. New Digs was better IMO

Pieguyrulz

One Coarse Me
SpongyDevotee said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53r94mdjO7c

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for making this video that I requested! ^^ It was really amazing, and I loved it very much!

I really liked how you explained why these certain episodes would be great for pre-movie veterans to watch, and while you obviously can't guarantee that they'll like them, you can see how they might.

Also, I really enjoy the fact that you're bringing light on the "hidden" goodness of post-movie. While most people talk about the bad episodes of post-movie, it was great that you're proving that there is in fact a pretty good wealth of great episodes in the post-movie era that are almost, if not as, amazing as the pre-movie episodes. And it was great that you sorted the episodes based on their similarity to the pre-movie greatness, as opposed to being sorted in terms of which episode is better in your opinion as a whole.

So anyway, I really agree with most of the episodes' placements on the list:

1. Krabs a la Mode
2. Roller Cowards
3. SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget
4. The Krusty Plate
5. Spy Buddies
6. Goo Goo Gas
7. Blackened Sponge
8. Friend or Foe
9. The Two Faces of Squidward
10. The Krusty Sponge

Honorable Mentions:
To Love a Patty
Picture Day

For the ones I agree with: Krabs a la Mode is an awesome Plankton episode that succeeded in so many ways, like you explained. Roller Cowards is amazing and really funny. (I also liked how you explained how amazing the tension and story archs are, since SpongeBob and Patrick are BOTH afraid to go on the ride, but don’t want each other to know. I love that. It would’ve been lame if only one of them was afraid, but the other wasn’t.) SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget is very witty and creative. Blackened Sponge is hilarious and amazing in story-telling, too. Friend or Foe has a very clever backstory and a great amount of jokes. The Krusty Sponge is pretty funny, has incidental (or so we think) and great satire, and is a very spongy-filled episode, literally.

But I disagree with these choices:

The Krusty Plate - It's an amazing episode and all, but I personally would've put Picture Day on here. (My 2nd favorite Season 5 episode, and 3rd favorite post-movie episode.) But it's okay, since it's your opinion, obviously. And it was great that you mentioned the episode, and put it on the corner of the Top 10 at the end. But if you put The Two Faces of Squidward on here, an episode that might turn pre-movie veterans off because of the first 1/3rds of the episode, then I don’t see why you wouldn’t put this one on here, if the only thing in the episode that might turn pre-movie veterans off is Patrick’s “smug-face” behavior? I respect your opinion and placements on the list, but I’m not sure if I entirely understand your reasoning, is all.

Spy Buddies and Goo Goo Gas- I would've put New Digs (my favorite Season 5 and post-movie episode) in here instead of one of these two. Most likely, I'd replace Goo Goo Gas with New Digs if I hypothetically made this list, since there already is a Plankton episode on this list, Krabs a la Mode. But yeah, those two episodes are really awesome, though. I just like New Digs better.

The Two Faces of Squidward- While I don’t entirely disagree with this episode being on the list, I have a few things to say: To be honest, I also am skeptical if pre-movie fans would like this episode, too. The beginning of the episode is pretty annoying, but yeah, the rest of the episode really is amazing. You explained all of this really well.

Anyway, I also liked your coverage of To Love a Patty, since that is a perfect ScumBob episode for pre-movie veterans to make fun of, instead of getting tortured, while watching it. I actually like this episode, though, since I thought it was funny and amusing. (Make fun of me, if you wish. I am entitled to my opinion, and I would be lying if I said that I hated this episode.) But yes, I do agree that the idea of SpongeBob dating a Krabby Patty is pretty silly and something that people could make fun of.

Some other things I would like to say is that I love that Gold rating that you used for your Top 5 episodes. I love the shiny transition effect, too. It’s a really great idea, since it’s pretty awesome that the word Good is similar to Gold. I wonder why I never thought of that, lol. But anyway, I’ve never seen anyone else use that rating, so I’d say that it’s a pretty great rating.
Also, I loved how you rhymed in the new parts of the SpongeBob vs the Patty Gadget review. It was very spot-on and you really did rhyme well. It was definitely a great idea to do that. :) And it was pretty funny how you rhymed great to the next episode, The Krusty Plate. xD

So overall, I love this video and I am very glad that I chose it on Patreon! ^_^ It was definitely a very enjoyable Spongey Bits to watch!

Oh, and one last thing I want to say, is that you sort of foreshadowed what you think of some Season 6 episodes, I think, when you said that Plankton is one of the best things about post-movie. So I’m guessing that a lot of the Plankton episodes of Season 6 will be Good. (Excluding Truth or Square, and possibly Komputer Overlord.) We already know that Chum Bucket Supreme will be Good, from your Square Theory video. And that is awesome, since that episode is actually my favorite Season 6 episode. Yes, I consider it better than Sand Castles in the Sand. It was REALLY funny, had great character interactions, had an awesome action scene with SpongeBob in the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 portal things, that hilarious slideshow scene with SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs, the awesome Chum is Fum and Fum is Chum slogans, and so much more. It’s such an underrated episode, but I really love it. :)
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and felt you got your monies worth :D

As far as your disagreements, here is why I chose to do what I did:

I like Picture Day, I really do. I'm just not sure it would draw anyone in as much as the Krusty Plate and SB vs PG. I didn't want to have too many shorts, because I wanted it to be a sampling of newer SB, which is still mostly 11 minute episodes. Similarly, I put Two Faces of Squid on because of it's problems and payoff. A lot of episodes that I think are good post movie do have at least one big problem, it's important for the audience to realize that despite the problems, there can be enough good things to balance it out as a good experience overall. As far as New Digs... I just don't see the appeal :P to be honest it came close to a meh. The story is solid, but the comedy is lacking. There are some good funny moments with Squid, but otherwise I didn't laugh much. It was enough for me to call it good, but not something I would recommend above the ones on my list, but that's just my opinion ;)

More

VIP
I honestly don't believe "To Love a Patty" was the best choice for the ScumBob episode because really, it feels a lot more like a Season 6 episode. Season 6 failed because of stuff like terrible animation and high out-of-characterness, which was exhibited in that episode, however, I think Season 5 (at least it's bad episodes) failed because it's episodes were just written pretty quickly, they're not bad for a reason as specific as TLAP. If I were making this list, I'd pick "Waiting" just because I think it represents Season 5 better.

While I still think Blackened Sponge meh (maybe I should watch it once again) and The Krusty Sponge is a good but flawed episode, I agree with other choices. I liked thr video.

Pieguyrulz said:
Glad to hear that you enjoyed it and felt you got your monies worth :D

As far as your disagreements, here is why I chose to do what I did:

I like Picture Day, I really do. I'm just not sure it would draw anyone in as much as the Krusty Plate and SB vs PG. I didn't want to have too many shorts, because I wanted it to be a sampling of newer SB, which is still mostly 11 minute episodes. Similarly, I put Two Faces of Squid on because of it's problems and payoff. A lot of episodes that I think are good post movie do have at least one big problem, it's important for the audience to realize that despite the problems, there can be enough good things to balance it out as a good experience overall. As far as New Digs... I just don't see the appeal :P to be honest it came close to a meh. The story is solid, but the comedy is lacking. There are some good funny moments with Squid, but otherwise I didn't laugh much. It was enough for me to call it good, but not something I would recommend above the ones on my list, but that's just my opinion ;)
Cool dude. Wasn't trying to be mean or anything. Seems like you have good justification to think the way you do about these episodes and there is no denying that even some of the better episodes of the post movie era aren't perfect or anything.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
So, PGR. Did you once say you would like to take requests on what you'd like to discuss in season 6's animation? I recall you saying this once, but I'm not too sure, and I can't find the post. I, and the other members, have quite a few things we'd like for you to mention about season 6's grotesque animation and artwork.

Amphitrite said:
So, PGR. Did you once say you would like to take requests on what you'd like to discuss in season 6's animation? I recall you saying this once, but I'm not too sure, and I can't find the post. I, and the other members, have quite a few things we'd like for you to mention about season 6's grotesque animation and artwork.
He's gonna talk about it in the Season 6 video. Originally, that was sort of my idea to have him talk about the decline of the animation on the show but he felt like the video wouldn't be his best work for many reasons so we agreed to settle on a different idea and it turned out to be a fantastic video IMO.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
He's gonna talk about it in the Season 6 video. Originally, that was sort of my idea to have him talk about the decline of the animation on the show but he felt like the video wouldn't be his best work for many reasons so we agreed to settle on a different idea and it turned out to be a fantastic video IMO.
Hmm. Fair point.

But, I still don't know what Pieguyrulz will find that stands out in season 7, besides Plankton disgusing as someone. =/

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Continuing of Gary centered episodes, including "Gary in Love" perhaps.
Oh, you're right! That's so true! Season 7 did seem to have a lot of Gary-centric episodes. This season 7 discussion is making me more interested in PGR's season 7 review, now. :|

Amphitrite said:
Oh, you're right! That's so true! Season 7 did seem to have a lot of Gary-centric episodes. This season 7 discussion is making me more interested in PGR's season 7 review, now. :|
Let's see.

Season 6:
Grooming Gary
Pet or Pests
Shell Shocked

Season 7:
A Pal for Gary
Gary in Love
The Cent of Money
Shellback Shenanigans

7 Gary episodes from these two seasons added together. Wow. Season 8 has Pet Sitter Pat and Season 9 has Gary's New Toy.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Popeye Q. Krabs said:
Let's see.

Season 6:
Grooming Gary
Pet or Pests
Shell Shocked

Season 7:
A Pal for Gary
Gary in Love
The Cent of Money
Shellback Shenanigans

7 Gary episodes from these two seasons added together. Wow. Season 8 has Pet Sitter Pat and Season 9 has Gary's New Toy.
I used to always think of Shell Shocked as a season 7 episode for some reason. Of course, even I'm surprised that seasons 8-9 barely have Gary episodes.

That One Random Boss

Mascot of the Real Nep
Amphitrite said:
I used to always think of Shell Shocked as a season 7 episode for some reason. Of course, even I'm surprised that seasons 8-9 barely have Gary episodes.
Seasons 8 and 9 thankfully focus less on Squid torture, Plankton, and the Krusty Krab and instead on adventures of SpongeBob and his friends. For example, the vacation series, as meh as it was, focused on each character's ideal vacations. I guess that's why I enjoy seasons 8 and 9 so much. :P

tEMMIE

hOI!!!
Out of curiosity, PieGuy, do you have any plans to do the same treatment to other animated shows? :)

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
About Yours, Mine and Mine, do you know what I wish would happen in that episode? I wish the toy, being a Krabby Patty, would become spoiled rotten, and when Patrick eats it, he becomes sick, and winds up in the hospital. Then, he learns his lesson and promises to share with SpongeBob next time, and we DON'T have a bad moral at the end.

Long story short: Patrick receives his karma and learns his lesson. How is that not a good ending for a horrid episode?

Back