Every Episode of SpongeBob Reviewed: A Video Series

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Wow. Looks like Pieguy went ahead and started watching season 11 already!
https://mobile.twitter.com/PIEGUYRULZ/status/1045744103009538049
Gosh, it’s gonna be hard to predict what he’ll rate the season as a wh-
medium.gif

Cyril

Flying Dutchman's Sock
as someone who has literally not logged onto this forum for years i did my own ratings of the season before watching pieguy's & compared

surprisingly, as usual, we disagree on a lot :P

Whirlybrains - BAD (SCUMBOB)
I just don't... get the point of this one. It felt like a filler gag stretched out to episode length, and the fart/poop jokes didn't help at all. There's not even any conflict until the last third of the episode and thus it's resolved really quickly. I don't think it's the worst episode ever but I did not find much enjoyable or interesting here.

MermaidPants - MEH (MEH)
Ehh, the setup for the actual plot took way too long & was just more "annoy squidward" but there were some good moments in the second half, like Squidward being really into being a villain for one. And the announcer at the very end. It was fine. A bit shaky, but, fine.

Unreal Estate - GOOD (MEH)
This was pretty solid, maybe a bit too much of Spongebob and Squidward mutually beating themselves up and they never resolved what was really giving Spongebob allergies but in general it kept me interested and was decently funny, so, sure.

Code Yellow - GOOD (GOOD)
Spongebob being a fluke doctoral genius is kind of a fun concept really. though him taking it out on Squidward maybe not as much? Squid is asleep most of the time though so whatever, there's a lot of gags and it kept me interested, again, so sure.

Mimic Madness - GOOD (GOOD)
This isn't the best episode of the entire show like some would say but it's good fun and pretty dang funny throughout, still a definite highlight. Not a lot else to say.

House Worming - MEH (SCUMBOB)
I guess it isn't awful but it's mostly like, a lot of Spongebob being sad? And the episode just ends really abruptly... to have this little looney tunes-esque prequel thing happen that I'm not really like, that interested in. I dunno. It's a weird one.

Snooze You Lose - MEH (SCUMBOB)
I can't say there's really much bad about this one but aside from the moments where they decide to do something weird it's all very... predictable and not especially funny. I didn't really get much of anything out of watching this episode.

Krusty Katering - BAD (GOOD)
Nnnope, not doing it for me. The kids are annoying to me, not just to the characters in the show. Like, ugh. And the entire episode is just "shenanigans ensue" with every single character at their most stereotypical. There's already enough episodes poking fun at rich people and this one doesn't do it in a clever or original way, it's just dull and kind of annoying.

Spongebob's Place - GOOD (SCUMBOB)
It's a bit predictable and not especially fresh (basically just a retread of Patty Hype) but it's got a pleasant atmosphere and it's decently funny. Only real complaint is that it felt like it went on several scenes too long. Like everything from Squidward singing onwards felt... tacked on. Ehh. Not a huge deal though.

Plankton Gets the Boot - GOOD (SCUMBOB)
Again another one that's kiiiind of a retread but, I dunno, I found it amusing enough? The characters all felt really in-character here, Plankton being a jerk but also an actual character aside from that, Karen obviously seeing right through the scheme, Spongebob and Patrick both genuinely trying to be helpful. But yeah the plot is... not that fresh, but whatever.

Life Insurance - GOOD (GOOD)
I dunno, I found this one really funny. Not the funniest one ever, but the comedic timing felt on point and a lot of the visual gags were really fun. I like Fiasco showing up for a moment too. And the way the ending just cuts off abruptly, was funnier than it should've been. Solid concept too, I liked this one.

Burst Your Bubble - GOOD (MEH)
This one had some pacing issues (a few scenes that felt... weird & the ending a bit abrupt) but for the most part it was a fun subversion that was amusing enough to watch.

Plankton Retires - MEH (SCUMBOB)
Uuhh I was really disappointed by the ending of this one. Obviously the status quo has to status quo but? It was all just another scheme all along? Robots? Also robots? Robot fiesta? Completely unnecessary fight scene? What?? I can't say there was much humor to be found here either. It's not a bad episode but it's not a particularly good one either.

Trident Trouble - MEH (GOOD)
Not a bad idea for an episode but I don't exactly feel like the made the most of it. The narrator dudes were... kinda pointless and Neptune only got one scene with the spatula before meeting back up with Spongebob, and I feel a bit too much time was spent on the setup. It... wasn't a hugely funny episode either, though it had moments.

The Incredible Shrinking Sponge - BAD (MEH)
Mmm so this season has serious pacing issues. That whole "personal hygeneist" scene felt like complete filler that didn't amount to anything except vaguely gross moments. I like two things in total here; Spongebob being mistaken for Plankton, and Krabs taking the sign out of his thought bubble. But... everything else just felt safe and predictable and hardly entertaining. It's borderline but I reeeeally would not want to come back to this one.

Sportz - GOOD (GOOD)
This one didn't start out great but the escalation in the middle of the episode and sandy being a fun Chaotic Good made the back two thirds of this pretty enjoyable. Also, the wilhelm scream is always good for a laugh. I dunno it's maybe on the low end of good but i enjoyed it.

The Getaway - GOOD (MEH)
I feel like this one doesn't really have good "jokes" but it has a lot of "shenanigans" that keep it entertaining throughout. And it's kind of a different take on Spongebob Meets the Strangler? A bit predictable how everything turns out but Mrs. Puff's subplot was more amusing than it should've been really.

Lost and Found - MEH (SCUMBOB)
I like the concept here and there's a lot of setpieces but... like, half the episode is taken up by one long chase sequence. Also, kids being annoying seems to be a recurring theme in this season and I hate that, haha. I guess this feels like an episode that got too focused on visual aspects and narrative to really be that funny, though there are a few good jokes. It's borderline but I dunno if I'd return to it, so, ehh.

Patrick's Coupon - MEH (GOOD)
It's basically "non-sequitur: the episode". I mean I guess, as far as a Patrick-focused episode, it's okay? It just gives off too much of a "lolsorandom" vibe to really be... interesting, and I can't say I found it that funny either. Plus I hate the design of the ice cream king, soooo. Not bad, not great, meh.

Out of the Picture - BAD (GOOD)
There's literally no reason to point out why this is a bad concept. It's blatantly obvious and it's not the least bit funny.

Feral Friends - GOOD (GOOD)
Oh, a special, ehh? Hillenburg really gets to flex his marine biology degree on this one, haha. The plot is... interesting to say the least but I don't know if it makes for greeeeat comedy. Still, I found it interesting pretty much the whole way through and even learned something, wow! The fourth wall breaks were fun too. So ehh. Yeah, it gets a pass.

Don't Wake Patrick - BAD (MEH)
Patrick.... sleepwalks. Haha the episode is called "Don't Wake Patrick" but he spends most of it asleep good joke. It's just... stuff happening that doesn't make for good comedy and doesn't even go anywhere. I'm inclined to say it's meh but honestly with how much of a complete waste of time it felt like, I dunno. I legitimately zoned out watching this, even as short as it was.

GOOD: 10
MEH: 7
BAD: 5

we agree on sportz though which, according to like the last page or two of this thread? is widely hated? that's interesting i guess LOL

i think i'm generally a biiiit kinder but this season overall does feel incredibly meh, there's only one single episode i found reeeally good (the obvious one)

OotP I can see being good if you find it funny...... which I did not, at all. The "art art art art" thing got a chuckle out of me I guess but that was about it. Biggest disagreement for sure, right there.

Cyril said:
we agree on sportz though which, according to like the last page or two of this thread? is widely hated? that's interesting i guess LOL
Sportz? being widely hated isn't anything new though. There's only a handful of people on the forum that actually like the episode.

Cyril

Flying Dutchman's Sock
Cyril said:
as someone who has literally not logged onto this forum for years
please acknowledge the above

though i guess it's not actually "years" so much as "a year and change" since the site says my last post was july 2017

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Cyril said:
I know at least 4 other people who have it in their bottom 10 (two 3rd's, a 4th, and a 6th worst respectively) and it's my least favorite of the entire show, for reasons I have explained on here and on other websites. It's not widely hated persay as the general consensus is that it's "meh", but those of us who do hate it consider it bottom 5 worthy. We merely find the episode completely broken in terms of plot structure, full of plot conveniences, has some horrifically marred characterization, and has no interesting humor as pretty much the only actual attempt at a joke is "people get hurt by sports" slapstick.

I'm fine with Pieguy having a differing opinion despite this being my least favorite, but I personally found his reasonings to be weak and when compared to his other reviews, contradictory and unusually lenient. Some just happened to take that as us being "triggered" since we hate Sportz so much when in reality it was just one of the easiest things to point out given how familiar we are with analyzing the episode.

Prime Jedi

Imitation Krab
Yikes. Glad I decided to not be a regular around here anymore.

Im going to watch the Season 10 review today, to see how much I disagree. :P

I honestly don't really get the hate for Sportz, there's many episodes that are much worse and it just seems like a run of the mill Season 10 episode. Heck, I would even rate Sportz higher than Extreme Spots.

JCM

#cancelspongebob
Pieguyrulz said:
Before you leave forever, please explain one thing:

Where is the "e" in rulz? The substitution of an s for a z I understand because it's what all the cool internet kids do but leaving out a vowel completely is in my mind unforgivable and makes it impossible to take you or your videos seriously.

that and the fact that you like sportz

Edit: sorry, sprtz

Stonecutter777

Imitation Krab
I'm convinced that if Sportz aired during literally any other season from season 5 onwards, the fanbase would consider it "meh" at worst. The fact that season 10 doesn't really have any other infamous episodes (even OOTP is more divisive than outright hated) makes Sportz an easy target, causing it to get way more hate than it deserves. I'm with Pieguy, it's not a great episode, but I don't understand the hate for it at all. I guess the fanbase just really needs at least one episode from each season to be a punching bag that they're willing to make a target out of any episode.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I'm convinced that if Sportz aired during literally any other season from season 5 onwards, the fanbase would consider it "meh" at worst. The fact that season 10 doesn't really have any other infamous episodes (even OOTP is more divisive than outright hated) makes Sportz an easy target, causing it to get way more hate than it deserves. I'm with Pieguy, it's not a great episode, but I don't understand the hate for it at all. I guess the fanbase just really needs at least one episode from each season to be a punching bag that they're willing to make a target out of any episode.

That's very much how I feel too (Even with SBF's response to me). It says a lot that the episode was generally seen as meh or average when it first came out and then only a few months later gained a huge amount of infamy. And most of the complaints I've seen from people could easily be used for any other episode to make them also seem horrible (for example, if animation mistakes are your big deal, then you should also despise Fear of a Krabby Patty and Best Frenemies, both of which also had tons of little animation mistakes that could be looked at as just the writers being "lazy").

And really, the reaction I've seen to the review has been nothing short of immature. People twisting his words around (Pieguy never said that "Sportz?" was godly or had THE most memorable setpiece in all of SpongeBob for example), changing their username and profile pics over it, focusing on one detail and ignoring the rest of the review (for example, everyone's making fun of Pieguy for his comment about Lost and Found's background yet for some reason always ignore the fact that he brought up other points against the episode), and just in general acting very childish. As a young adult I simply do not approve of this behavior. Though I was already going to leave these sites regardless, I will say that this Pieguyrulz situation certainly did not help matters and if anything only drove me further away from the sites to where all I basically want to do now with SBC is play the presidents game. Clearly Pieguy is feeling the same sort of way I am about this whole "mess".

Pieguyrulz said:
Yeah, I feel the same way.

-

The season 10 review was pretty interesting to watch, mainly because I'd only seen some episodes from the season before watching your review, which had never happened before. Seasons 8 and 9 I hadn't seen every episode of, but for season 10, I've only seen a few episodes. I wasn't expecting there to be that many ScumBobs, but I digress. The reviews have really helped me articulate what I feel about the series nowadays, in that yes, the series is basically stuck in a rut right now. The series has been going on for nearly 20 years, and they're running out of fresh and new ideas, which is why so many episodes this season feel either very similar to or like carbon copies of episodes from the previous seasons, and the quality of the seasons is very okay most of the time in my opinion. Season 10 isn't a bad season by any means, but it does prove that the series doesn't have much of a leg to stand on nowadays.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Stonecutter777 said:
I can't believe that there are multiple people trying to say what is quite possibly the single most baseless argument that I've ever seen online. I'll reiterate myself here
Sunshine Banjo Face said:
Let me make the following clear
  1. If I oh so desperately wanted to bash an episode for the sake of bashing something, then why wait until the middle of season 10? There were other season 10 episodes that are more hated than Sportz, so jumping on that bandwagon would be what would happen if this statement was remotely true and not an overreactionary defensive take. If this were true, then it would also be happening to episodes such as Snooze You Lose and Krusty Katering. Heck, why not even do the same thing for 9B and 11? Don't even dare try to push this narrative further, because there is no merit to it and absolutely no modicum of proof.
  2. I'm not the only one who's explained my hate for Sportz in detail. People have posted their opinions in the episode topic for everyone to see.
I've made a few separate rants on the episode, however some were condensed and I don't know if you've seen the complaints on everything that make it horrendous to me and others as I don't know where exactly you have looked before. As someone who has it as their personal worst, if you're still curious and willing I will be glad to go into further details on why I loathe this episode, for reasons stated in your video and ones that I think that you didn't touch upon at all.
I have actively expressed my distaste for the episode and so have others on here, on SBC, some on the wiki, maybe even a few twitter comments too since there's a big SpongeBob community on there. I have also explicitly stated that if there was anything unclear or that was missed, that I would be fully willing to explain myself over the episode again, as the same would be expected of others. To not see anything on why people think Sportz suck have to be actively ignoring them or are playing the willingly ignorant card. The "this episode is hated just because it's an easy target in the season!" argument makes no sense no matter how you look at it, has absolutely no proof that you use to back up your inane claims, and comes across as overly defensive of this episode. Stop trying to justify this point unless you find any actual merits for it.
BrutalWreckage said:
It says a lot that the episode was generally seen as meh or average when it first came out and then only a few months later gained a huge amount of infamy.
....Do you know that it's possible for the general consensus of an episode to change over time? Happened with numerous episodes like Enchanted Tiki Dreams or even Tentacle Vision which was unironically compared to pre-movie when it came out on TV.Com. It happened with the majority of season 8 as well which was heralded as the perfect new direction when it came out, yet nowadays people have come to the conclusion that it is mediocre. It is more than possible to take a while to hate an episode, as it took me and others such as Slug more than one viewing to find more and more issues with the episode that became apparent on rewatches, which does not prove anything weird as opinions can most certainly change after multiple viewings.

BrutalWreckage said:
And most of the complaints I've seen from people could easily be used for any other episode to make them also seem horrible (for example, if animation mistakes are your big deal, then you should also despise Fear of a Krabby Patty and Best Frenemies, both of which also had tons of little animation mistakes that could be looked at as just the writers being "lazy").
The major complaints with Sportz are not the animation, it's the fact that it's basically the same exact joke, has horrific characterization, and has dumbed down the characters to unbelievable levels to act as a plot contrivance. You already acknowledged people's issues with this episode before by saying that you saw my post saying why I hate the episode, barely a whole week ago! You can't make these claims at all
IMjTIEH.png

Link to my post since it couldn't fit in the full screenshot, since I actually like to give evidence to my claims, these being that you've seen the points against the episode and are blatantly avoiding those for the purpose of your weak argument: https://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/topic/14941-212b-sportz/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-892345

It's more than fine to disagree with me, but you actively lie about what the episode's detractors have to say about the episode. You are blatantly lying about people in order to make them look petty.

BrutalWreckage said:
And really, the reaction I've seen to the review has been nothing short of immature. People twisting his words around (Pieguy never said that "Sportz?" was godly or had THE most memorable setpiece in all of SpongeBob for example), changing their username and profile pics over it, and just in general acting very childish. As a young adult I simply do not approve of this behavior.

I don't see immaturity because at most, there has been honest criticism, and stuff like the name changes and profile picture swaps that you actively complain about are jokes at most. You have actively thrown people under the bus, lie about other's opinions in order to make them seem weaker and more nitpicky, have generalized people under the bus, and if we wanna talk about name changes, you've changed your name to reflect your ability to "destroy people in debates", when you've done absolutely nothing to prove that right here given your huge lack of immaturity. Keep using buzzwords like "triggered", that'll really show your maturity man.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
While we're all arguing about a SpongeBob episode, PGR's YouTube career and self-esteem are in serious jeopardy!

https://twitter.com/PIEGUYRULZ/status/1046909051676872710
I believe the Re-Cast can seriously take off. It’s better to release 90 minutes worth of opinions and trivia weekly than to spend two weeks on 10 minute long videos. Plus if they can make it onto a service like the App Store, they can turn a profit doing something they enjoy.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I can't believe that there are multiple people trying to say what is quite possibly the single most baseless argument that I've ever seen online. I'll reiterate myself here

I have actively expressed my distaste for the episode and so have others on here, on SBC, some on the wiki, maybe even a few twitter comments too since there's a big SpongeBob community on there. I have also explicitly stated that if there was anything unclear or that was missed, that I would be fully willing to explain myself over the episode again, as the same would be expected of others. To not see anything on why people think Sportz suck have to be actively ignoring them or are playing the willingly ignorant card. The "this episode is hated just because it's an easy target in the season!" argument makes no sense no matter how you look at it, has absolutely no proof that you use to back up your inane claims, and comes across as overly defensive of this episode. Stop trying to justify this point unless you find any actual merits for it.

....Do you know that it's possible for the general consensus of an episode to change over time? Happened with numerous episodes like Enchanted Tiki Dreams or even Tentacle Vision which was unironically compared to pre-movie when it came out on TV.Com. It happened with the majority of season 8 as well which was heralded as the perfect new direction when it came out, yet nowadays people have come to the conclusion that it is mediocre. It is more than possible to take a while to hate an episode, as it took me and others such as Slug more than one viewing to find more and more issues with the episode that became apparent on rewatches, which does not prove anything weird as opinions can most certainly change after multiple viewings.

The major complaints with Sportz are not the animation, it's the fact that it's basically the same exact joke, has horrific characterization, and has dumbed down the characters to unbelievable levels to act as a plot contrivance. You already acknowledged people's issues with this episode before by saying that you saw my post saying why I hate the episode, not even a whole week ago! You can't make these claims at all
IMjTIEH.png

Link to my post since it couldn't fit in the full screenshot, since I actually like to give evidence to my claims, these being that you've seen the points against the episode and are blatantly avoiding those for the purpose of your weak argument: https://www.thesbcommunity.com/forums/topic/14941-212b-sportz/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-892345

It's more than fine to disagree with me, but you actively lie about what the episode's detractors have to say about the episode. You are blatantly lying about people in order to make them look petty.

I don't see immaturity because at most, there has been honest criticism, and stuff like the name changes and profile picture swaps that you actively complain about are jokes at most. You have actively thrown people under the bus, lie about other's opinions in order to make them seem weaker and more nitpicky, have generalized people under the bus, and if we wanna talk about name changes, you've changed your name to reflect your ability to "destroy people in debates", when you've done absolutely nothing to prove that right here given your huge lack of immaturity.

1. Yes, episode consensus does change over time. We're not talking about changes within years or after some thought, though, we're talking several months later after the episode premiered when it just suddenly changed to people outright despising the episode. The argument being made here is that the change is so rapid and seems a bit forced, given the fact that before November there really wasn't any Season 10 episode that had too much infamy.

2. I'm not lying about anything. Several people have complained about Sportz having weird animation errors like the names on the box for instance. And I just listed that one complaint because I don't feel like writing a goddamn essay about a SpongeBob episode, especially since the rest just mostly comes down to interpretation. You either like the slapstick or hate the slapstick, like the character's portrayals or hate them, etc.

3. What honest criticism? Not one person I have seen outside of these forums agrees that these posts are anything more than pettiness over Pieguy simply disagreeing with the general consensus on an episode. Oh, so you hate the fact that Pieguy got so bored of Lost and Found that he looked at the backgrounds? Such a huge problem! And again, they are petty jokes that serve no purpose other than to show how upset you are at one person's opinion. Also, don't get into irreleveancies. My username and profile pic changes have nothing to do with the conversation at hand here.

No one's lying about anything here. I'm simply stating arguments that have been made by certain people and explaining why I personally think they're ridiculous.
While we're all arguing about a SpongeBob episode, PGR's YouTube career and self-esteem are in serious jeopardy!

https://twitter.com/PIEGUYRULZ/status/1046909051676872710

I'm not taking this argument seriously anymore anyway. If people want to be this upset and immature over an opinion on a SpongeBob episode, that's their call. I should probably stop replying to these messages since this is all just a waste of breath.

Also, that sucks to hear. Hopefully Pie can get out of this situation.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
1. Yes, episode consensus does change over time. We're not talking about changes within years or after some thought, though, we're talking several months later after the episode premiered when it just suddenly changed to people outright despising the episode. The argument being made here is that the change is so rapid and seems a bit forced, given the fact that before November there really wasn't any Season 10 episode that had too much infamy.
2. I'm not lying about anything. Several people have complained about Sportz having weird animation errors like the names on the box for instance. And I just listed that one complaint because I don't feel like writing a goddamn essay about a SpongeBob episode, especially since the rest just mostly comes down to interpretation. You either like the slapstick or hate the slapstick, like the character's portrayals or hate them, etc.
3. What honest criticism? Not one person I have seen outside of these forums agrees that these posts are anything more than pettiness over Pieguy simply disagreeing with the general consensus on an episode. Oh, so you hate the fact that Pieguy got so bored of Lost and Found that he looked at the backgrounds? Such a huge problem! And again, they are petty jokes that serve no purpose other than to show how upset you are at one person's opinion. Also, don't get into irreleveancies. My username and profile pic changes have nothing to do with the conversation at hand here.
No one's lying about anything here. I'm simply stating arguments that have been made by certain people and explaining why I personally think they're ridiculous.
I'm not taking this argument seriously anymore anyway. If people want to be this upset and immature over an opinion on a SpongeBob episode, that's their call. I should probably stop replying to these messages since this is all just a waste of breath.
Also, that sucks to hear. Hopefully Pie can get out of this situation.

How is the box an animation error and I am not gaining up on it considering I have an episode I think is an 8/10 in my bottom 10

Back