Every Episode of SpongeBob Reviewed: A Video Series

Well, I just finished the video, and I can't say I agree with everything, most of this I actually disagree with, but like with every other video of the series, he did a good job explaining his reasons.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
Great review Pieguy! I made a VERY lengthy YouTube comment about my thoughts, so I won't repeat myself here, but bravo on the video! Very interesting indeed. I'll paste the comment in here.

(EDIT: The text somehow got darker during the pasting. I tried bolding it and changing the color, but it still looks a bit off. If this is too difficult for you to read, I recommend highlighting the text. Very sorry about this).

"Wow... This review was VERY interesting! I actually liked it quite a lot! I do have quite a lot to say, so to anyone reading this, strap in folks! First of all, I LOVE those new Piecons! They are very nicely drawn, and they are definitely a great look for 2018! Second of all, I AM SO happy with several of the ratings you gave! For one thing, I am happy that you loved Mimic Madness. That episode truly is awesome, and definitely deserves all the praise it gets. It's actually my 26th all-time favorite episode! I also am so glad you liked both Sportz? and Trident Trouble, ESPECIALLY Sportz! I have seen that episode get SO much hate on SpongeBob forums, and I just don't get why. It may not be the best of the season, but it is still a very good episode with plenty of funny jokes and scenes! Trident Trouble is also too underappreciated, so I'm glad you enjoyed that a lot as well! I am also glad you liked Feral Friends, even if not quite as much as me. There's several other ratings that I pretty much agree with, but these are the ones that stand out most to me. Third of all, on the flipside, there are still a few ratings I disagree with and that quite shocked me. Namely, the fact that you liked Out of the Picture. I honestly really hate that episode, as I find it very cruel and, outside of Rock Bottom, just not fun to watch at all. I know that I'm kind of in the minority of people who hate this episode, but still, I am surprised you liked it that much. I am also surprised about Burst Your Bubble being a meh, I thought that was a great and creative episode! But it's still your opinion, so I respect it (plus it was a high meh anyway). Lastly, I really do like and appreciate the extent you go through to explain your reasoning for liking or disliking something. This is something you've always done, but in a season as polarized as 10, I am glad that you reasoned yourself pretty effectively. Overall, very good video, well worth the wait! I might disagree with some things, but I still think you explained yourself very well, and it was a great review. Ultimately, I know that you probably just have a different perspective then me on most things since I am just a casual viewer of the show, so I can definitely understand and see why you wouldn't agree with all my opinions. All in all, Bravo, Pieguyrulz! :)"

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Well, this was quite the ride! I know this has been said before, but this review was extremely interesting! With how different season 10 was in certain aspects, it was really difficult to tell what he would think of several season 10 episodes, so of course, a huge chunk of this season review was surprising! Now, before getting to my reactions and highlights, I'll post Pieguy's ratings for the season:

Whirly Brains - ScumBob
Mermaid Pants - Meh

Unreal Estate - Meh
Code Yellow - Good

Mimic Madness - Good
House Worming - ScumBob

Snooze You Lose - ScumBob
Krusty Katering - Good

SpongeBob's Place - ScumBob
Plankton Gets the Boot - ScumBob

Life Insurance - Good
Burst Your Bubble - Meh

Plankton Retires - ScumBob
Trident Trouble - Good

The Incredible Shrinking Sponge - Meh
Sportz? - Good

The Getaway - Meh
Lost and Found - ScumBob

Patrick's Coupon - Good
Out of the Picture - Good

Feral Friends - Good
Don't Wake Patrick - Meh

9 Good episodes
6 Meh episodes
7 ScumBob episodes

Overall: Meh season

Top 5:

5. Feral Friends
4. Out of the Picture
3. Trident Trouble
2. Code Yellow
1. Mimic Madness

Bottom 5:

5. Plankton Retires
4. Plankton Gets the Boot
3. House Worming
2. SpongeBob's Place
1. Whirly Brains

Now for my highlights and reactions, and boy are there a lot of them!

- I had a hard time comprehending whether you'd find Whirly Brains okay or bad. Well, I finally got my answer. I'm not surprised that you disliked the episode, because while it's a guilty pleasure of mine since I loved the visuals and unique concept, I can see people being disturbed by the episode as well. Also, I'm pretty surprised that it's also your least favorite of the season! Not only that, but this also makes season 10 the first season since season 7 to start off with a ScumBob episode. Again, I still see why this episode was off putting for you.
- Aw... Mermaid Pants was only close to getting a Good? I thought the episode's set up was a great lead-up to the climax and had great comedy. But I guess the rating is fair.
- Darn! I thought for sure you were going to rate Unreal Estate as a Good episode! You mentioned just enough of the funny moments in the episode that sounded as if though you'd like it. Though I'll gladly accept the rating you gave it.
- I thought you'd dislike Code Yellow, but I'm actually glad you like it like I do! (expect me to say that for a majority of the season 10 episodes :P ) I agree that the episode does dark humor correctly and I didn't think SpongeBob was a bad character here like others say. Plus, he was trying to help and the outcomes were good, which is another reason I agree with the rating!
- I initially predicted you'd rate Mimic Madness a Meh due to being overly dramatic at some points, but after cherry-picking the good aspects and moments of the episode, I quickly changed my prediction to Good, and I'm glad that you really loved it! It's definitely one of the best episodes of the season! :D
- Holy cow, I'm am SO GLAD that you liked Krusty Katering! Nearly everyone was predicting you'd call it a ScumBob episode for being "too fast", "too crazy", "too obnoxious", or "too unfocused", but I knew deep down that you'd enjoy it! It's actually my favorite episode of season 10, so that's also a plus!
- Yep. I pretty much nailed it with predicting the ScumBob rating for SpongeBob's Place. I liked it when it first premiered until I realized that it did borrow too much from other episodes. I also wasn't too surprised with your thoughts on the other "rehashed" episodes of the season, either.
- Even though I thought you'd rate Life Insurance a Meh, I'm glad that you considered it Good for similar reasons I liked it!
- Not surprised with your rating of Burst Your Bubble, but I guess you don't have much of an opinion on the "boat wash" scene like nearly everyone else does. =P
- While I knew you'd think Plankton Retires is bad, I honestly didn't expect you to like the fail montage and consider it "filler", but I guess I completely forgot about "Nice Try". :P Either way, this episode is just mediocre to me, anyways.
- I'm glad you loved Trident Trouble! It's my second favorite of the season! And yes! I agree that this is WAY better than The Clash of Triton!
- Ooooooh boy... you actually liked Sportz?! Man, with all the flack it was getting by nearly everyone, it was quite hard to predict this! Maybe my mind is just tainted by the other users around here. Not to mention I actually liked this episode as well, so... :P
- Aw... I thought you'd consider The Getaway a Good episode for fast-paced action, great atmosphere, unique concept, and at least a spiritual successor to SpongeBob Meets the Strangler instead of simply being too similar. I guess I got my expectations a little too high for this one. But oh well! It could be worse.
- Wow. You disliked Lost and Found? I never would've guessed. I knew the crying kid was one factor, but I honestly didn't think much about the elderly citizens being lost for a long time as much as you did. I liked the episode for it's location variety, the adventure, and the funny gags. Yes, it did borrow a bit from Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle, but it went a different direction with it. Also, even though I was surprised about the rating, I already saw the rating coming since the shelf had objects from previous ScumBob episodes, you little sneak. :lol:
- And here we have yet another controversial opinion: you liked Patrick's Coupon! To be honest, even though I predicted ScumBob (again, probably from being amongst the fandom's opinions for so long), I don't really get why everyone hates this episode so much. People say this episode "goes nowhere" or has "dumb humor", but they never actually explained or elaborated enough. Plus, I really loved this episode myself, so I'm glad that you and I can agree that this episode is Good!
- HAHAHAHA! Yep! I knew! I totally called it! You loved Out of the Picture just like I said you would! And I pretty much nailed every little bit that you liked as well! As always, I liked this episode, too!
- It was no surprise that you'd like Feral Friends, but I'm surprised that you put it that low on your Top 5 of the season. Were the Patchy and naked scenes really that bad?
- So, it turns out that you're pretty mixed on this season as a whole, which I don't blame you for since this season is incredibly polarizing. Also, I personally disagree about season 10 "not being funny", but then again, humor is subjective. It's also intriguing that you didn't say too much about season 10 being "too wacky" and such, which is kind of refreshing. And you seem to have a problem with this season's tendency to recycle plots and concepts very heavily. That being said, I think you'll find season 11 better since that season has much more new and original ideas than season 10.
- I loved that epilogue, Pieguy. :P I knew you wouldn't really quit reviewing SpongeBob episodes, but it was still a funny ending nonetheless. :lol:

Overall, I loved the review! I can't wait for you to review season 11! :D

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
Someone had to point this out: There is a huge level of irony in claiming that something doesn't matter to you, when clearly it matters enough to you to where you proceed to make several different posts about it.

jack_of_all_traids said:
Well, I just finished the video, and I can't say I agree with everything, most of this I actually disagree with, but like with every other video of the series, he did a good job explaining his reasons.
By "most of this I disagree with", I'll clarify by explaining why.

My personal ratings:
Whirlybrains: Meh
Mermaid Pants: Good
Unreal Estate: Good
Code Yellow: Good
Mimic Madness: Good
House Worming: Meh
Snooze You Lose: ScumBob
Krusty Kateing: Meh
SpongeBob's Place: Good
Plankton Gets the Boot: Good
Life Insurance: Good
Burst Your Bubble: Good
Plankton Retires: Good
Trident Trouble: Meh
The Incredible Shrinking Sponge: Good
Sportz?: Meh
The Getaway: Good
Lost and Found: Good
Patrick's Coupon: ScumBob
Out of the Picture: Good
Feral Friends: Good
Don't Wake Patrick: ScumBob

President Squidward said:
"Several" is two now? Man math has changed over the years.
I think you missed the point of the post.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I mean, it's not like Pieguyrulz didn't have any controversial opinions in the past. There were a lot of episodes that we expected him to love or hate, but wound up with the opposite.

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
By "most of this I disagree with", I'll clarify by explaining why.

My personal ratings:
Whirlybrains: Meh
Mermaid Pants: Good
Unreal Estate: Good
Code Yellow: Good
Mimic Madness: Good
House Worming: Meh
Snooze You Lose: ScumBob
Krusty Kateing: Meh
SpongeBob's Place: Good
Plankton Gets the Boot: Good
Life Insurance: Good
Burst Your Bubble: Good
Plankton Retires: Good
Trident Trouble: Meh
The Incredible Shrinking Sponge: Good
Sportz?: Meh
The Getaway: Good
Lost and Found: Good
Patrick's Coupon: ScumBob
Out of the Picture: Good
Feral Friends: Good
Don't Wake Patrick: ScumBob

I think you missed the point of the post.
I think you're missing the point that I'm being jokingly sarcastic and I think you're my missing a sense of humor with these posts.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
I agree with Amphirite and JOAT. Listen, everyone. It's okay if you hate Sportz? . I personally agree with Pieguy's opinion on that episode, but I can understand why some might not (And @Sunshine Banjo Face, if you're somehow reading this, I thank you for the long response you gave to me on SBC as to why you don't like Sportz? . I still don't agree with it and think the hate is still overblown, but I can at least see your perspective, and so I thank you for that). HOWEVER, to all of those who are whining about the rating and acting like that rating alone makes Pieguy a bad reviewer, I've got a message for you: GET OVER IT! It's not the end of the world when you find out that somebody happens to like an episode that you hate. Pieguy's allowed to have his own opinion. Why does he have to agree and go with the general consensus on Sportz? or ANY episode for that matter? I don't know about you, but if Pieguy agreed with us on almost every episode, I think that'd be quite BORING. Besides, Pieguy DID state that he almost rated Sportz a meh, and that it wasn't even close to being Top 5 material. It's also not like Pieguy insulted anyone who dislikes the episode.

I myself disagreed with several of Pieguy's opinions (his ratings for Code Yellow, Unreal Estate, Burst Your Bubble, and Lost and Found just to name a few), and you know what I did? Just sucked it up, said "That's fine, though I disagree with you", and moved on with my life. I didn't proclaim Pieguy to be a bad reviewer, nor did I mock him for his perspectives. At the end of the day, if you listened to the review carefully, he explained his reasons well enough, and whether you agree or disagreed with him, they're still just his opinions. His video won't prevent you from being able to still like or still hate any of these episodes. And devaluing him as a critic BECAUSE of a few select opinions seems VERY reactionary to me, especially since I'm sure he'll elaborate even further in the Season 10 commentary video and/or a future livestream.

Sorry if this seems like an overdramatic post, but being a grown adult, I felt the need to step up and say something. Quite a few of these comments have come off as very immature and reactionary to me, and so I decided to share my piece. If you genuinely dislike Pieguy now because of his Season 10 video, that's fine. I can't do anything to change your mind on that, nor do I want to sound like a hypocrite and simultaneously bash your opinions. But honestly, people, just step back and think. Pieguy doesn't have to agree with all of your opinions, nor was he ever expected to anyhow.

Back