Episodes and seasons that changed their reputation over time.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Over the years I feel that there are many episodes, and even seasons, which had their consensus change over time. Both positively and negatively. Here are some I've noticed. Keep in mind this is from what I've seen and is no way factual.

As far as the positives go, season 4 has gotten vastly more popular in the years, especially the first batch of episodes. When this season first came out it wasn't received well by fans, but now many people consider it a good season, some even would put it in the show's golden age.

On the other hand when season 7 first came out there were some good things said about it, however now it's often in competition with season 6 for the show's worst season due to its pacing, humor, and character problems.

Now to episodes Good Neighbors comes to mind when it comes to diminishing respect. Even the people who hated season 4 didn't really comment on this one and for the most part not many people hated it, however now it's one of the most infamous episodes of SpongeBob.

Any that you've noticed?

More

VIP
"One Coarse Meal" and "Pet Sitter Pat" were hiding without a care from anyone for years until the hatred for them completely exploded in 2014. To be honest I'm not sure why they weren't hated immediately from fans and haters, maybe it's because the episodes aired in obscurity and people were curious when there weren't new episode to distract them, idk.

SpongyMaterial

Moby Dollar
Definitely agree with season 4. People consider it to be the last of "classic SpongeBob" these days.

Season 5 used be STRONGLY hated back in the day, with people saying it's the season SpongeBob was "ruined", until about 2013 or 2014. Some people even say this season is the last of the golden age.

Season 7 used to be one of the well-received seasons with people saying it's where SpongeBob began to improve and the worst episodes weren't as hated. But now people act like it's the worst thing of all humanity and something like that since 2013. Same with season 8, but that season got more hate in 2014.

Season 9a was praised during its first run, but ever since the creator returned for 9b, quite a few people either forget these episodes or just say they're "bad" just because it was the remains of the post-movie writers...

More

VIP
Honest Slug said:
Now to episodes Good Neighbors comes to mind when it comes to diminishing respect. Even the people who hated season 4 didn't really comment on this one and for the most part not many people hated it, however now it's one of the most infamous episodes of SpongeBob.
I've kinda noticed the opposite effect. While it once was seen as a major turning point to outdated haters (and still kinda is as it was the weakest episode at the time), many are forgetting about it next to worse episodes like Choir Boys or Boating Buddies, with mention often being it's fairy underrated as it embodies some of the "classic" traits.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
More_Spandy said:
I've kinda noticed the opposite effect. While it once wass seen as a major turning point to outdated haters (and still kinda is as it was the weakest episode at the time), many are forgetting about it next to worse episodes like Choir Boys or Boating Buddies, with mention often being it's fairy underrated as it embodies some of the "classic" traits.
Well Somewhat, It's more of a drop and a bump rather than a step downward slope. It seemed to be around 5 or so years ago when the episode received the most scorn to its poor quality possibly igniting the series' downward spiral, people also probably criticized it more due to it being an episode they remember. Now I agree that after more episodes like Choir Boys, Smoothe Jazz at Bikini Bottom, and Squid Baby no one really hates it as much due to finding more modern installments. However Is till think it should be noted since it wasn't even criticized much during season 4's lowest point in popularity. I actually saw more criticisms directed towards Dunces and Dragons and Fear of a Krabby Patty, episodes people love now.

SpongeSquareBobPants

Imitation Krab
Well there seems to be a lot more people willing to admit they liked Good Neighbors, if that counts for anything.

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
Season 4 was once considered the downfall of Spongebob. This wasn't actually the truth. It all went downhill starting at Season 6 and slowly climbed back up when Hello Bikini Bottom came out.

BobCarotte

meep
I remember when everyone used to hate LYB, but now they don't even care about it.

RobotKrabs

Your Lord and Savior
I'm guessing "I'm with Stupid" wasn't a hated episode until Mr. Enter brought it up, same with Sand Castle in the Sand, as in people used to not care about it until he made a positive review of the episode.

Season 4 definitely changed reputation alright. I'm starting to see people including it in the golden era of Spongebob. Heck, some people even thought the new writers didn't come until season 5. =P

Ol Bold and Brash

Hu Tao stan
Choir Boys and Truth or Square where more loved before and they where even considered one of the best S6 episodes but around 2013 they both got a lot of hatred and they are usually considered one of the worst S6 episodes

Penny Foolish and Battle of Bikini Bottom where one of the most hated episodes on most websites (especially TV.com) but the hatred has quiet down for both

Atlantis Squarepantis did got a bad reputation at the time it aired but it got worse around 2012 but now the hate seems to quiet down

SpongyMaterial said:
Same with season 8, but that season got more hate in 2014.
Season 9a was praised during its first run, but ever since the creator returned for 9b, quite a few people either forget these episodes or just say they're "bad" just because it was the remains of the post-movie writers...
Season 8 reputation is still the same as Season 5 but it's getting more hate probably because of Mr Enter

And as for S9a Yeah I even made a topic about the disliking of S9a
http://www.sbmania.net/forums/topic/52333-why-is-season-9a-getting-some-hate/?view=findpost&p=1056698&hl=%2Bwhy+%2Bpeople+%2Bhate

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Dear Vikings used to be one of the most infamous episodes (and the fact that an episode so hated by the fans at the time was nominated for an Emmy made it even funnier) but I can't remember the last time I heard anybody complain about it. I guess people have just moved on to hating even worse episodes that came later. I miss the days when Dear Vikings was the worst episode. :P

With regards to seasons in general, people are definitely kinder to some of the early post-movie seasons like 4 and 5 than they were when they were newer.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
I don't see Truth or Square,One Course Meal, Atlantis Squarepantis and A Pal for Gary getting as much hate now.

Piston Patrick

Slam Lord
Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, So
MoBros had power. Early.
He lost it for......... Reasons....(cough cough canceled cough cough deleted)
He set the Alantis SQUIDWARD era.
Before that pie guy started the splinter era.
After them both mr enter, and pie guy is making a comeback as we speak
Mr enter
Pie guy
They control now.
It influences.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
Season 1: General consensus is that this season is either the best and most pleasant to watch, or that it's slow and it pales in comparision to the rest of the series. It's typical for a show that goes on for at least 3 or 4 seasons to have fans who can't stand to go back and watch the earlier episodes again due to how much has changed (cough cough, Simpsons, cough cough)
Season 2: It's usually either this or Season 3 that's seen as the pinnacle of the series, but there's generally more people who see this as such. It's not hard to see why.
Season 3: I'm starting to see people who are starting to become a little more mixed with this season, especially the back half, saying that it was when the show started to get a bit more tired and weary after an impressive first 2 1/2 seasons. Nonetheless, it's still considered part of the golden age.
Season 4: Used to be disliked, but people are starting to be more positive about it, and even calling it one of their favourites.
Season 5: This was the point in which professional critics were starting to see the series go downhill (just read the DVD Reviews for WhoBob WhatPants), but you'll still see people (like me) defend this season.
Season 6: It's been one of the most hated seasons since it first premiered.
Season 7: Used to be mixed, but people eventually despised it to the core.
Season 8: This season has been quite the rollercoaster. Back when it aired, it was seen as average. Now you have people that eother love it or hate it. There's practically no consensus with this season!
Season 9a: Generally the same as Season 8, but with less haters.
Season 9b: Not enough time has passed for there to be a "then and now", but so far, both professional critical AND fan reception has been very positive.
The Movies: There was a brief point where the first one was disliked, but nostalgia soon kicked in. As for the second one, it's not as good as the first one, but it's still a great movie.

SpongeBob And Patrick

I hate Wednesdays!
Rochester, New York State, The United States Of Am
None that I've really noticed! :P

EmployeeAMillion said:
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Sponge Out Of Water- There was a brief point where The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie was disliked, but nostalgia soon kicked in. As for The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Sponge Out Of Water, it's not as good as The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, but it's still an awesome movie.
Where have you been? :P Also, The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie: Sponge Out Of Water is exactly as good as The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie! :P

PinkPearl

insert title here
People used to love Band Geeks, then when it got really popular people began to say it was overrated.

Back