Eels & Escalators: How does it work?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
At first glace we might assume that "Eels & Escalators" is simply a sub-aquatic take on the classic "Snakes & Ladders". But this is not the case at all. Let's take a closer look at the game board.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=CziwLV%2FKamQetKiyCj%2FXi%2FODjOMHXvZsUDmWUn5ON84%3D

It seems simple enough. There's a start square, a finish square, a path between those two points and a series of eels and escalators. This is where the shenanigans begin. In a typical game of Snakes & Ladders, landing on a ladder is a positive move and takes you closer to the finish line. Snakes have the opposite effect. In Eels & Escalators, however, one of the escalators actually impedes your progress and one of the eels takes you to the square adjacent to the finish line.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=NWaJTQx4cBCUcIRzgDwF0XB%2BEj5v41BRUycR7JXPVp8%3D

Then there's the dice. Given that the object of the game is to travel along a path, you'd expect the dice to be numbered, right? Wrong. In Eels & Escalators, both dice feature pictures of eels and escalators. Roll two eels, you ride the eel. Roll two escalators, you ride the escalator. Roll one of each, you sit there wondering what the heck you are supposed to do and why the game even comes with two dice when your eel/escalator fate could be much more easily decided with a single die. The main path through the middle of the board is completely useless, by the way, since without a numbered die you have no means of navigating it.

http://www.sbmania.net/pictures.php?img=3N%2BwoJ9j4ptWLL2vH9NYakyTGSqL6aXoXWzo8zv5tRo%3D

Provided you don't roll any unmatching pairs, you might get lucky and ride three escalators in a row. Unfortunately, none of the escalators take you to the finish square so this does not constitute a win, but it's the closest you're going to get. From that point on you have no choice but to continue rolling the dice until you ride every single eel, finishing with the "You Lose!" eel. That's right - there's a losing space and the only way to end the game is for all players to land on it.

In conclusion, Eels & Escalators may be one of the most sadistic board games in existence and fully justifies SpongeBob's use of Bad Word #11.

abney317

Abney=last name
Staff
I remember I was gonna try to remake it once.. but I had no idea how they were playing a game with that board and I gave up.
You should put your post on the main site :p

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I see what you mean about the eel that leads you to the finish space. Now that you mention it, it seems more like an unintentional shortcut. I don't know what to say about the dice, though.

Wow... that has got to be the most messed up board game ever. Had that game actually existed in real life and I played it, I would have used #11 like SB did also.

Purdy

::dolphin noise::
I wanna play this game. I'm gonna try to make it by buying bunch of stuff at a thrift shop. Like an old monopoly board and some dice, and some toy stairs and stuff like that.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
Here's my take on the game

- If the dice land on escalators, you go to the nearest escalator, the same applies for eels
- Get 4 eels in a row, and you automatically lose
- If the left die lands on escalator, and the right lands on eels, that counts as escalators
- If the left die lands on eels, and the right lands on escalator, that counts as eels

Okay, now you've gone up 3 stairs in a row (or have at least passed the final set of stairs), then there's the finish line

- If the dice land on escalators, you go to the finish line
- If the dice land on eels, either you automatically lose, or have to go back to the start of the game

bookgirl

Read a book
I guess the writers and or animators didn't really think hard about this game. Or maybe they were like "We need an excuse for Spongebob to get angry so lets make this game hard and confusing to look at"

Cha

I love SBM
ESCALATORS!
I always thought the escalator part of the game was messed up.

Back