Edmund's top 20

EdmundTheDevil

Imitation Krab
Feeling nice so I won't keep you guys waiting any longer. So in my opinion the number 1 best Spongebob Squarepants episode of all time is.

0.png

Sleepy Time. Here is in my opinion the most underrated episode of Spongebob and one of my favorite episodes in cartoon history. During my rewatch of season 1 I loved it but after a second time I absolutely fell in love with this masterpeice and heres why. This episode has an extremely interesting concept. I personally am fascinated with dreaming similar to Sandy's Rocket and space so this episode appealed to me right from the start. First of all lets talk about this episodes air date. January 17th 2000 the first episode of the new millennium and that's where the first of it's kind came from. This episode began Spongebob in the 2000's in the most perfect way imaginable.
spongebob - Sleepy Time

The story is of Spongebob who is dreaming during his dream falls out of his dream and is now able to travel to the dreams of his friends.

I absolutely adore this concept and it is just really engaging and interesting, just seeing what his friends think about in their dreams is fanominal and we still have them all to come. Spongebob's dream is up first and its great. The Krabby Patty landscape looks really great and also that music, Happy End is one of my favorite music tracks in the show and the fact it only plays in this episode just makes it feel even more special, Spongebob starts to drive and then his nose grows which is just oddly amusing to look at and then gets his driver license, "Darn I should of grown a mustache" another one of my favorite lines in the show, he then crashes his boat and falls out, Mrs Puff then makes a cameo and I find it very funny how she just rips up his license and that "Nooooooo" scream always made me laugh, then he falls out of his dream which is where the plot starts evolving. He notices Gary has a dream cloud and decides to hop in, he then sees Gary dreams of being incredibly smart which is a very unique touch but I think suits Gary's character very well, Gary tells Spongebob off for intruding his dreams but Spongebob is too fascinated by Gary being able to speak to listen. Gary shows him all around the library and tells him some very wise words. Our little yellow friend hasn't a clue what it means so we get one of my favorite quotes of the show. "There once was a man from peru, who dreamed he was eating his show, he woke with a fright in the middle of the night to found his dream had come true" an extremely funny line and one of the many hilarious moments this episode has going for it. Spongebob decides to leave and once he does he changes his mind about going back to bed and instead then decides to visit Patrick's dream.

spongebob - Sleepy Time

We all remember Patrick's dream and I really like how simple it is. It shows Patrick is just dreaming of enjoying himself and doing something he likes. Spongebob tries to convince him that he can do anything he could ever want but Patrick really doesn't care about it and instead just wants to enjoy himself. Spongebob has some funny moments here with the sky scraper and the million clones and Patrick's just don't care attitude is honestly really funny. Spongebob leaves and Patrick after his ride stops goes to put in his last quarter, I always found it really funny how they hold just for a few seconds of him just staying there I always laugh a lot at that moment. While heading back Spongebob visits Squidward's dream

Squidward's dream is interesting as it is really the only one that represents a nightmare. He finally got his chance to perform his music but it is before a king who will cut his head off if he isn't impressed. Spongebob visits and disrupts the performance. I really like the king his voice is just funny which in turn at least to me makes everything he says pretty funny, even if it just simple words "I have not told you to stop, now play" Squidward out of frustration breaks his clarinet and then Spongebob steps in to play for him. The Spongebob music I feel would be hit or miss for some but I really find it funny mainly because Squidward is performing for a audience who likely are into classical music. I always think that the reason they enjoyed Squidward's clarinet is because they will listen to anything and to me that is why they like Spongebob's noise. Just a weird theory I always had with this one. Next up Sandy's dream.

spongebob - Sleepy Time

Sandy's dream was always my favorite., It was always the most entertaining despite being probably the most simple. They are free falling from 15000 feet and have to hit a target. What follows are some of the most hilarious bad puns ever. Parachute becomes a "Parashoes" "Paratinie" and "Paramedic" It may only be a short dream but it is extremely amusing. It's also interesting Sandy dreams about extreme stunts which while not the first instance of her and sports. Karate Choppers, Ripped Pants, Musclebob Buffpants and Tea At The Treedome all aired before this which all show her love of sports and exercise but I feel here it shows an evolution from weight training and karate to stunts and I honestly like the more extreme side of Sandy. Overall I love this dream despite how short it is. short and sweet.

Mr Krabs and Pearl's dream are also very good. Pearl comes first and doesn't laugh for very long but just the situation makes me smile. A magical land with a teddy bear party, once again in character for Pearl and although no real jokes still just a funny situation. Also Spongebob's confused "Mr Krabs" always made me laugh, mainly because he believed Mr Krabs would even dream of this stuff.

For the record Mr Krabs does look very good with a moustache. Krabs is sailing among the seas and trying to get "The mighty Moby Dollar" funny play on words to Moby Dick. Pennies start spraying and Spongebob celebrates, then Krabs tells Spongebob to get the money net. The money net being a wallet despite being pretty obvious is pretty funny to me, also I said this but god damn Krabs with a
mustache looks weirdly awesome. However Spongebob becomes careless and lets go off the net causing it too escape. Spongebob's worried face along with Mr Krabs blank stare cracks me up. Soon we come to the final dream Plankton's dream.

Plankton's dream also represents a nightmare but only to the other characters, to Plankton this is a good dream. He is destroying Bikini Bottom and eventually sees Gary and is about to step on him. I like Spongebob's caring side here and how he is going to risk his life just too save Gary. It shows how much he really does care about him and you do love to see moments like that. "I think he gets the points" this episode has many bad puns that are just funny, there so dumb but so funny. He then leaves and goes back home to his own dream. Also quick note I think this is one of the only times Karen appears in a desktop form

spongebob - Sleepy Time

Just a very neat touch. Finally Spongebob returns home and eventually in his dream cloud is being surrounded by heads of his friends which wakes him up to, everyone in their pajamas pretty angry with him. It ends on a very funny joke by Patrick, "does anyone have a quarter" his face after it as well is great.

This episode is a masterpiece and is honestly one of my favorite
pieces of TV ever. All the jokes, characters, animation, music is on top ball. The animation is supreme, it was the last season 1 episode to be completed which explains its look. So many different places. A Krabby Patty wonderland, a blank void, a concert hall, the sky, a pink unicorn land, the seas and then Bikini Bottom in a apocalyptic kind of landscape. The background music is great, Happy End is a fantastic track and like I said having it only in this episode just makes it feel more special. Every character is in character and all the dreams represent their characters perfectly.

I would like to thank everyone who read this top 20 and guessed hints and all that. I have 2 lists ready, top 9 worst pre movie episodes and top 20 worst Spongebob episodes. Please comment which list you want first and let me know what your favorite episode of Spongebob is. Adios

Attachments

• 1589126876831.jpg
    1589126876831.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I told you I'd feel dumb when it was revealed! Sleepy Time makes sense with the hints we were given. Reading this review, I'll be honest, I never thought of Sleepy Time as ranking this high on anyone's list, but looking back on it, I can see why you like it so much. Personally it wouldn't really be near the top of mine, even though it's a great episode. What's funny about this episode is I just finished playing the DS version of Creature From the Krusty Krab, which has parallels to this episode with the whole dream thing, specifically Plankton's dream being the same.

The guessing was fun! I hope that with your next lists you keep it up, because I really enjoyed doing it, even if I didn't get many of them right.

I think top 20 worst SpongeBob episodes would be the better list to do first.

I've said this before but since you specifically asked this time, my favorite SpongeBob episode is Krusty Krab Training Video, followed by Can You Spare a Dime.

Can't wait to read your next list, this one was good and I liked your reviews for each of the episodes, even when I didn't agree on some of them.

EdmundTheDevil

Imitation Krab
I told you I'd feel dumb when it was revealed! Sleepy Time makes sense with the hints we were given. Reading this review, I'll be honest, I never thought of Sleepy Time as ranking this high on anyone's list, but looking back on it, I can see why you like it so much. Personally it wouldn't really be near the top of mine, even though it's a great episode. What's funny about this episode is I just finished playing the DS version of Creature From the Krusty Krab, which has parallels to this episode with the whole dream thing, specifically Plankton's dream being the same.

The guessing was fun! I hope that with your next lists you keep it up, because I really enjoyed doing it, even if I didn't get many of them right.

I think top 20 worst SpongeBob episodes would be the better list to do first.

I've said this before but since you specifically asked this time, my favorite SpongeBob episode is Krusty Krab Training Video, followed by Can You Spare a Dime.

Can't wait to read your next list, this one was good and I liked your reviews for each of the episodes, even when I didn't agree on some of them.
Will keep the hints with every list I do, just makes it more fun about to post bottom 20 worst will be interesting picks for my least favorites same with this I suppose

Spongey34

Dafano
Staff
Well done - enjoyable discussions, a very strong list, and a unique #1 (in a good way)!

My number 1 is, well, should we all do a list now?

Back