Doomsday Clock has ticked to 2.5 minutes until midnight

sbl

totally active
Atomic scientists reset their symbolic "Doomsday Clock" to its closest time to midnight in 64 years on Thursday, saying the world was closer to catastrophe due to threats such as nuclear weapons, climate change and Donald Trump's election as U.S. president.

The timepiece, devised by the Chicago-based Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists and displayed on its website, is widely viewed as an indicator of the world's vulnerability to disaster.

Its hands were moved to two minutes and 30 seconds to midnight, from three minutes.

"The Doomsday Clock is closer to midnight than it's ever been in the lifetime of almost everyone in this room," Lawrence Krauss, the bulletin's chair, told a news conference in Washington.

The clock was last set this close to midnight in 1953, marking the start of the nuclear arms race between the United States and the Soviet Union. Thursday's reset was the first since 2015.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-doomsdayclock-idUSKBN15A2JJ?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=588a87a804d301465863aaa9&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
Goodbye everyone, i'll remember you all in therapy.

Katniss

totally coral
I wouldn't take this too seriously. Nobody's been able to accurately predict the end of the world and I don't see this being any different. I think this is just trying to scare people.

Alex Squarepants

angrier than ever
This is totally gonna happen. We're all gonna die!!!! I will miss all of you :cry: :cry: :cry:

The Navy

Banished
The Doomsday clock is basically a board of scientists who study recent political events and set a theoretical clock towards midnight, representing global catastrophe. It's been around for decades.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this, and a lot of what they mentioned like biological warfare is still not real yet.

Also me likey Trump.

Mavaxis Starburner

I love SBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbRHY1l0vc

Ironically, I'm making a more valuable post than the OP just by posting a song.

Leedles

Leedle
I don't think it's fake. It's just a prediction. They're not saying the world will indefinitely end, but they're making an educated prediction based on nuclear threats, data, etc.

Flabby Patty

Flabby Patty > Krusty Krab
Honestly, I would say this is quite biased; the reactions would probably prove the Doomsday Clock anyhow.

Yes, I do like the guy, but take his promises with a grain of salt whoever you are.

Back