Does the cartoon exist within SpongeBob's own universe?

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I've sometimes wondered whether or not the SpongeBob TV series could exist in the show's own universe. There's no sold evidence, but these things made me wonder....

Patchy the Pirate: The biggest clue. He's a hardcore SpongeBob fan who's president of the SpongeBob fan club. However, he's sent party invitations to SpongeBob, which he has been shown to have actually received it. Also, when Patchy and Potty were arguing about whether or not SpongeBob thought prehistoric stuff was cool, SpongeBob could sense that "the parrot was winning"

"SpongeBob" Baby: The infamous scene in Sponge Out Of Water. This baby inexplicably recognises SpongeBob instantly and calls him by name. How else would be have recognised SpongeBob besides seeing him on TV?

The Seagulls: Not only do they know all about the characters and can sing the whole theme song, one seagull was even shown to be wearing SpongeBob underwear

David Hasselhoff: Not exactly evidence, but I think it's worth noting as I find it peculiar since he was aware of Bikini Bottom and its exact location

What are your thoughts on this?

Popeyes Haunted Barnacles

Sir Tweets and Eats a Lot
That'd be funny if everyone on SpongeBob was just an actor and they had cameras rolling everywhere and took breaks on set underwater like on a sitcom, implying that it's not real. I know it's been done on other shows though.

Cha

I love SBM
Somehow the show exists AND Patchy/pirates. I guess it's all in the same universe, not like ours because we don't have actual talking critters or pirates these days. I wouldn't consider it too canon, as they usually never make a big deal of it. Then again, Nick Studios exist in their world. (Truth or Square and Mooncation.) I really like the idea of no one knowing they're from a TV show though.

Popeye Q. Krabs said:
That'd be funny if everyone on SpongeBob was just an actor and they had cameras rolling everywhere and took breaks on set underwater like on a sitcom, implying that it's not real. I know it's been done on other shows though.
That was a joke in Employee of the Month (PC).

Supmandude

Squog
SpongeBob exists in our universe, but only people crazy enough to believe that know it.

SBRoxMan said:
"SpongeBob" Baby: The infamous scene in Sponge Out Of Water. This baby inexplicably recognises SpongeBob instantly and calls him by name. How else would be have recognised SpongeBob besides seeing him on TV?
Because it's a baby version of Steve Hillenburg who went to the future to see a CG version of his creation defeat a pirate. ;)

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I think there are several layers.
  • The real world that we are living in right now, where both SpongeBob SquarePants and Patchy are fictional.
  • The fictional world in which Patchy lives which is almost identical to ours apart from Patchy being a real guy. SpongeBob is still fictional, hence the trips to Nick Animation, Patchy watching the show on TV and the golden rule that SpongeBob and Patchy can never meet. Apparent exceptions to this can be explained as gags.
  • The main SpongeBob world, which is basically everything excluding Patchy segments. So even the humans shown in the middle of episodes, such as the fishermen or artist at sea, are fictional even to Patchy.
  • The movies are more confusing to try and explain. The first movie is simple enough - the pirates could feasibly live in the same reality as Patchy. With the second movie ... it's too early in the morning for me to think about.

Professor Patrick

"Why must every 11 minutes of my life be filled wi
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGF5e3OjNc

And what about this? Skip to 0:09. You can clearly see Squidward knocking down cameras.

The Drifter

Some person.
That Square Guy said:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dLGF5e3OjNc

And what about this? Skip to 0:09. You can clearly see Squidward knocking down cameras.
That doesn't count, it's a promo.

Missplayer30

Imitation Krab
The Drifter said:
In their universe "SpongeBob Squarepants" is a nature documentary narrated by some British dude.
LOL, sounds like a headcanon I made. In real-life, a french marine biologist maybe Jacques Cousteau is filming and narrating stuffs about the life of marine creatures, and SpongeBob happens to be his main and favorite subject. And since the documentaries (episodes) about him are extremely popular, he just made unknowingly a fanbase for himself all around the world which include Patchy, the pirates from the first movie and even the baby from the second one.
And the movie itself happens to be a lost and perhaps his last documentary about the sponge.

Supmandude said:
SpongeBob exists in our universe, but only people crazy enough to believe that know it.

Because it's a baby version of Steve Hillenburg who went to the future to see a CG version of his creation defeat a pirate. ;)
Maybe the baby has seen some strange characters on a bike that will eventually become his own creation and then he made the second movie about how he met his inspirations at one point during his childhood and why, by his own interpretation, they actually went on land. xD

The Drifter

Some person.
Missplayer30 said:
LOL, sounds like a headcanon I made. In real-life, a french marine biologist maybe Jacques Cousteau is filming and narrating stuffs about the life of marine creatures, and SpongeBob happens to be his main and favorite subject. And since the documentaries (episodes) about him are extremely popular, he just made unknowingly a fanbase for himself all around the world which include Patchy, the pirates from the first movie and even the baby from the second one.
And the movie itself happens to be a lost and perhaps his last documentary about the sponge. xD
The reason we stop hearing the French narrator is because SpongeBob really did killed him in No Free Rides.

Back