Does SpongeBob SquarePants TRULY take place underwater?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I have been wondering this for years

If the show truly took place underwater, why don't the characters swim?

Other underwater-based cartoons like Nick Jr's Bubble Guppies, PBS Kids' Splash & Bubbles, and Disney Junior's Octonauts all have the characters swimming like they should in that type of environment

SpongeBob SquarePants is the ONLY cartoon where they don't do this

Why?

BrendaMarzipan

Imitation Krab
  1. They're all bipedal and no known aquatic animals are bipedal, not to mention the characters that would be bipedal in real life like Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy, Man Ray, Kenny The Cat, etc.
  2. They seem to experience gravity in a similar way to us humans, even though the density of the water would never allow such thing.
  3. FIRE UNDERWATER
  4. FIRE UNDERWATER
  5. FIRE UNDERWATER

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
It’d be annoying to make the characters hover around all the time.

Also, what do you mean are they TRULY under water? Did you not watch the second movie? 😂

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
^such as?
1572574359256.gif
Swimming: “The sport or activity of propelling oneself through water using the limbs.” - Google Dictionary. Clearly he [SpongeBob] has to be floating through SOMETHING.

1572574685629.jpeg
The entire plot of “Tea at the Treedome” revolved around SpongeBob learning how much different air was from the WATER that he is surrounded by daily.

And if SpongeBob and friends do not reside under the water, than explain what the dirty barnacles is going on in THESE photos below:
1572574946382.png
1572575023141.jpeg

If they’re not underwater, then any plot depicting them being “on land” as unusual or adventurous shouldn’t even make sense, let alone be a thing.
1572574804953.png

You’ve gotta be freaking kidding me, dude. “Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...?” It’s self-explanatory. This ludicrous “theory” of yours doesn’t hold a candle to the theories that actually have meat. This one was pure laughable, I’m sorry.

Last edited:

SploderEnigma

Floating Shopping List
Sure, they're based on marine animals, but sometimes I forget it's underwater lol

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
The bubbles and coral scenery don’t let me forget, but I agree, the thought of them being underwater doesn’t often cross my mind, especially during the later seasons where underwater references fly out the window, and the show adapts a more modern, on land-ish atmosphere.

Back