Does SpongeBob need to be in EVERY episode?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
While the show is called "SpongeBob SquarePants", I think that there are times that a no-SpongeBob episode can work. You could cut SpongeBob out of Mall Girl Pearl and it wouldn't change, and even if it did, it wouldn't by a whole lot. And heck, you can cut out some of SpongeBob's bits in New Leaf and it would'nt really change that much. It can be just as funny and just as consistent.
Exactly, those sorts of episodes where another character (or group of characters) take the spotlight are interesting to watch because SpongeBob doesn't take centre stage.

Personally, I think it has something to do with Nickelodeon and how they treat the character. They feel as though if a 6 year old is watching his first SpongeBob episode and it just so happens to be one of the few episodes where SpongeBob doesn't appear at all, that boy would be confused and very disappointed, which is why they make sure SpongeBob appears in every episode in some capacity. I don't mind this, but I just wish there was a more optimistic way of explaining it. After all, this is Nickelodeon, perhaps the company which has made the least-optimistic decisions and practises in the history of TV.

SperngeyBerb

Banished
"Personally, I think it has something to do with Nickelodeon and how they treat the character. They feel as though if a 6 year old is watching his first SpongeBob episode and it just so happens to be one of the few episodes where SpongeBob doesn't appear at all, that boy would be confused and very disappointed, which is why they make sure SpongeBob appears in every episode in some capacity. I don't mind this, but I just wish there was a more optimistic way of explaining it. After all, this is Nickelodeon, perhaps the company which has made the least-optimistic decisions and practises in the history of TV."

Yeah, I agree with ya. Same with The Simpsons. Homer appears and speaks in every single episode.

Illiniguy34

That Reviewing Guy
Honestly, no. Then again, not every episode is focused on him (such as the ones you mentioned). If the show's only focus was on Spongebob, it would've gotten immensely stale.

BabySmitty

Porous Freak
...you know what? I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO!

Spongebob is a fantastic example of an ensemble comedy. The main character is INCREDIBLY likable and endearing, but the entire cast is populated by characters who are also likable and endearing.

We've had episodes where Spongebob isn't the main character (Band Geeks, The Algae's Always Greener, Squid's Day Off.) So supposedly, there COULD be an episode done without him being in it.

It would actually be interesting to see an episode without the titular character.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
Personally I prefer him to be since he's my favourite character and the reason I like the show in the first place. Even though Plankton's Army is a pre-movie episode I've probably only watched it once or twice. Episodes where he isn't the focus are fine but I like him to at least be around.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I'm on the fence. Mall Girl Pearl is probably the smallest role of SpongeBob we're going to get as far as I'm concerned. But he didn't impact anything on the episode at all aside from comic relief, so I guess he doesn't have to be in every episode, but considering he's appeared in every single one of the 300+ segments, it would be pretty odd if it did happen.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
No, you can have great episodes focusing on other characters and expanding them. Arthur does this perfectly.

Growlie

Best Boy
Heck I'd be happy with more Squidward episodes, like Squid Plus One which has a funny, kinda out there ending where nothing bad happens to him.
Definitely
Hey, if one day, we Knew SpongeBob was going away for good, SpongeBuddy Mania All need need to rally for a Squidward and Squilliam rivalry history special.

BeanoSponge

Pokemon Sun and Moon HYPE!
Growlie said:
Heck I'd be happy with more Squidward episodes, like Squid Plus One which has a funny, kinda out there ending where nothing bad happens to him.

Hey, if one day, we Knew SpongeBob was going away for good, SpongeBuddy Mania All need need to rally for a Squidward and Squilliam rivalry history special.
That would certainly be an interesting episode.

mythix super saiyan 4

the only good parts of sbm are the skins and tradi
Growlie said:

i suppose

Back