Show News Do you Think SpongeBob is Good or Bad at Karate?

SpongeySquare

Imitation Krab
Besides Karate Choppers, it seems like Sponge is mostly bad at karate. In No Weenies Allowed, he kicks a paper bag for it to be totally unaffected. In The Way of the Sponge, we know he doesn't have a belt, while Squidward already had earned the 'belt of basic competence' by that point. Speaking of which, in Squid Defence, SpongeBob fails at chopping something and says to Squidward "that's all I've got [...] I've only been training for a couple years".

However, while not karate, there was that cool scene where Sponge does the kung fu mop cleaning. Also, he defeated medieval Sandy with a karate chop. I think his chopping is great, but his other moves are lacking. His karate moves are more like a goofball's in Tea at the Treedome, Texas, and Christmas Who.

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
I think it depends on the situation. He is great at SB-129 but awful at Karate Island. He's not the best but he doesn't seem like the worst.

SpongeySquare

Imitation Krab
I think it depends on the situation. He is great at SB-129 but awful at Karate Island. He's not the best but he doesn't seem like the worst.
When is there any karate in SB-129? Also, the situation in Karate Choppers is essentially Sandy and Sponge play-fighting. If it depended on the situation he'd be better.

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
Sometimes good sometimes bad
I agree with that. I think that we should not think about that because it's episodic series with out any logic. and a lot of unreasonable moments. For exapmle, in Friend or Foe we see that Mr Krabs and Plankton created the formula. However, in Enemy in Law Mr Krabs said the formula is inherited in his family. So which one is the true? We will never know.

MPack

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I think he might need some more practice because he has shown his best in earlier episodes. But in "The Way of the Sponge", his karate skills aren't that good, but at least he was being instructed by Fuzzy Acorns, so I guess that gives him a reason.

SpongeySquare

Imitation Krab
I think he might need some more practice because he has shown his best in earlier episodes. But in "The Way of the Sponge", his karate skills aren't that good, but at least he was being instructed by Fuzzy Acorns, so I guess that gives him a reason.
Sandy is also a master of karate so SpongeBob has reasons to go to Sandy's treedome and train. However, it seems as simple as the dude isn't cut out to be a fighter. We've only seen combat prowess from him in Karate Choppers and maybe Dunces and Dragons (although the latter is definitely not canon), and everything else that there might possibly be is either incidental or a gag (I haven't seen too many new episodes). I personally like the idea of Sponge being bad at karate. Even if it's just for self-defense, I just don't see him as a fighter in any shape or form. Remember Extreme Spots? He was defeated by a pillow.

Back