Do memes play a role in SpongeBob's continuing dominance?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
I think a big thing helping to keep this show alive are memes

People tweet and re-tweet SBSP memes which keeps the series in the spotlight

But...I wonder if when Spongebob Squarepants eventually ends, will people still be making memes as a way to keep it alive in the hearts of the fans?

My other question is:

Would SpongeBob still be as relevant without memes?

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
If SpongeBob ends, I do think people will still make memes. This show has so many memes, it's still going to be relevant when/if it ends.

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
At this point, memes are an essential part of the show’s popularity and influence on younger generations. If SpongeBob eventually ends, internet dwellers will still literally have thousands of jokes to spread, remix and recontextualise. I don’t think the memes are going to die while SpongeBob’s still on the air, because its continued existence will remind people of why they love it- the comedy.

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
Yeah, If the show didn't have that huge bulk of media influence, it wouldn't have the same relevance as it does today.

YouDontKnowSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
If it ever ends (cause all shows will end one day), Nick would keep the show alive by showing reruns cause they can't afford to lose SpongeBob unless they manage to make a another popular enough show like how the Loud House replaced FOP (even though I hate the Loud House).

Back