Disney vs. Nick: Who Copied Whom?

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
OK, now I know this is a board about a NICKELODEON show, but I can't help but remark that Disney Channel and Nick seem to air the same type of shows with the same type of story lines. To me, Naked Bros. is just Hannah Montana in male form and now, H-M and iCarly are competing against eachother on the merchandising front.

Which network's shows do you prefer? (see first sentence for disclaimer)

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Well, I must admit, SB and iCarly are the only shows I really watch on Nickelodeon **ducks**, so I uually end up watching DC more **ducks**, and, if you ask me, it's Nick that keeps copying DC **ducks**. I mean, what about Spectacular? That was obviously supposed to be a Nick version of High School Musical. **ducks**

sb1fan

Ohmygodimonfire.
Nickelodeon definitely copied Disney Channel.

Let's face it: both channels are doing extremely well, thanks to the Youtube generation. On Disney Channel, instead of getting family-friendly shows about tales kids can relate to, we now have sitcoms with canned laughing and ridiculous plots (a girl with secret pop life, two twins living in a hotel, a family of wizards, a black dude living in the White House...OH WAIT A SECOND!).

On Nickelodeon, we used to have funny and original cartoons that everyone could enjoy, now not only do we have dull yet easily profitable cartoons (Madagascar, I'm looking at you), we also have more sitcoms with even more canned laughing and ridiculous plots (an average tweenaged girl who's the host of a famous internet show around the world, that girl from Akeelah and the Bee becoming the VP of some fashion line thingamabob, and it's not a sitcom but, a mockumentary about some kid band that seriously, seriously, SERIOUSLY isn't that great).

Well, I should just cut to the chase. Disney Channel has been able to profit so much from one thing: music. High School Musical, Camp Rock, Hannah Montana. 7-year old girls go crazy for these things. Also, have you noticed that pretty much EVERYONE who acts on Disney Channel sings? Even Mitchel Musso sings. Yeah, if Shia LaBeouf was part of this Disney Channel era, he'd be singing his face off, too. All that Disney Channel does it make their actors / actresses be taken more seriously as a celebrity more than they actually are (Does the name Brian Stepanek ring a bell to you? ...I didn't think so.).

Then Nickelodeon thought, "That's easy." So, they invented iCarly, made all of their stars become "superstars", got Miranda Cosgrove to siiiiiiiiiing, and create even more music with shiznit like Spectacular! and many more to come. Proabably. So it's practically a fact that Nickelodeon bases their current success on the success of Disney.

Now if Cartoon Network entered the fray, where do I begin? >_<

The Dark Knight

Fashionabluh
Now if Cartoon Network entered the fray, where do I begin? >_<

Probably with the fact that almost all the new shows this summer are FRIKKIN NON-CARTOON. SERIOUSLY FOLKS. IT'S CALLED CARTOON NETWORK FOR AN :8888: REASON!!!

Arkei

Porous Freak
They're both awful now anyway. Well, except for Spongebob, but that's going downhill too.

Spongefifi

Derpina
I personally prefer Nickelodeon, specially because I've been watching it ever since I learned how to use the remote <_< (I'm dead serious, tho) As for Disney Channel, I didn't have it until I was a freshman or something, and I watched it here and there, but about 2 years ago I started to grow out of it, most of their shows doesn't appeal to me anymore, while I watch pretty much every show airing on Nick, (NBB may be the only one I don't watch) As for the copying thing, they both do it. Nick copies DC's live action shows, and DC tries to copy Nick's cartoon shows. Now, who's better at copying whom? It's all a matter of opinions. Pheneas and Ferb is not too bad, but is it classic-Nicktoon good? Doubt it.

Airedale Lady

I am a ghost. Fear me.
"Camp Rock" was just a sad-sack attempt to copy the HSM phenomenon, IMO. When Disney Channel first came on the air, it was great because they showed all the old cartoons from the 30's to the 60's as well as the Disney movies (which were not yet out on video). They still did the "Original Movie" thing, but somehow, the movies were much better and of higher quality. If Disney channel would do what Nick has done (3 separate channels-Nick, Nick 2 Nicktoons and Nick TV land) then maybe it could do better in the competition.

PhilipB

Sussudio Enthusiast
"Camp Rock" was just a sad-sack attempt to copy the HSM phenomenon, IMO. When Disney Channel first came on the air, it was great because they showed all the old cartoons from the 30's to the 60's as well as the Disney movies (which were not yet out on video). They still did the "Original Movie" thing, but somehow, the movies were much better and of higher quality. If Disney channel would do what Nick has done (3 separate channels-Nick, Nick 2 Nicktoons and Nick TV land) then maybe it could do better in the competition.
I'm not an American, but if I recall correctly Nick 2 was just a timeshift of Nick for the eastern time zone?

SpOnGeFaN818

Wumbologist
If anything copied the Disney Channel Music stuff, it was the Naked Brothers Band and Spectacular. We NEED good new shows.

patrick2403

Friends
I tend to like Nick shows better but I have to say I think they copied Disney. Also, for the record I think Hannah Montana and Naked Brothers are both pretty bad shows.

Spongefifi

Derpina
I tend to like Nick shows better but I have to say I think they copied Disney. Also, for the record I think Hannah Montana and Naked Brothers are both pretty bad shows.
Amen to that. Only difference is that DC is sucking up all the money they possibly can out of Hannah Montana, unlike Nick to NBB, then there's SpongeBob, Nick's best moneymaker. Then the difference between DC's HM and Nick's SB franchises is demand, every single store is HM infested, but who's going to buy all this stuff? Little girls. And who's going to buy SpongeBob stuff? The range is incredibly wide. From toddlers to college kids. So, who wins the franchise battle? @_@

MechaWave

Karate Master
Ugh, they both suck (the live-action shows.) I don't care. @_@

Nyonni Mae

Baby Clam
gonna go with cartoon network??.. is cartoon network in the choices... because disney channel is pretty popular right now... and nickelodeon is at the middle ... and i dont like my schoolmates watching it @_@ .... i like to be different from other people.... always do and always have.. i dont know... iam just irritated the way they talked about in school... the way they sing in school.... the way they act in school, before they are not boastful and now they are..... even though its not pretty to look at.. and now the personality they've picked on the tv shows affected they're attittude .. which is weird for me .. but if my friends talk about it ... then its fine by me.....

i dont think that anyone copied... its not obvious.... i dont know who copied whom.... its gonna be a tough decision... though it doesnt matter for me.... :P

Beatlesnicole

OG SBM member. I love games and reading. DM me la~
gonna go with cartoon network??.. is cartoon network in the choices... because disney channel is pretty popular right now... and nickelodeon is at the middle ... and i dont like my schoolmates watching it @_@ .... i like to be different from other people.... always do and always have.. i dont know... iam just irritated the way they talked about in school... the way they sing in school.... the way they act in school, before they are not boastful and now they are..... even though its not pretty to look at.. and now the personality they've picked on the tv shows affected they're attittude .. which is weird for me .. but if my friends talk about it ... then its fine by me.....

i dont think that anyone copied... its not obvious.... i dont know who copied whom.... its gonna be a tough decision... though it doesnt matter for me.... :P
CN is not even in the choices :P LOL

icy_faith

Floating Shopping List

CN is not even in the choices :P LOL

yeah LOL

~~~~~~
i think i'm gonna side with disney hahaha
i started watching disney since like i was a kid? hahaha
never get tired from the shows .. XXD idk why.. :P
but nick.. spongebob good =))

and seriously hannah montana? ewww..
me gonna stick w/ cartoons xD

but they are both unique in someways ...
i think hahaha

Lazlo

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I think it was Disney, but again, both network's shows contain the same teen comedy routine; corny jokes with canned laughter galore! :P

Back