The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Did Hillenburg ACTUALLY confirm the 2004 film is the end of the timeline? Or debunk it?

teeny2ns

Baby Clam
I hear people say that Steve Hillenburg confirmed that the 2004 movie takes place at the end of the series, but whenever I look for the interview/video/etc where it was confirmed I can never find anything. For a while now I’ve thought maybe it was just a misinterpretation of him saying it was supposed to be the end of the show (as in, there was supposed to be no more episodes after it and production would end, not “this is the chronological finale even though the show continues after it”). I always thought it was a bit odd to say—it’s Spongebob, why would they be concerned about where things fall chronologically unless it’s a big part of the story?

I’ve also heard once or twice that Hillenburg supposedly debunked the idea that the first movie is the end of the timeline at a convention somewhere, and someone else said Vincent Waller or another big part of the crew said the same thing on Twitter (or maybe other social media) but when I look it up I can’t find any evidence or record or posts of either.

Anyone know anything about this? Thoughts?

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
The way I understand it is that the 1st movie WAS supposed to be the end of the series which would also mean the end of the SpongeBob time-line

So technically, the 2004 movie IS the end of the time-line and everything after that is just throwaway filler

You can blame Nickelodeon for messing up the timeline by continuing the show but you can easily disregard all the newer episodes/seasons as not actually being part of the same show

Last edited:

teeny2ns

Baby Clam
So the 1st movie is the end of the timeline? Wow.
Supposedly, but I’ve been wondering about whether Hillenburg truly said that or if it was just a misinterpretation, and now I’m hearing that it was debunked on Twitter so I’m trying to figure it all out

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
Stephen might have said something to that effect around the time the first movie came out. There was a thought at the time that the movie might wrap up the series after the first 3 (or 4, I can't remember) seasons. Of course, the show continued, and I don't think anyone, not even Mr. Hillenburg, could have foreseen how much longer it's gone on.

So I'd take his comments, if they are indeed true, in context.

teeny2ns

Baby Clam
Related to another post I made not too long ago:

I’ve heard over and over that Vincent Waller tweeted that the 2004 movie was not the end of the timeline, but when I look it up I can’t find it. I’ve been really curious about it for a while now, so does anyone have a link or picture of the post or know how to find it? It would be greatly appreciated :)

Back