Did "Help Wanted" really originally only start after SB gets to the Krusty Krab?

youraccent

Floating Shopping List
I guess only people involved with the show's early production would know for sure, but I read somewhere that the pilot ("Help Wanted") originally started with the scene of SpongeBob arriving at the Krusty Krab, and everything before that was added after the series was picked up.

It doesn't really make sense to me, though. There are a lot of great gags in the first few scenes. Also, I remember seeing a behind-the-scenes thing talking about the opening narration and it seems like that was part of the pilot from the beginning.

RedSoxFan274

Baseball. Hockey. SBM vet. I drop in unexpectedly.
Maybe I'm wrong, but if this is true wouldn't there had to have been scenes inside the Krusty Krab that would've been cut out to accommodate the "new" pre-KK scenes?

But this sounds like a fishy theory to me...

youraccent

Floating Shopping List
Yeah, that supported the theory. But I just saw a comment which stated that that theme was simply sandwiched into the original pilot before the Krusty Krab scene. Makes more sense.

youraccent

Floating Shopping List
That's possible, but from what I've read that theme was simply never aired. The person who posted it must have just had it on tape.

I read an interview where Bill Fagerbakke said that the Help Wanted pilot was "about 8 minutes long" -- so that theme was almost certainly in it -- and he would show the pilot to friends to get their thoughts on it. Whoever uploaded that theme online probably has one of the Help Wanted tapes Bill and others passed around.

The 1997 copy of Help Wanted almost certainly went: opening scenes -> old title sequence -> rest of episode.

Back