Continuity

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Whether it's hearing the "That guy got hit in the head with a coconut!" music in The Thing and Squid Baby, or having entire episodes dedicated to the return of old characters like Bubble Buddy Returns, to even smaller references like including Fiasco from "Fiasco!" in "Are You Happy Now?", continuity is undoubtedly becoming a bigger part of SpongeBob.Gotta say, I'm liking it.

It all sort of started in Season 8 (but there were a few mini-nods prior to that), with Bubble Buddy Returns, and kind of expanded from there. Squidward has a bit of an arc throughout the Season, with episodes like Sweet And Sour Squid and Smoothe Jazz At Bikini Bottom feeling like companions to the Season Finale, Hello Bikini Bottom! Along with the aforementioned Fiasco references, Season 8 is the start of budding continuity in the show. But Season 9 continues that.

Episodes like License To Milkshake are based off of jokes in Yours, Mine, And Mine about a milkshake license, Bumper To Bumper references how Mrs. Puff has been arrested on several occasions, and Squid Baby is a weaker retelling of Rock-A-Bye Bivalve. What do you guys think about the continuity exploding in SpongeBob lately? Do you guys want things like Spot to appear again, etc?

Discuss.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I don't mind minor continuity like the things you mentioned, since they don't impact the show in a big way and you don't have to have seen the first episode in order for the one that references it to make sense. Some of them are really closer to references than true continuity.

As for Spot, I don't want him to appear again. That's too big a permanent change for me to be comfortable with. Adding characters is a major sign of jumping the shark and unfortunately Spot would fall under that definition.

OWM

XD
Remember Mr. Krabs' worm Mr. Doodles? He only appeared in a couple of episodes. I think Spot should suffer the same fate: appear in a couple of episodes, but not a lot.

SandTaro05

I'm ready for 2015!
Jibbix said:
What do you guys think about the continuity exploding in SpongeBob lately? Do you guys want things like Spot to appear again, etc?
Yes! :funny: I love the little references to pass episodes, like how Patrick said "Finland!" in Accidents Will Happen and SpongeBob mentioning how he had the suds in Whelk Attack. I always found it a little weird that they never referenced past events in the older seasons...It's like they never happened. 0.o

I'd like Spot and Mr. Doodles to appear again at some point. I'd also like it if Squilvia came back; I wanna know if she and Squidward's date went well enough for them to be in a relationship or to have at least caused them to become friends.

TropicalNards112233

Krabby Patty Burglar
I was watching Patrick's Staycation today, I and noticed that the music that plays when Spongebob rescues Patrick from drowning in the bathtub is the same music that plays in Ripped Pants when the lifeguard rescues Spongebob.

Squiddykins

take back the falls
SandTaro05 said:
Yes! :funny: I love the little references to pass episodes, like how Patrick said "Finland!" in Accidents Will Happen and SpongeBob mentioning how he had the suds in Whelk Attack. I always found it a little weird that they never referenced past events in the older seasons...It's like they never happened. 0.o

I'd like Spot and Mr. Doodles to appear again at some point. I'd also like it if Squilvia came back; I wanna know if she and Squidward's date went well enough for them to be in a relationship or to have at least caused them to become friends.
I'd like for Squilvia to come back sometime as well, I'm just too curious to know what exactly happened on their date.

And as for Spot, it'd be nice if he showed up every once in a while, not being a huge part of the plot. Maybe he can make like a short cameo or something in a future episode.

I like how the continuity is noticeable but doesn't completely change the show... the one thing I hate about most other shows is continuity changing the whole entire show... hate it.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I hope spot appears again
And squridiva too I think they are made for each other

Back