[COMPLETED] Best President Elimination Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
Can't believe it's over now. What am I to do with my life now?

Watch cat videos on YouTube ;)

In all seriousness however, assuming you haven't voted yet, go to the Washington vs Jefferson thread. The first president to reach 5 votes will be declared the winner of the game.

DeadAccount

Floating Shopping List
How about "Save a Mario Party x" minigames? Me and Finn I think would really enjoy that.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Thoughts on the rankings...

3. Surprised he's not Number 1, though it is reasonable to have him at #3, I don't really need to explain why.
4. Another awesome leader, totally understand why he's in the Top 5.
5. Awesome president and founding father, definitely agree on having him this high on the list.
6. One of the best presidents of the 20th century, Eisenhower was a WWII war hero, who led America through, at least in my opinion, the golden age of 20th century America (1953-1963). Probably the highlight of his administration was his attribution towards desegregation in the South.
7. Led us through WWII, it's kind of hard to dislike that aspect. His domestic policy is widely up for debate, many don't care for how much growth he's contributed to the U.S government, though regardless of how these affected America (Probably the biggest domestic policy of his Great Society legislation was the development of Welfare, a program with proper intentions, which has been severely misued and taken for granted, since), he was victorious in changing the course of America.
8. Amazing leader who unfortunately was taken from us too soon. Sure he botched the Bay of Pigs invasion, but his incredible diplomatic skills in the Cuban Missile Crisis essentially prevented nuclear war from breaking out. He had a bold and wonderful vision (Which thankfully some of which was successfully carried out thanks to the mourning America after his assassination [Civil Rights, the Space Race]).
9. Madison's a founding father. And it's hard to hate a founding father, unless they've done something unconstitutional (John Adams' attempts at preventing freedom of speech). I have mixed feelings on his handling of the War of 1812, but it was a victory nonetheless, and he did open the way for the "Era of Good feelings'.
10. This guy's legacy is debatable. He's the hero of Republicans, an enemy of Democrats, there's a lot Reagan did right, and a lot he did wrong. A lot question whether the things he did right (Contribute to the fall of communism, or bring forth an era of economic growth) were accomplished through wrong (His ridiculous Space Force [Wonder where I heard that before?] concept to fight the Soviets, a lot of spending on the military, how he contributed to the gap between the rich and the middle class, etc.) I don't necessarily have a solid opinion on Reagan, he's a very mixed bag president. He's either a hero, or a bad president in most eye's, and in this case, we've viewed him as the hero.
11. Criminally underrated president. There might not have been that many triumphs under his administration, but I entirely respect his principles.
12. He had his faults and his problems. He saw a time of great imperialism in the U.S (Something that has had it's benefits, though I don't necessarily care for this principle).
13. Yeah, I know how this guy got to #13. Thanks FinnDinner :P
14. Nixon at #14? This really is a weird list. Usually he's ranked among the worst. Yes the Watergate crime was the very worst of this man, though I won't deny the accomplishments under his administration (The beginning of Vietnam's end, the environmental protection agency, and growing U.S relations with communist China).
15. Yeah, I don't really care for Adams. His attempts at abolishing free speech is really the main thing that comes to mind when I think of him.
16. A bold, ambitious leader, who didn't have a chance to develop the country as he wanted to, due to his life being cut short. I have a feeling he had the potential to be a great president, but he really wasn't due to his short presidency. Not sure why he's ranked so high, though.
17. Another incredibly underrated president, Bush Sr. watched under the fall of the Soviet Union (Though really that was more of a result on Reagan/The Soviet Union's own incompetence), he properly handled the Persian Gulf War, and probably the best achievement of his administration, he played a huge role in the creation of NAFTA. Sure, Clinton ratified it, but Bush Sr. played a heavy role in it's creation. While he essentially lost reelection due to the recession at the time of office, he did ultimately play a role in the 90's era of peace and prosperity. Yeah, I'm kind of biased towards this guy (Which is why I skipped over his role in the Iran-Contra affair, which is perhaps the worst thing he's done). He's not only a class act gentlemen, he's also the oldest living president in history, that's pretty cool.
18. Chester Arthur is an incredibly overlooked president. He was successful in balancing the budget (A feat that's near impossible to do these days), believed in progressing America forward, though not through too ambitious spending (His expansion of the navy is evidence of that).
19. Completely agree having Coolidge so high on the list. I'd rank him higher, but it's still great seeing him so high.
20. Ah, James K. Polk. An incredibly underrated President who sought to do the bold and unexpected, and essentially did just that. He was successful in expanding the country, though I don't agree with how exactly he did that, through warfare. Yeah, you can spend a lot of time debating how this effected the country, given how this opened the doors for discussion on free/slave states (The beginning of North/South tensions), though this also gave us the entirety of the West Coast.j
21. Ah, Gerald Ford. A good man, had to take a blow (That ultimately cost him the election) to get the country moving forward from Watergate. Didn't really do anything impressive during his nearly two-and-a-half year term. But why did he get so high on the list, that's what I wanna know?
22. It's funny how much I like Taft, when I know so little about him. Gotta read up on what he's done.
23. The most obscure U.S president, how did he get ahead of Clinton and LBJ? Though I don't know much about his presidency, I do know the merits on which he was elected brought an end to the necessary Reconstruction era, and pretty much allowed the South to have the freedom to pass the awful Jim Crow laws that dominated Southern racism in the early 20th century.
24. A champion in domestic policy, a failure in foreign policy. Essentially one sentence to sum up his presidency.
25. He's not a good president, but you can't really call him a bad one, either. His presidency was so short, you can't really say much about him.
26. Again, don't know much on this man.
27. Surprised Clinton is this low on this, given how much people have grown to like him, especially since the Bush years. Clinton is essentially the opposite Dubya, in my opinion. He's not that great of a guy, but he was an effective leader. The ratification of NAFTA gave way for a period of peace and prosperity, we had finally seen our first federal surplus in decades, by the end of his first term. I don't agree with all his policies, I think the greatest failure of this administration was underestimating terrorism (Though not as badly as the Bush administration did before 9/11). Plus, the Monica Lewinsky scandal will essentially go to his grave.
28. The Great Depression essentially ruined this man's presidency, so I understand why he's this low on the list.
29. C o n t r o v e r s i a l. His presidency has been a wild ride (For better or worse) so far. We're not even halfway through it, so I can't really discuss his presidency entirely. At best, the economy is booming under his administration, unemployment is at it's lowest in over a decade, (Here comes the controversial part) and his immigration policy is effective. At worst, his Twitter account is just awful, he won't stop his name-calling tactics of the campaign (It made sense why he utilized this when he was campaigning, but as president he looks like a jackass, sprouting all these lame insults), his administration is swarmed in the swamp, so many scandals are under his name, and whether you're for gun control, or alternative ways (Extensive background checks), he's failed to properly respond to all these mass shootings that have occurred under his administration. Surprised he's made it this high on the list, considering how many people on this site are against him.
30 I don't know much about Van Buren, but his policies were of good intention, though the Panic of 1837 essentially tarnished his presidency.
31. I recommend the Cynical Historian's video on Wilson to get the gist of it.
32. He was a Civil War hero, had a decent first term (Don't know much about it), though the Panic of 1873 definitely tarnished the rest of his presidency. He's an average president, I can see why he's around here.
33. Oh Carter. He's a good man, but an ineffective president. I will give him credit, he did manage to get the Iran hostages out (Though they were released at the time so Carter wouldn't get any credit), but I think they should've gotten out a lot earlier. Carter is a humble man of (These days) left-centered principles. Obviously the guy had good intentions, but he essentially failed to respond to the growing Stagflation of the late 70's, the Energy Crisis, and of course there's the overthrowing of the Shah. That Camp David accord was pretty impressive, though I wouldn't say it has positively affected those relations in the long run.
34. Again, not much on this guy. Pretty much an all around average president (Though I am aware of his Tariff policy).
35. Oh boy, there's a lot to say about Jackson. I don't know the entirety of his presidency, though. So I can understand seeing him this low, though I'd put him a little higher on the list.
36. Given he's believed to have much more of an ambitious plan on tackling slavery than just about any other president afterwards, I feel as though 1850s & 1860s America could've been entirely different (For better or worse) had he not died so early into office. I get why he's this low, but I don't think he should be this low.
37. Don't know much about what he's done in office. I do appreciate his position on state's rights.
38. Finally, someone who actually doesn't blindly treat Obama like some kind of god. Obama was a weak president, his response on growing racial tensions (Police Brutality/Black Lives Matter) was ineffective to the issue, I don't care for the principles of Universal healthcare (I do understand the whole issue if you can't afford a plan, but a lack of public option severely damaged Obamacare), lack of real any action on the rise of ISIS, and the loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs. Keep in mind how fast we generally get out of recession. Yes, the Great Recession was a lot more devastating than just about any other recession, but it took until around late 2016 for the economy to really start picking up. The best Obama's done was lead the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden, I won't deny that was his foreign policy victory.
39. Agreed. As much of a funny guy as he is, Bush Jr's response to 9/11 & Katrina only made matters worse. The failed Afghanistan War (Which should've been over a lot sooner, had proper military action be used along with the Afghan natives), the unnecessary Iraq War, lack of response for Katrina, and of course the disastrous late 2000's Great Recession occurred under his watch. I have a fascination with this man, he's such a terrible president, but he definitely has this odd charisma.
40. Very Scandalous man. I don't think he's really worthy of being this low on the list (Though I don't exactly know the entirety of the Tea Pot Dome scandal).
41. Now I don't know too much about Fillmore. I do know his policy on the Northern/Southern tensions were lousy.
42. Agreed, Pierce does deserve to be so low on the list. All he did was make tensions between the North/South worse than before.
43. Talk about not doing anything, Buchanan completely deserves to be this low on the list, his lack of really, anything, in hopes of remaining neutral ultimately led to the Civil War. Sure, Pierce's "Bloody Kansas" act was awful, but at least he was tackling this issue.
44. Absolutely agree. This man is responsible for the injustice of racial inequality in the south that remained for a near-century. I get Lincoln was trying to unite the country by having him appointed as VP, but this guy was at the wrong place at the wrong time, the last thing we needed was a Southern Sympathizer as President, right after a nasty Civil War between the South and the North.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back